4.0 out of 5 stars Still brilliant but...
NOTE: although I am not planning to reveal any plot details, I cannot review this product without writing about what I perceived as a general change of tone in the series, so if you don't want to know *anything* stop reading now.

Published 6 months ago by Mr. F. T. Saffre

1.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD - rip-off marketing
The series is great and I am a big fan, but when you buy a Season box-set and no one tells you it is actually Part 1 of 2 and you get to the end ... and it isn't you are not going to be happy.
Great DVD, terrible marketing and misleading by not making it clear what you are getting, especially when by the time you have paid for Season 5 and then the "final...
Published 1 month ago by p j

4.0 out of 5 stars Still brilliant but..., 8 April 2014

What I really enjoyed about the first 3 seasons of BB was the fact that Walter came out as a really smart, really nice guy who's being dragged to the "dark side" by a combination of two things: the failure of modern society to recognise and use his talent (as brilliantly illustrated by his being forced to wash one of his student's car to make ends meet) and sheer bad luck (his lung cancer).

However, as could already be felt toward the end of series 3, Walter is progressively embracing his new career as a criminal and slowly adopting the values of his drug-dealing partners (e.g. "kill or get killed"). Perhaps the writers' intention was to demonstrate that anybody can "break bad", in which case they succeeded brilliantly (not to mention that, as unfortunate as it is, they may well be right). Nevertheless, it came as a mild disappointment to me, because after a while, I could no longer empathise with Walter as much as I did at the beginning of the show.

By contrast, I found myself warming up to Jessie, whom I initially disliked as a bit of a yobbish idiot. He at least remains true to his questionable but honest values and, by virtue of essentially remaining the same, gradually becomes the most sensitive and least ruthless of the pair. Again, this might have been the writers' intention but, again, it contributed to the show losing some of its appeal in my eyes.

In conclusion: BB remains great entertainment, with a brilliant script, top class acting and some useful lessons in life and human nature. I just wish these lessons had been slightly different...

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Season so far, 14 Nov 2013
BB just gets better and better. Walter the magnificent manipulator excels in this season and is getting badder than ever. Fabulous!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 25 Nov 2013
This is one of the best productions I have ever seen - absolutely superb acting. Good quality DVD as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 7 Oct 2014
Like everyone else-am completely hooked on Breaking Bad. Having been told by our student kids how brilliant it was, my husband and I thought we'd see what all the fuss was about. Well we were hooked from the start and take every opportunity to watch more episodes-going to bed late every night, forsaking all other tv programs, - it seems Meth isnt the only drug! Watching season 4 at present, but have season 5, and the final season ready and waiting. Im so hooked, Ive even resorted to reading other peoples comments on the last two seasons, to see if they give any clue to what happens next, as I cant wait to know how it ends (but fortunately no one is giving the plot away).
For anyone wondering whether its worth a watch-the answer is most definitely YES!

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling Viewing, 8 Dec 2013
Having watched the previous 3 seasons I couldnt wait to start watching season4.Oh my goodness one minute you are laughing the next you are shocked and speechless.I ended up watching 6 episodes in a row, I couldnt stop!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the greatest season of a great show, 28 Dec 2013
K. Gordon - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
What can be said about this spectacular saga that hasn't been said before? One of the very
few series that competes with the best films in history for achievement in cinematic storytelling.
Like a great novel slowly unfolding, it's funny, heartbreaking, incredibly tense, deeply disturbing,
full of brilliant plot twists, rich, compelling characters and a pitch-black sense of humor.

A nebbishy high-school science teacher finds he has lung cancer, so becomes a meth dealer to
make money for his family before his death. Often visually stunning, with a breathtaking
performance by Brian Cranston in the lead, and great work from all the supporting roles,
this portrait of a man's decent into hell couldn't be much better, and it just grows darker and
more disturbing each year.

In a way, thematically it recalls "The Godfather I and II" in how that epic charts Michael's journey
from innocence to darkness, along with the moral murkiness of the endless drive for money
and success - how we lose ourselves, so that succeeding and having ever more becomes an
end in itself for which we will pay any price, rather than a route to happiness, trapping us in a
game we can never win.

This fourth season take the form of an epic battle for control between Walter and his
nemisis Gus. Along the way Walter's morality crumbles even as he becomes ever more
brilliant at manipulating the people and situations around him. And just enough of his
remaining humanity pokes through to keep us caring in spite of ourselves.
This is powerful, important and utterly enthralling stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars **WARNING**, 14 Jan 2014
Easy G (Leicester, England) - See all my reviews
Just a word of warning. This whole series is seriously damaging to your health and will cause you to sit in front of your TV for hours on end forsaking anything else that is happening in your life. You have been warned..........

4.0 out of 5 stars Season 4 breaking Bad, 30 Jan 2014
Once hooked into Braking Bad, every season seems to surpass the one before; no exception here; can't beleive Walt will still be alive for seasons 5 & 6!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the bomb, 7 April 2014
Mr. M. Ellis (Northants, UK) - See all my reviews
More of the same way better than most of the rubbish on TV nowadays. I just want to know what is the replacement..I'm getting withdrawal symptoms...

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 6 April 2014
I say this honestly. There has never been a better TV show in production EVER! My whole family is hooked and I just have to own all the boxsets. Will be buying in blueray as soon as i get my bluray player.

Breaking Bad - Series 4