1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice compilation of their Christmas music, 29 Nov 2013
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Classic Christmas Album (Audio CD)
Tammy recorded her own Christmas album in 1970 (of which various versions have been released with between 10 and 12 tracks), and seven tracks from it have been included here. I was never (and I'm still not) sure if George ever recorded an entire Christmas album (it seems not), but he recorded some Christmas songs, including two duets with Tammy (Mr and Mrs Santa Claus, The greatest Christmas gift) that were released as both sides of a single in 1973. Neither track has been released on any version of Tammy's Christmas album that I know about, but I'd heard Mr and Mrs Santa Claus on the radio a few times and I'm pleased to find it here with its B-side, which is also wonderful.

Two George Jones solo tracks (New baby for Christmas, Maybe next Christmas) were released as both sides of a 1957 single. Coincidentally, I found them on two other multi-artist Christmas compilations that I ordered with this CD, but I don't mind the duplication. Lonely Christmas call, another George Jones solo and my favorite among his solo tracks here, was one side of a 1962 single. Silver bells (a duet by George Jones and Gene Watson), and three other George Jones solos (O little town of bethlehem, Jingle bells, Joy to the world) have been previously rleased on multi-artist Christmas compilations.

One other George Jones Christmas recording that I know about is My Mom and Santa Claus, which I have on the multi-artist Rhino compilation Hillbilly Holiday. Many of the tracks were making their CD debut on that compilation, but most have since been released on other CDs since.

Having all the Tammy solo tracks already, I bought this primarily to get the duets, especially the two with Tammy, and George's solo tracks, but the choice of Tammy tracks to include is excellent, although there was plenty of room to include the five other Tammy solo tracks that I know about, these being O Little Town of Bethlehem, Joy To The World, Gentle Shepherd, Lonely Christmas Call and Let's Put Christ Back Into Christmas. You'll see that George recorded three of those five songs, and his versions are included here. Among the Tammy solo tracks selected for inclusion, all but two are covers of classic Christmas songs, the exceptions being One happy Christmas and Merry Christmas (We must be having one). I believe Tammy was the original singer of those two, but I've heard other versions, notably by Irish country singer Susan McCann, who covered both songs.

This is a great Christmas collection for country fans generally, but particularly for George and Tammy's fans.

Tracks

14. Silent Night, Holy Night - Tammy
15. (Merry Christmas) We Must Be Having One - Tammy
16. The Greatest Christmas Gift - George and Tammy

Classic Christmas Album
Classic Christmas Album by George Jones & Tammy Wynette (Audio CD - 2013)