5.0 out of 5 stars Easy peasy!!
Easy to setup wirelessly to iphone and ipad. Had to download driver software from Canon for my mac. First few images that I have printed are stunning, so no complaints there. Printer is of top build quality too, would highly recommend!
Published 8 months ago by bails

3.0 out of 5 stars Good printer... installing was a pain!
It took me almost 2 weeks to get this printer working on my network. On some days it would show as installed, I even managed to print a test page.... but then it would disappear. After re-installing many, many times I kept getting the message that "there are ports that can't be used with the current settings."
A Canon customer service technician talked me through the...
Published 9 months ago by Wendy Brookes

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Good printer... installing was a pain!, 23 Dec 2013
This review is from: Canon PIXMA MG5550 (Personal Computers)
A Canon customer service technician talked me through the installation (nothing that I hadn't already done) and all was working fine until I put the phone down!! I had switched off the printer and when it was switched on again, it had disappeared. SO frustrating!!
The On-line manual had nothing to offer. Finally, after much head scratching about what the error message actually meant... I decided to disable the IPv6 drivers, realising that my router was using IPv4 for everything else on my network.... and bingo! The router picked up the printer, the printer downloaded and installed the firmware update and has been working fine since.
The printer itself is very good, but quite noisy (even on the quiet setting) and seems to go into panic mode every time it's switched on... with much buzzing, clicking and whirring. It also seems to have gobbled up the supplied ink very fast, but that's quite normal in my experience. With hindsight, I'm not sure I'd buy this particular model again but I suppose as an occasional printer it's adequate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy peasy!!, 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: Canon PIXMA MG5550 (Personal Computers)

5.0 out of 5 stars First class scanning and printing but expensive inks, 22 Aug 2014
This review is from: Canon PIXMA MG5550 (Personal Computers)
The MG5550 arrived a week ago and has proven to be easy to set up, has good software, excellent print and scan quality and good networking. The set-up sheet was simple to follow and the printer's LCD screen took you through the processes anyway. Unpacking and set-up took about an hour and that includes connecting it by USB and wirelessly, downloading Mac driver software and installing.

Some reports of wireless problems are probably be due to the individual routers or owner's software and hardware. In any case, it is very easy to give the printer a static IP which appears to be the solution to wireless problems and all the functions can be accessed from the LCD panel. Similarly the complaints about it churning away before starting printing are a little unfair. We set our Canon Pixma iP 4850 printing a file and then started the MG5550 on the same file. The document included full page images and duplex printing. The 4850 started quicker and was already printing the document before we set the 5550 off, but they both finished the job together even though the 5550 went through its lengthy pre-print actions. This means it is a faster printer than the already speedy 4850.

We also scanned the same image on the 5550 with the Canon software and Image Capture on a Mac and then compared with the same image scanned on our trusty Epson Perfection 3200 Photo scanner. All were set to automatic and all scans were acceptable for print reproduction (we are graphic designers) with possibly the best overall coming from the 5550 using the Canon software. Output onto cheap 80gsm office paper is near photographic, on photo paper it is outstanding.

There are no downsides to the 5550. It is a little noisier than our other Canon printer but acceptably so. Black text prints beautifully and much darker than from the Pixma iP4850. Under a glass you can see there is more ink on the page with letters as good as laser printing. This obviously means greater ink use and a set of Canon OEM extra large cartridges cost nearly as much as a new printer. The cheapest sources I have found are here on Amazon.

Networking is automatic and easy. Wireless connection means that it is available over the Internet from anywhere in the world if it is connected to a wireless router with an Internet connection. Free Canon apps make it easy to print and scan directly to and from a smartphone or tablet. Connecting by USB also creates an internal network so that as long as the host computer is awake, any computer connected to the LAN can print to the 5550.

This is our fourth Canon inkjet, after moving across from Epson printers, all of which suffered from blocked heads even though we used the printers regularly. When some cost £1500 it was particularly painful to see the dustmen take perfectly good printers away because it was impossible to get them repaired.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Machine, 23 April 2014
This review is from: Canon PIXMA MG5550 (Personal Computers)
A lovely machine that does everything I want it to. Occasionally loses contact with my Mac, but that could be quite normal for a Wi-fi connection. Very economic on the inks as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant printer, 2 April 2014
This review is from: Canon PIXMA MG5550 (Personal Computers)
Very easy to set up, print quality good, wireless printing a dream, and double sided as well! No problems .

