5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant series!
Published 14 months ago by stageonesimmo

3.0 out of 5 stars An improvement on previous books
I have read all 13 books in the series and this is the best to date. If the needless juvenile banter between the chracters is ignored (& the rather 'oddball' character development) R.R Haywood shows some genuine talent as a writer. The best of the passages are reminiscent of the early work of James Hebert. Maybe it is time to get a decent editor to iron out the (sometimes...
Published 15 months ago by W Innes

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant series!, 29 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Undead Day Thirteen (Kindle Edition)
Having read the series from book one I am impressed with not only the story telling but more importantly, the character progression. The central characters are easy to identify with and act in ways its not too difficult to imagine any normal person would react in such circumstances adding to the gritty realism and supporting the well thought out and realistic story line. The action is non-stop and even when its glaringly obvious exactly where things are heading you still need to keep reading - not so much that you might miss a plot twist or surprise, but more that you want to make sure they all make it and dont want to miss any of the jokes or personal revelations along the way - you just feel that connected to the characters.

As an ex-soldier of 23 years I have to inwardly laugh at the amount of GPMG ammo they must be carrying in the back of that Saxon and few other little technical glitches crop up but they in no way detract from the book(s) overall feel or damage the story's plausibility or realism.

The new characters in this book are a welcome addition expanding the humour even further and bringing new skills into the mix, coupled to the reappearance of Maddox and his crews expanding the team's potential for success.

You'll need to read the book to understand, but what we discover about Howie at the end has been hovering subtly in the background all along and now that it's out there and confirmed - I cant wait for the next installment to find out where it takes us, what it means for Howie, the group, their plans and most of all, the infection iteslf.............

I thoroughly recommend this book and the rest of the series - its right up there with the best in the genre - each one has you turning pages franticly and laughing and panicing in equal measure. Come on Mr Haywood, I need day 14!

Bri

5.0 out of 5 stars From strength to strength..., 28 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Undead Day Thirteen (Kindle Edition)
I have just finished day 13 and I am as impressed as ever. The introduction of some new characters is always welcome as it gives Mr Haywood a chance to demonstrate again how in tune he is with the types of people that make up our diverse society. I found Roy and his hypochondria extremely amusing and sympathised with his borderline obsessive compulsive behaviour. Once again R R Haywood shows an incredibly accurate understanding of some of the people we share our world with. With the Paula storyline he once again demonstrates his ability to create characters who are immensely likeable and contrast these with equally loathsome ones, again probing the depths of human behaviour and how people are prone to act in times of pressure and crisis.

I have been a fan of zombies and the zombie genre for many years, with an interest ranging from watching George A Romero's original trilogy as a child and exploring the streets of Raccoon city in the early Resident Evil days to reading current zombie fiction and watching more modern examples of zombies depicted in film and television. At first I thought my interest was solely in zombies themselves but have become to realise that what interests me even more is the way that society would degrade and people would act when faced with such a threat, and it is this that has also clearly captured the vast imagination of R R Haywood. The genre has never, in my opinion, been approached with such depth of thought and such attention to detail until the undead series. R R Haywood is able to switch deftly and seamlessly between action, humour, deep sadness and from time to time even eroticism, with a talent that convinces me that he could excel in any genre (an opinion also proven by his excellent Mike Humber crime fiction novel), but his success and writing ability in the zombie genre shows his true passion for the subject.

One of the most impressive features of his writing are his action sequences, of which day 13 is a prime example, as the last chapters depict Howie's most ambitious and large scale battle with the undead to date. He so successfully sets the pace and raises the adrenaline that I found that the pace of my reading actually increased with it (although I think this is due in part to having to find out what happened next as soon as possible!). R R Haywood's use of description, first person style and wording in equal measure create a truly unique immersion into the story.

I was gripped by day 13 throughout, as I have been with the other 12 books in the series. As the title of this review denotes, R R Haywood's writing goes from strength to strength and his latest cliffhanger has left me waiting in anticipation for the next instalment. While I wait I have resolved to go back to Day 1, as I feel that what I have learned about Howie and his team in the latter instalments of their journey will enrich my experience of their earlier adventures. I can think of no better testament to Mr Haywood's intrinsic level of character development. Keep up the fine work!

5.0 out of 5 stars You must read these books, 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Undead Day Thirteen (Kindle Edition)
Having finished Day Thirteen I am now lost and finding it difficult to get into any other book keep checking every day for Day Fourteen. If you have not read any of R.R.Haywood's book you just don't know what you are missing and I highly recommend you get them, I am now starting to reread the series while I paitiently wait for Day Fourteen to come out. Great story line lots of twists and turns you laugh and cry with Howie and his companions and you just don't want the story to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 Oct 2013
Dh Rees - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Undead Day Thirteen (Kindle Edition)
This series has humour, action, characters you care about and a plot that develops wonderfully. The best I have read by along way- has a big publisher got hold of this yet? Read the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Day in Zombieland, 1 Oct 2013
Wes Fazzani "Wes" (S. London. England. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Undead Day Thirteen (Kindle Edition)
Having read the first twelve books in this series in a block sitting I have been waiting, what seems like, forever for this book and having devoured it much like a zombie devours brains all I can really say is Jolly Good Job Mr. Haywood.
The chances are that if you are buying this you have read the precious 12 episodes and if you have I will silly say you will not be disappointed. RR Haywood just seems to get better as a writer with each installment. And if you haven't read the others first I would seriously suggest that you go and so it now and god are you in for a treat
Abso"f@@king"lutely 5 Stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Howie, Dave a nd the crew stike again..., 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Undead Day Thirteen (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant book in a "franchise" that could continue to run and run ( I hope it does) this book sets up a whole new direction with Lani and Howie with how the book ends, but I'll say no more!..just read it and if you have never read any of the series what are you waiting for, a truly magnificent Zombie tale set in the UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars More gore. Yay!, 13 Jun 2014
R. Jones (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Undead Day Thirteen (Kindle Edition)
I love these books, I'm not embarrassed to admit that I might be a tad obsessed. Out of the thousands of books I own there are only a few that make it onto my 'Chicken Soup' list. The Shike books by Robert Shea, Portents by James Herbert, Harry Sidebottoms Warrior of Rome series & The Man Who Lived At The End Of The World by Robert Davies. These have all been left on my bookshelf since I read Day One of The Undead-I can't help but finish them and then start again from the beginning-I'd love to have them on my bookshelf-please Mr Publisher?

5.0 out of 5 stars Wooohooooo, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Undead Day Thirteen (Kindle Edition)
Another great read in the saga of howie dave lani et all. More explosions axes traps heroes villains and of course bows n arrows!!!!! Well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Undead Day Thirteen (Kindle Edition)
Another book in a brilliant series that just drags you deeper into the story.
I bought day 13 & 14 together as I know once I start I cant stop and put them down.
I have rated this so highly to my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Undead Day Thirteen (Kindle Edition)
Looking forward to next installment, have raced through this whole series. A fun escape from reality (I hope ! ), where to next for the group ?

The Undead Day Thirteen