5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping
Published on 11 Aug 2003 by - alikat -

3.0 out of 5 stars 5 star movie, 3 star DVD...
What a disappointment it is when a studio releases a special edition DVD a week before the theatrical release of the sequel, you just know that it isn't for the viewers benefit.
But, being a huge fan of the movie and not in possession of the previous DVD release i thought i would get this one, the "collectors edition". Very disappointing.
Don't get me wrong...
Published on 11 April 2005 by A. Mcafee

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 11 Aug 2003
- alikat - (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Ring [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
So I settled down on my own (somewhat complacently) and watched The Ring last weekend. I knew nothing about the film other than it being about a video tape and people dying after they watch it. Personally I'm thinking it can't be that scary with a ridiculous storyline like this, so I was expecting one of those tongue in cheek slasher type movies. I can tell you now that this is no picnic in the park; it's an intelligent, haunting and well put together film with a very clever plot. From the opening scene you're drawn straight it and there's no let up throughout. There is little actual gory bits, the scary element is really got across in the bleak washed out filming, the sounds, the imagery and the usual jumps along the way. It does well in making it difficult to predict what's going to happen next and what happens at the end; which is partly what makes it so good. The ending is superb, definitely not what you expect. My brother called right after it finished and I nearly had a heart attack. One that stays with you!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ring, 24 Mar 2006
By A Customer
I rented this movie before buying it, and I have to say, it is an absoloutely great horror film! Naomi Watts stars as the despondent mother who faces death if she doesn't defeat the 'curse.'
I don't want to go into too much detail, but this film really is a great horror film. It isn't a hack'n'slash sort of film, it is a psychological thriller of sorts, and i cannot do more than to point you in the direction of this stunning epic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Edge-of-your-seat type stuff!, 5 Oct 2003
This review is from: The Ring [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I saw this movie twice at the cinema, and i recently bought the dvd. This remake is absolutely fantastic, well acted and the effects are brilliant. Unpredictable, terrifying, and enthralling! Lets hope that they remake the other ring films in the series. By the way, on the dvd, the special features listed are "Dont Watch This Video", "The Video" (long) and Trailer*. If you can't find the video of Samara's message dont panic cuz it is there, i found it yesterday, i was about to return it because this special feature was missing, but then i thought, "well the gimmic of this film was that you aren't supposed to see the video, so it must be hidden" and i was right. The video is hidden, what you need to do is: when you see the red arrow that tells you what you are selecting, keep pressing down until you can't see the arrow, press enter and voila, there it is, it goes straight into it. Enjoy the dvd, its an amazing, one-of-a-kind horror movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Terrorful', no matter your predisposition, 30 July 2003
Dr. Damian M. Smith (Salisbury, Wilts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ring [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
My lady and i went to see this at the cinema. Im the sort of hopeless romantic who therefore sits through 'Horrors' with my thumbs in my ears, fingers over my eyes, humming to myself. On the other hand the girlfriend loves to be scared, and generally sits quietly, laughing to herself. But we went to see The Ring and have never quite been the same since.
This movie has both enough gore to satisfy the slasher movie lovers and the 'i cant breathe' suspense of any good psychological thriller. But it also has an excellent, twisty plot which continously changes direction to keep you guessing, and takes so many turns for the worse that you just want it to end. When it does, its such a relief, it all makes sense, and you can relax - your smiling. At this point a 'Carrie-esque' final sting in the tail finishes you off. And dont worry about my having ruined it for you, believe me, you wont anticipate this!
For myself, there was no point trying to block out whats was on-screen, as to close ones eyes only made it worse! Cheryl, as usual, laughed her way through it. Only im now not the one with recurring nightmares months down the line now am i? ;-) So. A good movie for testing your nerve and getting that viceral thrill if your like me, and a delight for the Horror terrorists who think nothing can effect them. Needless to say with the DVD about to be released, we are inevitably drawn to a second sitting - better or worse second time around i wonder? See it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Could it be? A decent Hollywood remake?, 11 Feb 2004
This review is from: The Ring [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Usually Hollywood remakes of successful horror films are a less than average job, and not at all scary, but The Ring is a completely different story.
Based on the famous Japanese 'Ring' movie series, which is in turn based on a popular series of novels written by Koji Suzuki, The Ring is a fast pased race against time, and provides the shocks and thrills that most American horrors deliver. The difference between The Ring and most other Hollywood horrors however, is the eerie sense of mystery that is floating around throughout the film.
