4.0 out of 5 stars Upgraded to 2014 without problems
Published 11 months ago by Mr. Michael Gover

1.0 out of 5 stars If you don't like "pushed" in app purchases, stay clear!
Gonna give this 2*'s as it "seems" to do what it's meant to.

So, one thing that really, really, really bugs me, is when you BUY something, and then you get bugged to buy their other somethings.

Published 4 months ago by R. Allsopp

4.0 out of 5 stars Upgraded to 2014 without problems, 13 Oct 2013
This review is from: AVG Internet Security 2014 - 3 User - 1 Year (PC) (License)
I was cautious about this because I had heard a lot about poor performance, but it installed and ran happily without appearing to have an adverse effect on performance (except during updates, which was always a pain). I have even reactivated 'link scanner' and 'identity protect',which in the 2012 version of AVG did cause performance problems. I did, on installation, choose the 'expert' settings and omitted the non-English manual, the AVG toolbar and home page. Some have found those things a pain, but I believe you can opt out after installation.

The AVG firewall is not working on my installation, but I may have opted not to install it. Anyway I am happy with the Windows XP firewall and if you have a decently configured router a software firewall adds little benefit. Definitely you don't need two software firewalls. [Since writing this and the demise of XP support I have installed the AVG firewall, and so far as I can tell, it works just fine.]

A full scan of a 200GB disk and 500GB back up drive took nearly three hours, so not wonderful but no worse than Malware Bytes.

By default it reports on macros and locked files. These can be a symptom of infection but on my PC they were the ones I expected to see. You can set the display to not include these.

I have now started using the AVG 'secure search' facility, which currently appears to work just as well as Google.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 29 Sep 2013
I've just purchased this 2014 AVG because the 2013 AVG version was recommended to me last year by an IT consultant, which I installed/used (was previously using Kaspersky). I found AVG much better than their previous versions (& Kaspersky) and it didn't take so many resources on my computer as Kaspersky had been doing. It's just come up for renewal, which I could have done online via AVG, but it would have been much more expensive.

This 2014 version was easy to install (I uninstalled the previous version first) and very quick.

LICENCE NO info: At first I thought I'd been given the wrong licence no. because AVG wouldn't accept it on the set up screen, but then I read the receipt and despatch document properly (doh!!). The number you are given with the CD is the "Activation Code" !!! You need this to obtain the equivalent Licence Number from AVG, so you first have to REGISTER the activation code, then AVG will give you the Licence Number. Only then can you INSTALL the product. It does tell you all this in your documents (I was cutting corners!!)

Also, regarding the seller, I ordered it Thursday and it arrived on Friday - even though the Amazon despatch document said it may take up to 12 days. Great stuff!!

1.0 out of 5 stars If you don't like "pushed" in app purchases, stay clear!, 7 May 2014
R. Allsopp - See all my reviews
Gonna give this 2*'s as it "seems" to do what it's meant to.

Let me explain (yes, this is may be a rant. Sorry). I have this installed. I've paid for it. I know a little about computers. I built the one I'm using now, and I built the one before it. This one was built for video editing, so it's pretty beefy. One day I get a pop up on my desktop (you know, down there above the clock where you get "notifications" regarding your system?). This one was from AVG saying that my "system is running too slow. Click here to fix". Intrigued, I clicked it, and was taken to a page. It was a while ago and I don't exactly remember all that happened, but, suffice to say, AVG wanted me to buy some "system boosting" software for about £30. A year. I'm running a relatively new setup of: Pentium i7, 16GB RAM and a Nvidia GeForce GTX570. It's not the best system you could have, but, as I said, it's pretty beefy (it scores 7.4 on the Windows Experience Index, whatever that means).

A little cheesed off, I tried to contact AVG, which they don't make easy. When I got to the forum, I noticed others, too, were complaining of the same thing, amongst other problems, like no reply from the support. I never got a reply from AVG about this issue. The only way to stop these pop up's, and there are more, and quite regular, is to turn off ALL messages in the options menu, some of which you might actually want, unfortunately.

This is something that grates with me a lot, so once this license expires, I will be using something else. Shame though, I've been using AVG for years, and the software is, seems to be, anyway, very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good solid anti-virus + much more, 25 Feb 2014
Last year we saw AVG’s Internet Security 2013 try to push for the modern user interface to help blend in with Windows 8/8.1. AVG have stuck with the interface and it really does look very nice! Internet Security 2014 from AVG is so much more than just your normal anti-virus, it also protects your personal information and helps to keep you safe when using social networking sites as well as online banking. Preventing online spam and scammers, stopping unsecure links and files and accelerated web performance are just some of the reasons why you should download AVG Internet Security 2014.

In terms of different features AVG Internet Security 2014 is absolutely packed with them which we always love to see. Instead of going into too much depth that nobody understands below I have summarised them for you.

When you purchase IS 2014 you get the following products: AntiVirus, AntiMalware (AVG Resident Shield), AVG Anti-Rootkit, AVG Email Scanner, AVG Protective Cloud Technology, AVG Community Protection Network, AVG Social Networking Protection and also the AVG LinkScanner Surf-Shield.

