1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but lacks focus, 15 Jan. 2014
This book does have a lot of very good information in it but it does not really live up to its Title IMHO. What a Web Developer wanting to learn Wordpress would be after, is a good overview, plenty of perspective and a good chapter on background and fundamental concepts and descriptions/ diagrams of how things work. Instead of that, this book goes over all the basics of using Wordpress as a user, and then dives straight into using all the functions that are provided as part of the API. I would not argue that all the information you could want is in here or referenced to on the web some place, however what I really want is a progressive, well thought out and clear description of the way things work. The author seems to be a little bit too submerged in the technicalities of Wordpress to offer that sort of perspective, which is a shame since technical reference information is freely available via the web. I have started on another Wordpress Theme development book by Packt, and that seems to be heading in the right direction. It starts off with a clear description of what a theme actually is and steps through creating one. Perhaps 'Wordpress for Web Developers' will be better suited as a reference book or a more advanced tutorial, or perhaps I just need to stick at it a bit. I did feel rather lost at times in the Theme development chapter, and since I do have a pretty good understanding of PHP I feel that this is a problem with the layout of the book. This book seems to expect the reader to spend time to pick over existing themes to try to start to understand what is going on exactly.

4/4/14 update.

I've found some courses and other tutorials on-line and have now picked up this book again. I do think it's a good book, but start reading once you've already got a good general understanding of CMS concepts. I did the PSD -> Wordpress tutorial on tuts and that piqued my interest in learning Wordpress theme dev. again .