Throughout the film, the story and characters are shrouded with mystery. From the hints of Samara's past, and the complete lack of details on her birth and origins, to little details like the fact that the title "The Ring" is not actually displayed at the start of the film (instead, a flash image of the Ring itself appears around the 'Dreamworks moon'), the film always leaves you wondering what the history of Samara, and the cursed tape actually is.
After seeing this film I became engrossed in the story, and I then went on to watch all of the Japanese originals. The story of The Ring is very confusing at points, and leaves a lot of room for the imagination to run wild. This film is something completely different to any other horror you are bound to see, and I recommend that everyone should give it a try. For a genuine scare, and a great film experience at the same time, this is the one to choose!
The only let-down is the lack of extras on the DVD - something which the producers intended to happen. Still, it is worth buying the DVD just to see the 15-minute section of deleted scenes. Rather than selecting each scene individually, they are all pieced together in the form of a short film, with short flashes of the 'curse tape' in between scenes.
The only other extras are a trailer (which let me add, is not at all Ring related and very pointless) and a hidden extra which allows you to watch the killer tape itself, in it's longer, freakier form.
Even if you've seen the VHS version, I recommend buying the DVD... I own both of them myself. Although the Hollywood version does lack some qualities of the Japanese originals, it is still a brilliant film, and a genuinely scary one at that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Scared the living **** out of me!, 2 Oct 2003
This review is from: The Ring [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
A television screen full of static hasn't been this frightening since 'Poltergeist'.
In brief (and without revealing anything crucial), a sceptical journalist hears of a videotape which causes anyone who watches it to die seven days later. Of course, she boldly investigates, finds the tape, watches it (in a most foolhardy fashion if you ask me...) and starts to wonder if perhaps the story is true. Because if it is, she has only seven days to get to the bottom of the mystery.
A truly atmospheric psychological thriller, where the horror element is supplied by a steadily growing sense of menace, rather than copious quantities of blood and gore. Creepy, seemingly random images get even more scary as the story unfolds and their significance is revealed.
I have deducted one star simply because there are some deleted scenes in the special features that should have been left in.
Watch it, but not on your own. And you might want to turn all your mirrors to the wall before it starts. Oh, and the day after watching it, don't do what I did and accidentally flip to an untuned channel on the video. I swear I left my seat.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'll never watch an unmarked VHS again!!!!!!, 5 Oct 2003
Mr. Pa Ortiz "I need to...return some video t... (Colchester, Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ring [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
While investigating the deaths of several teenagers who have apparently fallen victim to a "posessed" video tape, an unsuspecting reporter unwittingly embarks on a race against time to defeat the curse of The Ring, evade a rather horrible death before 7 days are up, save her son (who thought it was a good idea to watch the tape...it wasn't by the way) and uncover the mystery of perhaps the most scary 8 year old girl ever to grace the screen. With a plot like that, things could very easily have gone wrong. Fortunately, they didn't.
The acting is for the most part, spot on (with Mulholland Drive's Naomi Watts delivering a solid performance). The visuals are executed tastefully, with the whole thing playing and feeling like a piece of surrealistic artwork. And thankfully things don't degenerate into a CGI-fest like so many other promising films of recent times. Admittedly most of the "action" for want of a better word, is packed into the first, and last 20 minutes of the film so those with short attention spans need not apply. Personally I like the sense of tension created by the slower moving middle section of the movie and you really do get that sense of suspense as the 7th day draws nearer. Sadly, a little more attention could of gone into explaining several key elements - specifically regarding Samara (the little girl who's spirit resides in the tape), as well as the connection between her and Rachels - Watts - son. While the film may leave you confused in some areas, it at least gives you something to talk about for a good few hours. Nevertheless, 1 star has to come off!
I confess to not havin seen the original "Ring", so I can't tell you if you should go and watch that instead. But I can tell you that the remake is highly watchable, scary and unsettling! With a central protagonist who elicits both sympathy and fear, spine chilling visuals, and a fantastic ending, "The Ring" is certainly worth a watch...if not several! In fact, I'm gunna order my copy now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Is she still in the dark place?, 13 July 2011
Spike Owen "John Rouse Merriott Chard" (Birmingham, England.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Ring [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
After the mysterious death of her niece Katie, journalist Rachel Keller starts to investigate an urban legend about a videotape which kills you seven days after watching it. With dire consequences coming her way if she can not solve the mystery....