AntiVirus
-------------------
Helps stop, remove and prevent the speading of viruses, worms or trojans

-------------------
AntiMalware (AVG Resident Shield)
-------------------
Protects you from malware on your PC and helps stop anything that’s infected.

AVG Anti-Rootkit
-------------------
Detects and removes dangerous rootkits that hide malicious software that seeks to take control of your computer.

AVG Email Scanner
-------------------
Detects infected or rogue inbound attachments so they can’t damage your PC. Works as a plug-in for email applications including Microsoft Outlook® 2010 or as a scanner for POP3, SMTP and IMAP accounts.

AVG Protective Cloud Technology
-------------------
Identifies and prevents emerging threats “in the cloud” via automatic updates to your antivirus software.

AVG Community Protection Network
-------------------
Instantly converts every new threat encountered by any member of our community into protection for everyone. It adds up to ever-better antivirus protection for the entire AVG community.

AVG LinkScanner® Surf-Shield
-------------------
Smart prevention technology that stops you hitting infected or criminal sites. Actively checks every web page just before you click and stops you if it detects anything suspicious.
This integrates nicely into most popular browsers and simply colour codes the links and websites depending on how safe they are. If you’re still unsure about whether or not a link is safe simply submit it to AVG before you visit it.

AVG Social Networking Protection
-------------------
Checks the links that get exchanged when you’re on social networks such as Facebook®, Twitter® etc. to help keep you and your friends safe.

AVG Threat Removal
-------------------
Over the past few years our inbox’s have starting to become more and more cluttered with spam email and scams. The included AVG Anti-Spam will help prevent you getting these type of emails and falling prey to phishing scams such as those you believe to be from your real bank.

If you thought that Internet Security 2014 was just an Anti-Virus then you couldn’t be further from the truth. As well as keeping your PC safe it will also help to improve and optimize performance. One way in which it does this is using AVG Turbo Scan.
Turbo Scan dramatically reduces the scanning times thanks to a brand new scanning sequence that follows the order in which files are saved to your HDD. As with a few other products on the market AVG include a Game Mode which stops scans starting and updates taking place while gaming in order to help reduce the lag and avoid freezes.

Another included component is the AVG Accelerator. If you enjoy spending hours on YouTube clicking through the sidebar of videos taking you to unknown places then you will love this little bit of kit. The accelerator maximizes your connection speed and the download of binary data to deliver you faster, smoother video streaming.

Updates to the security suite occur quite regularly which is good to see as you know AVG are actively looking for the new threats and attempting to block them. Similarly to the Game Mode, if your computer is running low on battery Internet Security will realise this and will hold off updating to help save your battery. One unfortunate thing we noticed is that parental controls are no longer included and actually has to be purchased as an add-on.
Our Verdict
-------------------
Overall the AVG Internet Security 2014 suite continues to improve with every release and this is no doubt their best release yet. The user interface is so easy to use and even if you’re completely new to the software finding the settings you need or the program is easily done. The biggest update to this release we think are the vast array of privacy tools which are sure to come in use. The main screens of the UI can be easily used by touch-screen users while the settings menu is still aimed at mouse users. We would like to see the settings menus updated so that it is more easily used by those who have just touch-screen devices.
All in all another solid and quality program by AVG which does its job perfectly!

Read more at [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 July 2014
well pleased

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 7 July 2014
T. L. Lander "rushy1" (uk) - See all my reviews
Needed for laptop works well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tune Up and Internet Security Software, 1 July 2014
To be honest I've always had internet security and tune up utilities ever since you could get them, and tried the majority, more recently purchased another nameless product that did not pass muster, and always come back to AVG product, they are reliable, does what it says on the tin and are minimal system resource hungry. I recommend AVG products, don't bother with the rest this is the best

4.0 out of 5 stars Could be easier, 9 Jun 2014
It would be some-what easier if, after registration, in the banner it said AVG must now be activated by going to options and clicking on activate then entering the new licence number sent by email.

3.0 out of 5 stars GREAT PRODUCT - JUST DOES NOT LAST LONG ENOUGH!, 16 Feb 2014
I have used AVG for a number of years and its a really good product ,that runs fast and does not seem to cause the problems that other systems do. The reason for the 3 marks is simple, my last purchase was for 2 years and it ran out after a year. I now pay a bit extra overall and just go for a year at time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Getting Expensive, 4 Feb 2014
T. G. F. Garrett (UK) - See all my reviews
An OK security tool but I feel getting overtaken by others. What I find worse is the price, even from Amazon. In 2011 the cost was far cheaper, AVG IE for 4 pc's for only £16.99 !!! ... and that covered 2 YEARS a bargain I must admit.
This latest build was £32 for 3 PC's and only for ONE year

AVG Internet Security 2014 - 3 User - 1 Year (PC)
AVG Internet Security 2014 - 3 User - 1 Year (PC) by AVG (Windows 7 / 8 / Vista / XP)