5.0 out of 5 stars so far so good
Published 10 months ago by aisha702

1.0 out of 5 stars AVOID claims paper jam when its not.
Initially I thought this was good then..........
It struggled to print a PDF and jammed twice.
It has since then claimed to be jammed. I have registered with Brother and followed their guidance on clearing a non-existent jam.
Still claiming to be jammed.
Published 2 months ago by A A

5.0 out of 5 stars so far so good, 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: Brother DCP-J132W A4 All-In-One Colour Multifunction Wireless Inkjet Printer (Accessory)
The heading says it all. I must point out that I bought this printer after extensive research on cheap, good quality and affordable printers, in which this one topped the polls. I finally had a look on 'WHICH' magazine and this printer was said to be the most affordable and also this printer had the cheapest inks you could get from an inkjet. The ink prices is what sold this printer to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant home use printer, 5 Mar 2014
Paignton (Paignon Devon) - See all my reviews
Bought this to replace a brother printer, thought for the cost £55, it wouldn't be up to much but as it's only to print out occasional email or kids homework would be fine. It is more than fine, print quality is excellent, very easy to set up, connected to iPad wirelessly and home p.c. via USB, easy peasy. Would thoroughly recommend and cartridges are so cheap, used to pay £22 each for our old hp cartridges, this one comes with a set already and then replacements are about. £9 a set (4 cartridges). Haven't tried scanning etc yet but am sure it's going to be a winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brother, 3 Dec 2013
The main reason I bought this printer is that it has wi-fi, I can print things from the phone, Ipad etc. Multifunctional which is useful. It also has bigger capacity ink cartridges which are cheaper to replace than other brands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic quality printer and refill-friendly!, 30 April 2014
EDIT: Just to follow up to this, I've been using it a few weeks now, it is so so much more ink efficient - I've been through an entire ream and my refillables are still ~70% full. I haven't had to head clean it once, either. :-)

EDIT 2: Another follow up. It turns out the ink carts do get disabled at chip-level once they are completely empty unfortunately, so if you refill then you will need some ARC chips (that usually come with them). They seem okay if you refill before they're empty though.

1) It uses sensors to detect how full the cartridge is, not the chip, so refilling them is way easier. You can swap the chips onto some refill cartridges (the ones I bought anyway) as no data seems to be stored about ink levels on them. The printer asks you if you replaced a cartridge if you remove, refill and replace it - if you hit yes, it resets it back to full. No more of Epson's guessing how full the cartridge is and then disabling it.
The carts are also at the front, behind a little door - not inside the printer. It has a CISS sort of mechanism. I think Brother may produce the only refillable printers now - Epson have disabled most non-genuine carts in their newest firmware update.

2) It doesn't go through the horrific ink purge cycle every time you turn it on, power it off or breathe on it - you save the date and time on it and it does all the maintenance itself when needed. At least 1/3 to 1/2 of the ink in my Epson just ended up in the waste ink tank. Not only does this save an awful lot of ink, it also saves a lot of time - and after a week's use I haven't seen it need to head clean, or manually had to head clean it, in the slightest.

3) The purge tank counter can (supposedly) be reset using the maintenance menu - meaning when the ink pads eventually get saturated, you can wash and dry them and then reset the counter, and keep using it like normal. (this is what killed my XP-205 in 8 months and there's no way of resetting those). Pretty sure the ink pads are under a small door on the bottom but I don't want to fiddle with anything until I need to.

4) It has a paper tray so it doesn't stick out the back irritatingly.

5) There's a "scan-to-file" function that lets you scan a file directly into a folder on your computer using the controls on the printer, as either PDF or JPEG. After you scan, it asks you if you want to scan any more pages - if you do, these pages will also be added to the PDF. A job that took hours on the Epson would probably take about 20 minutes maximum here.

6) No more annoying flashing LEDs and it goes into sleep mode when not being used, like some laser printers do.

