5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive features and results from a good value camera.
To be honest, I wasn't expecting too much from this camera as i'm always a bit weary of '30x optical zoom lenses' and how practical they will be in real life situations.

Published 8 months ago by Dicko

3.0 out of 5 stars No user details
There are very brief details with the camera about how to set it up, but nothing about how to use it. You are guided to a site where you can download this information, but this is totally impractical for taking out into the field. It took ages to load the first lot of images to computer, although second time around much better. Sometimes it focuses really quickly,...
Published 5 months ago by Oona Peers

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive features and results from a good value camera., 23 April 2014
Dicko (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon PowerShot SX510 HS Camera - Black (12.1MP, 30x Zoom) 3 inch LCD (Camera)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Upon opening the box, the camera is a lot smaller than I was expecting, it is not normal SLR size, but much more compact and very light which was nice initially. The menus are all very self explanatory and I just switched it on and started shooting it is that easy to use. It has full auto settings and also full manual controls including manual focus which is great if you want the freedom to be able to select your own aperture and shutter speeds. There are some nice effect options as well like tilt-shift and fisheye which are fun.

Onto the 30x zoom! Well, I'm impressed to be honest! The image stabilisation works really well, even at the full 30x optical zoom (although in darker conditions it does struggle a bit to focus). The digital zoom from 30x to 60x is where it does get a bit gimmicky and the results are grainy and can only realistically be used in good light on a tripod, but the function is there if you need it I suppose.

Images are really good too, colours are natural, although sometimes they can be a bit too on the safe side of natural. But you can make adjustments to get the desired results in the end. Both indoor and outdoor shots look good and the exposure is pretty accurate.

The only negatives I feel I need to mention (but they are minor niggles in what is a great performing camera) are the menus. If you're used to using a Canon SLR, you'll have to get used to using the menus a bit more for making some adjustments as there is not enough room for more dials and buttons. Also, for me, although the camera is light and compact which has obvious advantages over an SLR, it does feel a bit small in your hand. I suppose this will just take a bit of getting used to.

1080p Full HD movies are pretty much expected on cameras nowadays but the results are nice, especially in good sunlight, the colours look lovely and natural. However, because the focus and zoom motors are near the microphone, it does annoyingly pick this up when zooming in and focusing.

Overall though, if you're after a compact camera which is capable of taking lovely shots with the bonus of having full manual control and a really usable 30x optical zoom, this should not be overlooked.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a magnificent camera. I have bought five ..., 10 Nov 2014
This is a magnificent camera. I have bought five as gifts for friends and family, all of whom admired the original one which I bought for myself. Why on earth have Canon discontinued production? They were on to a sure fire winner here, and I never tire of demonstrating its capabilities to everyone I meet. It has rendered my expensive SLR virtually obsolete, and at its current reduced price it is undoubtedly the bargain of the year. Come on Canon, bring it back and keep it going! It never ceases to astonish me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb little camera .. exceeded my expectations!, 13 Dec 2013
To put this review in context .. my main camera is and EOS 5D digital SLR, and I bought the SX510 as a more compact / lightweight alternative for times when either carrying the full SLR kit would be inconvenient, and for events where 'professional' / 'interchangeable lens' cameras are not permitted.
My main requirements were a good optical zoom and good manual override functionality, in a small lightweight body ... and this little beauty comes up trumps on all counts. Although in online photos, this camera looks very much like a SLR, do look at the dimensions ... it will sit comfortably in the palm of your hand and is really lightweight.
Image stabilisation is very effective when making use of the 30x zoom, and it has a good range of manual settings, including the aperture priority, shutter priority, manual, live view and a number of 'scene' settings. It is very capable for close-ups too, still being able to focus with the lens almost touching the subject!
Despite the small sensor size, the camera produces excellent results and exceeds my (rather demanding) expectations ... and even takes video footage too!

5.0 out of 5 stars An ideal light but powerful camera, 17 Jan 2014
(VINE VOICE)
This camera is hardly any heavier than the slimmer Canon Powershot SX170 IS but packs a far larger zoom range. If you want a camera to slip in your pocket, this is not for you. At the other end of the size range, and approaching the size of a DSLR, sits the Canon PowerShot SX50 HS, which is a much heavier beast but with a longer telephoto lens. So, depending on what you can carry, here is your full range of non-interchangeable lens cameras.

