5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money
Published 15 months ago by TpW

3.0 out of 5 stars Capable of more...
Published 15 months ago by Mr. Mj Bickle

3.0 out of 5 stars Capable of more..., 31 Aug 2013
This review is from: Winter Kills (Audio CD)
I used to be a huge DevilDriver fan and especially love their self-titled debut album and The Last Kind Words. I still think they are great but their recent material has been slightly patchy in my opinion and sadly Winter Kills continues the trend. "Desperate Times" and bonus track "Back Down To The Grave" are pretty cool songs but the rest are simply average. I don't want to criticize them too much though as Dez Fafara is actually a real idol of mine, people like him and Robb Flynn from Machine Head are what heavy metal vocalists should be all about. But basically don't expect anything special, this album isn't terrible but it is definitely missing something which the early albums had in spades.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, 10 Sep 2013
This review is from: Winter Kills (MP3 Download)
Not as punchy as the first couple of devil driver albums but not far off (also an improvement on beast which didn't get all that much air time at mine). And when I think I paid about £30 quid to take the kids bowling the other day and £20 for a round of pints last night, £7 pounds is a bloody great deal for an album I've played start to finish at least 10 times in the last week since buying. Same sound you know and love; the dose of double kick that you need from time to time, and some really brutal riffs. It's a deal, it's a steal, its sale of the f'ing century (is that how it goes???). Enjoy and support the band. Cheers.

A few months on: Still listening to this every day since buying a few months ago, still growing on me too and I also take back what I said about Beast it too has returned to the playlist. Love DevilDriver.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Standard, 1 Sep 2013
This review is from: Winter Kills (Audio CD)
By no means is this a bad album, its just very predictable. The whole album is pretty good, but it is pretty similar to their last release. The album contains some pretty decent songs, pretty damn heavy, but with a nice groove. The bonus tracks are pretty sweet too!

Never been a massive Devildriver fan, but I've seen them live at festivals and they're pretty insane! I wouldn't recommend this album for a first time Devildriver listener, but that's not to say its not good! In comparison to the self titled album, this really isn't up to standards that I know they can reach.

Good effort, good tunes and good groove! Definitely worth a listen, and if you ever get the chance, go see them live!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great metal album, I would say it's better than Beast, 12 Sep 2013
Mr. A. J. Tennant "Metalhead" (Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Winter Kills (Audio CD)
I have been a huge fan of DevilDriver since 2007 when I bought their 2005 album The Fury of Our Maker's Hand which was the first one I bought and went on to buy all their other albums since then, and I still listen to them now. I watched the lyric video for "Ruthless" and the promo video for "The Appetite" on YouTube and thought they were very good, so I just had to get Winter Kills to see what the rest of the album was like, and I was pretty pleased with the result.

For me, the best tracks on this album are the opener "Oath of the Abyss", "Ruthless", "Desperate Times", the title track "Winter Kills", "The Appetite" and I also quite like "Back to the Grave", one of the bonus tracks featured in the special edition of the album that I bought. To be fair the other tracks on Winter Kills (including the bonus tracks) that I didn't mention are pretty good as well, although I'm not as keen on "Sail" which is a cover of a song by an indie band named Awolnation - frontman Dez Fafara was turned on to the original by his teenage sons. I felt that if they wanted to do so, DevilDriver could have done a cover of a metal song instead of "Sail", or they could have included their cover of Metallica's "Holier Than Thou" as another bonus track (which I don't think has ever been released on CD, to the best of my knowledge). Other than that, I believe Winter Kills is a better effort than their previous album Beast, which turned out to be the last one DevilDriver did for Roadrunner Records - when I first bought Beast two years ago I found it a bit difficult to get into, but tried it again fairly recently and it was slightly better than I remembered it.

Going back to Winter Kills, this is a very good album and I would strongly recommend the deluxe edition which contains the bonus tracks and bonus DVD "Alive & Raw! Live in Berlin, Germany". One thing I need to point out from when having watched the DVD is that of the nine tracks listed for the live performance I noticed that only eight of those tracks were performed (I don't recall "I Could Care Less" being performed at all, unless I wasn't listening properly or something). I checked the DVD again after I finished watching it just to make sure that the DVD was okay (which it was in the end), and went into the scene selection and it was still what I had noticed. Very highly recommended though.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 25 Jan 2014
This review is from: Winter Kills (MP3 Download)
good album full of energy another classic from devildriver and sail is gonna be a classic track. quality aussie band

3.0 out of 5 stars Ach, it's OK..., 19 Nov 2013
This review is from: Winter Kills (Audio CD)
I don't know what is missing in this album but whatever it is, it started to disappear with Beast. The production is excellent, the music is very, very tight - drumming monstrous as always, and maybe better than ever - but it lacks...tunes? Groove? It's weird, because it seems like such a well executed blast of music, but somehow it's quite flat and even boring. Little stands out. I'm listening to it repeatedly, trying to find any gems, and there isn't much. Hopefully I'll get into it eventually (Tripping Over Tombstones has potential).

This is a band that I have automatically bought whatever they released without listening to it first. After the disappointment with Beast I did listening to samples of this a few times, and I went ahead and bought it cautiously. But I think I may not get the next one, unless I get really convinced it's worth it. It can be difficult to find reviews you can trust, as there are always with any band the (I suspect) 12-14 year old kids writing "5 stars! This album is brilliant end to end best yet great tracks can't fault it worth every penny buy it now you won't regret it [enter band name] keeps getting better and better [enter band name again] forever!!" I roll my eyes when I read these reviews, but to be honest I envy them and their unrelenting ability to love bands like this who have sadly started to slide...

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid album, 4 Nov 2013
This review is from: Winter Kills (Audio CD)
Definitely a better album than Beast or Pray For Villains (although neither of the aforementioned was bad) but not as good as Devildriver's first three albums in my view. I think the Sail cover was a really good idea on Devildriver's part as I like the original and I think the cover is a very good, very brutal re-imagining of it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than Beast...., 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: Winter Kills (Audio CD)
....but not a patch on their first album. Been a long time Devildriver fan but I definitely prefer the way they sounded in their first few albums as opposed to their newer stuff. Some good tracks on here and it's a definite improvement over their last one, but their debut album will be my all-time fave.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album of the year, 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: Winter Kills (Audio CD)
I was a bit worried about this one because DD seemed to have plateaued at Beast, but no need. This album is brootal. I even like the sea shanty at the end; helps me work more efficiently.

5.0 out of 5 stars DevilDrivers best album yet, 25 Sep 2013
This review is from: Winter Kills (MP3 Download)
The guitarists really impress in this album, and Jeff Boecklin keeps up his usual brilliant standards of drumming. Overall this album is incredible.

Winter Kills