The sentence, English language remake of successful foreign horror film has been known to instill fear of the wrong kind in many a genre fan. So when it was announced that Gore Verbinski was to remake Hideo Nakata's terrifying nerve shredder, Ringu, the reaction in horror circles was akin to someone urinating on your chips. Refreshing to report then that The Ring is a candidate for best American remake and proof positive that remakes sometimes can be a good thing.

Starring Naomi Watts {who is terrific} as Rachel, Verbinski and writer Ehren Kruger {adapting from Kôji Suzuki's novel} successfully transfer the atmospherics of Nakata's piece to a dank and eerie Seattle. It's with atmosphere that The Ring starts to play on your nerves, after viewing the creepy and unsettling tape itself, we ourselves have been set up for the race against the clock that is driving Rachel on. And as the mystery starts to unravel, and sadness threatens to take hold, the story quickly shifts direction to give horror one of its most baddest and cruelest characters. It's impact is the kind that crawls under your skin and refuses to move when you are trying to sleep at night.

Tho the story has been streamlined from its source, The Ring still has a bit too much filler in its structure. Feeling a need to give Watts a quest among quests, Verbinski almost over cooks the mystery essence of the plot. But with much relief, he reins it in to stop any sort of scooby doo like nonsense detracting from the creepy sense of dread that has been built up. The ending here works, but it is a tone down from the source and with that it's not even close to Nakata's version, and just maybe it has something to do with Dream Works wanting to secure a PG-13 rating? What is left tho is a truly suspenseful and unsettling thriller-come horror film. One that even on revisits manages to bother and keep one on the edge. It made an $80 million profit in America alone, ensuring that a sequel was sure to follow. Now that one was a bad idea! 8/10

5.0 out of 5 stars powerful, 7 Jan 2004
This review is from: The Ring [VHS] [2003] (VHS Tape)
I reluctantly hired this film after months of debate. All the reviews said it's really scary. I'm glad I've seen it but at the same time I wish I hadn't. It is a truly harrowing film.
I tried not to watch bits of it but it completely drew me in and I was compelled, even through the disturbing parts, to watch.
I spent the rest of the night being spooked by everything. All day the film's been preying on my mind. I daren't watch it again but I think if you are a fan of this type of film it is a must see.

3.0 out of 5 stars 5 star movie, 3 star DVD..., 11 April 2005
A. Mcafee "curb_your_enthusiasm1983" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
Don't get me wrong This movie is fantastic, truly scary in a Blair Witch kind of way, great acting, great everything. But enough of the lovey dovey stuff - this review is about the DVD.
The features are weak - The "making of" is barely 8 minutes long and is not at all enlightening. The short film - "Ring" - is very good though.
Too bad that there is no commentary - but worst of all is the exclusion of a feature that was on the original DVD, The actual ring video as a stand alone extra. A glaring ommission to make and such a simple one to include.
Too many lacklustre DVDs are being released these days, and this is one of them.

The Ring