5.0 out of 5 stars more wonderful insights
I never tire of reading Prof Goleman's books. The style is easy but the insights profound. A great read for all amateur psychologists like me
Published 3 months ago by ddcarribean

Paying attention, remaining focused and excellence are obviously topics of
considerable interest to most of us in a relentless, busy and distracting world.
Daniel Goleman is renowned for his work in Emotional Intelligence. I found
this book entertaining, in parts interesting and easy to read throughout.
Including the many references to the role of the...
Published 8 months ago by Laurence Dann

3.0 out of 5 stars Relevant and interesting discussions, but lacks focus in the end., 1 Nov 2013
Laurence Dann "LD strategy" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
Paying attention, remaining focused and excellence are obviously topics of
Daniel Goleman is renowned for his work in Emotional Intelligence. I found
this book entertaining, in parts interesting and easy to read throughout.
Including the many references to the role of the parts of brain, for which
ordinarily I would have minimal interest.

I particularly liked the discussions about the good and bad effects of computer
games on attention, the fact that attention and excellence are linked, the
ability to selectively pay attention, emotional hijacks and the value of daydreaming.

Ironically, towards the end, I would have preferred this book to have been more
'focused' on personal excellence as it relates to our individual roles, rather than
meandering in the collective responsibility of a green agenda. That said, the narrative
on leadership does make some interesting points, albeit not too originally.

The book summarises the anatomy of attention, self-awareness, seeing
ourselves as others see us, reading others, the roles of empathy, social sensitivity
and leadership. In each topic, the role the brain plays and relevant anecdotes are
used, many of which are possibly already well known to readers.

This book is an easy read and held my attention throughout, but has the depth of a
conversation, rather than on being loaded with riveting research and original insights.
I felt that all too often the writer was stating the obvious, which could be as a result
of good writing in simplifying a potentially complex topic.

I came away feeling more informed about the role of 'focus' in our everyday lives, but
not in any way empowered to do anything practical or excellent. Which I suppose is why
I didn't rate the book higher. Its likely that my expectations are misplaced or I have
missed the point of the Writer's intention. Needless to say, many like me, will enjoy
the insights offered, yet without the expectation of a 'practical takeaway' would be more
satisfied. My expectation was that there would be a link to at least few practical steps as
suggested (possibly ambiguously) in the title.

In my opinion, the role of focus in saving the planet was so far removed from the erstwhile
discussions about personal behaviour, it made the chapter on the 'big picture' seem like
it belonged in another book. The relationship, while it does obviously exist, seems somewhat
contrived or misplaced under this book title.

That said, for the price, it is a worthwhile read that provokes one to pay attention, without
focusing on anything particular in the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars more wonderful insights, 25 April 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars thought-provoking, 29 Mar 2014
This review is from: Focus: The Hidden Driver of Excellence (Kindle Edition)
Goleman's book artfully brings together thinking on emotional intelligence, mindfulness and systems thinking. Highly recommended for any one in a leadership position.

2.0 out of 5 stars I gave up, 11 Nov 2013
This review is from: Focus: The Hidden Driver of Excellence (Kindle Edition)
Sorry Daniel. Your other stuff may be great and perhaps there is good research in here. But I gave up after a few chapters. If there is something worth saying, this would need to be completely rewritten.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 July 2014
Wife hasn't put it back, very well written and kept her busy. Thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Nov 2013
Ms Li "Molly" - See all my reviews
This review is from: Focus: The Hidden Driver of Excellence (Kindle Edition)
I am an advocate of Daniel Goleman. I have this as a kindle book and also as CDs. Together they are remarkable insights into emotional intelligence - taking responsibility and Focus. I find his writing and his voice easy to follow. I am learning a great deal and use this information to coach individuals and groups towards a better understanding of EI.

5.0 out of 5 stars New views from an old favourite, 16 Dec 2013
Elizabeth D. (The Hague, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
My husband finds it excellent. The writer has matured and finds more philiosophical ways to look at things. He thought it might be a re-hash, but, although DG refers to earlier books, it is fresh and new.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, but not what I expected, 14 May 2014
This review is from: Focus: The Hidden Driver of Excellence (Kindle Edition)
I agree with the review by Laurence Dann - "Relevant and interesting discussions, but lacks focus in the end".

I was expecting something more practical, but got a series of anecdotal stories often involving family members and friends. Lots of big shout outs here.

His final chapter I found fascinating, because we have a politically left leaning thinker believing the world's problems can be solved by changing the "focus" of our leaders' minds. Whereas I am a more cynical and lean to the right politically, but I believe the reason the world's problems are so intractible is because they are emergent i.e. the result of the actions of many and consequently any solution would require us all to change. Furthermore, I think it is optimistic in the extreme to expect that "focussing" on a problem necessarily leads to a solution, indeed some problems are insolvable. Indeed haven't we learnt that "solving" one problem usually causes another problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 July 2014
Spot on good value

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written pop psychology by a badly focussed author, 23 Mar 2014
Very disappointed with the content of this book. It is full of waffly passages that when analysed say nothing. it is aimed at people who want to learn to focus better but clearly this author writes poorly and I suspect has churned out this tripe just to make money not to produce a quality product. Badly written and edited!