Only gripe is the scanner is really bright and I can't get the settings to save changes, and it took some troubleshooting with port forwarding to get print-to-file to function (I had to open 54921 in addition to 54925 which the installation adds for it to work)

5.0 out of 5 stars So easy to set up & use, 4 Nov 2013
Well, I dithered & procrastinated The more I read about printers, the less enchanted I was & the less sure of buying what I wanted. I do not know exactly why I decided to buy a Brother, but I contacted them twice with queries & they were extremely helpful. So, they are there to sell, but there was no pressure at all. I eventually settled on this model, really because it was the cheapest. My requirements for a printer/scanner/photocopier are very modest. I do not print photographs, seldom scan, occasionally need to copy a document & print odd pages off the internet. I am unable to read for a long time sitting in front of a computer, so I like the printed paper in front of me sometimes. My husband also likes a piece of paper in front of him.

I did not even need to use the CD to install this machine. The instructions are very simple to follow & show on the printer screen, as well as in the supplied booklet . It is quite different from previous printers I have owned in it's paper loading, but not difficult. It prints quickly, even giving a black & white option (which I have missed in the 2 previous printers I owned.One was an Epson but I cannot remember the other now). It is slow at photocopying so would not suit an office or an impatient person! I do not yet know how the ink cartridges will perform/last. I keep the power connected as advised, but the printer sleeps when not in use, quickly coming back to life when needed & NOT going through that ink charging process so hated by so many.

I have only had this little Brother a week now, so fingers crossed I do not have any negative reports in the future.

02/03/2014 This is a later post & I wanted to correct what I stated above re copying. It is NOT slow at all. I do not know how I came to say that, so apologies are required. I am very happy with my little Brother.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good does exactly what I want., 29 Dec 2013
I wanted a cheap AIRPRINT printer. This printer is great it lets me print directly to it from my iphone, mini iPad, macbook pro and macbook air.
Why not 5 stars? Well I found the instructions for setting up very confusing and wasted a lot of time on the setup. It is strange the usb port is inside the machine under the platen where you put paper for scanning!! No usb cable is provided. This does not worry me as I only want to use this as a wireless printer. It has the most complicated ink cartridges I have come across. Ink costs are expensive as with epson printers. I am trying cheap substitutes!!
To setup I selected network and Wlan setup, entered my network SSID and password. Then I found everything on the network, iphone, mac computers and iPads could print with no further setup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Device, 19 Mar 2014
I have been an advocate of HP for about 20 years however having been disappointed with my last HP device which decided to stop printing anything in black (lots of people having the same issue according to a google search) I began my search for a replacement printer-copier-scanner. Having looked at several devices from several manufacturers I opted for the DCP-J132W and I have not been dissappointed. Firstly, it is so effortless to setup, it is pretty much just plug and play. Secondly, the paper is fully enclosed within a drawer, which is common on higher range printer its no so common at this price. Thirdly, I have been unable to find fault with it during operation, it's quiet, fast and produces high quality printing. Scanning is also effortless. I also like the ink cartridge access being on the front of the device, much better location than many other devices I have had in the past. I have every confidence this printer will last for years to come but I am already impressed enough to make another brother my next choice. Goodbye HP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brother DCP-J132W All-In-One Printer, 18 April 2014
Great value for money multifunction printer.
A bit fiddly to get the wifi working but I used a USB cable to get the connection and now the wifi works perfectly stand alone.
Very easy and fast for photocopying.
Colour Printing is not "photo quality", but perfectly adequate for everyday documents and general printing.
Easy to fit the individual black and 3 colour cartridges and cheap to buy replacements.
Overall I am very impressed.

1.0 out of 5 stars AVOID claims paper jam when its not., 19 Sep 2014
Initially I thought this was good then..........
It struggled to print a PDF and jammed twice.
Still claiming to be jammed.
Brother wanted photos of the ink cartridges. Probably to use me using the wrong cartridges as an excuse. I was using Brother ink.
Brother then wanted to know which paper I was using. Another excuse perhaps. I'm using Brother paper....

Looking at Brother's website, they've sent out a firmware update for this model as it is claiming to be jammed......
Firmware update doesn't work as it gets to 30% then claims that you have documents pending to be printed EVEN when YOU DONT. Firmware fails..
Personally, I would avoid this printer.

3.0 out of 5 stars For the price its a good solid printer that prints fine, 22 Aug 2014
Mr. A. Guy (UK) - See all my reviews
For the price its a good solid printer that prints fine. However, the wireless printing simply doesn't work. It all connected ok, and gave a nice WLAN report following set up instructions, I can sent print jobs to it over the network, but it prints the top line gives off a strange whining noise and eventually cancels the job spitting out the just-printed-enough-to-ruin-it page.