3.0 out of 5 stars It prints well, but not for you if you want anything quickly or quietly., 21 Aug 2014
A. Farley (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon PIXMA MG5550 (Personal Computers)
I can endorse what Wendy Brookes said.... "The printer itself is very good, but quite noisy (even on the quiet setting) and seems to go into panic mode every time it's switched on... with much buzzing, clicking and whirring." My previous Canon was as quiet as a lamb by comparison! Pixma iP4500.
Also, much, much quicker to print. This is unbelievably slow. The first time I printed wirelessly I didn't expect much, so was pleased it worked (double-sided) even though it took six minutes to print. To speed up I connected by USB cable and it was quicker, but it still takes a long time for a simple sheet to print. I'm talking minutes here.
On the plus side, as I am an illustrator I occasionally print off my work on matt photo paper and was very pleased with the result which matched the colour and tone I had originally created in the image. However, it took 28 minutes. Lucky I wasn't in a hurry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems easy enough, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Canon PIXMA MG5550 (Personal Computers)
I was a bit wary at first as the box doesn't come with a USB cable so if the wireless didn't work then I would be stuck. As it turned out everything just sailed through. It picked up the wireless network immediately, requested the password and that was that. It turned out some great photos too. Very sharp - but then you'd expect this from Canon. The software makes every thing so easy too as it brings you through the printing process step by step without having to cross over to some photo editing software.

I do agree that it can be a bit noisy - it sounds like a small party going on in there when it's printing photos. It won't wake the neighbours though but it is not silent.

Progress: I've only just come to realise the extent of the internet link up with the printer. It is possible to connect to Picasa and other photo uploading sites. The scanning is first class with lots of software to make improvements.

UPDATE 16/9/14. Still going strong and turning out some great photographs on A4 paper. As an aside - there is no facility for printing from an SD card. The screen on the front of the printer isn't big enough to see individual photos. You see them on your laptop or PC which would have the SD card in it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Canon Pixma MG5550, 1 April 2014
This review is from: Canon PIXMA MG5550 (Personal Computers)
I bought this to replace a Kodak printer which died. Whilst the Kodak printer was easy to set up, I found this one to be frustratingly complex; the quick-start guide (of which there were 3 copies in the box!) was hard to follow and it was easy to leave steps out. Loading the disk which is supplied result in an large amount of what is basically rubbish being installed. I am happy to say that after 4 days of trying, I can print via a USB cable, but wifi printing remains a mystery. Yes, I have investigated the online manual, but as I don't have a Ph.D. in waffle, it is no help whatsoever.
In the printer's favour, the print quality is good and replacement non-Canon branded ink cartridges, of which there are 5, are cheap enough to bring a smile to this Yorkshireman's face!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 16 Nov 2013
Didn't buy it from Amazon as there was a cheaper deal in Currys however I now have some regrets.

Choosing was so overwhelming as so many of these printers have similar numbers eg 5530, 5540, 5550 yet it was not clear what their differences are. Even on sites that do comparisons when you tick them either didn't sell all the models or didn't go imto enough detail.

The problems

1. Has taken me 3 days to get it to print wirelessly. It kept printing until you switched off the computer and then proceeded to tell you it was offline - when it clearly wasn't. Eventually went to control panel and deleted the printer then added it again and so far am Ok

2. Found that this does not print CDs or have slots for cards or USBs and the paper tray does not slot away as the other similar models do

Oh well better luck next time- my last printer only lasted 3 years and I am not a heavy user.At least this has auto duplex - once you have had that you don't want one that doesn't do it

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Canon PIXMA MG5550 (Personal Computers)
Good printer for the price. Sharpest text I've seen, great colour printing, wifi set-up was a piece of cake and scanning as good as it gets. On the down side it is a bit noisy on start up and close down, you have to remove the paper to close the front and the paper out tray is a bit on the flimsy side, also it came with a continental plug and no USB cable. Still, overall, fantastic value for a printer with the features of this one and printing of this quality.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›