None of these cameras will compete with DSLR in low-light situations. Where they leave the DSLR standing, though, is in versatility. Imagine the cost and weight of a set of DSLR lenses to cover this range of telephoto. Plus, by the time you have changed lenses your once in a lifetime shot may be gone. (Unless you carry several cameras, like the pros of course!) Canon's speed of zoom is legendary, as is their image stabilization and auto-focus. This camera is a real bargain when you see what it can do. Go along to Canon's web pages and download the full user manual if you don't believe me.

Amateurs often judge a camera on how easy it is to de-focus the background in a portrait shot. The DSLR solves this using a low f-stop, but one hint with this sort of camera is to step back and make use of the zoom. Get it right and you will have the subject beautifully focused and the background out of focus, and also your subject will not suffer from the big nose effect that getting too close causes!

This camera has no viewfinder, but the screen is good and clear. Like the full range of bridge cameras from Canon, there is a plethora of settings, right down to complete manual control of aperture and exposure and manual focus if you ever need it. (Set it at infinity, and a long exposure, two second delay and resting on a wall or tripod, for some wonderful night shots.)

The controls on these cameras are some of the best on any bridge camera. For instance, if you want to adjust the exposure of a shot with high contrast, just press the +/- button and spin the selector wheel for instant under/over exposure.

I don't think you will be disappointed if you buy this camera. Given a DSLR and this one, I know which I would get more use out of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect to compliment a DSLR, 7 May 2014
MartinRG "martinrg" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been looking for a digital camera to compliment my 6D. It needs to have the following attributes:

- Portable: I love the 6D but when I need reach the 70-300 lens I use is a monster
- Good IQ: I like to shoot sports (especially hockey and cricket) so it needs to give a good image quality, especially when action may be far away
- Lots of presets and also manual options: I need it to be more of a point and shoot really, I don't want to fiddle with too many settings (I leave that for the 6D).

With that in mind the SX510 is a great camera. Ok so it is not the most portable digital camera (due to that monster 30x lens) but it is small enough to chuck in a bag when you go out for the day.

In use the camera IQ is exceptional for this price. Using auto settings the colours are vibrant and there is an excellent amount of detail. Using the portrait setting pops out the features, people I've photographed when out have been very impressed. I like the face recognition (it even picked out my dog!). Macro shots showed up a lot of detail and allowed me to get very close to the subjects.

I don't really use a digital camera for video but I found it to be really high quality. Again, impressive.

Long range shooting is aided by the IS, which works well. Like the 6D you can feel slight shake but looking at the screen shows there is no movement at all. I know it's all about gyros but this doesn't cease to amaze me!

I got some nice cricket shots but this is probably the only time it let me down, but only because unlike the 6D it just isn't fast enough to capture a moving ball at 50 metres: to be honest I don't think any compact camera could compete with a 70-300 IS lens so this is not a reason to mark the camera down.

The WIFI set up is simple. Download the free app, connect iPad (or whatever) to the camera's network and transfer the photos: simple and very useful, eg for posting to social networks if you have an iPhone to hand.

I bought a very nice case, the Canon DCC-970 Leather Camera Case for PowerShot SX500 and SX510, which is made by Canon, is currently less than £15 and is top quality. Only downer is that it screws in to the bottom of the camera so accessing memory cards and the battery is a minor pain.

All in all this is an amazing bit of kit, one I will take around with my when out and about. Shame it's not as portable as the Samsung WB800F Smart Camera 2.0 with Built-in Wi-Fi Connectivity - White (16.3MP, 21x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch HVGA Touch Screen but that's the price you pay for the longer optical zoom.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent SLR-like Canon Camera!, 19 May 2014
Uncle Barbar (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Canon PowerShot SX510 HS Camera - Black (12.1MP, 30x Zoom) 3 inch LCD
I'm never too sure about these "SLR-like" cameras. I have had a few SLRS in my day with their various lenses and also carry small compacts around with me (I love the Panasonic Lumix range) but have always been a bit sceptical of these middle range beasts. However... my eyes have been opened...

This Canon PowerShot SX510 really is a super little camera. It has a huge range of options in exposure and situation, has a massive zoom capability, starts at a nice wide 28mm and is a quality lens - with 12.1 megapixels

The lens is a 30x zoom but can also go to 60x with its "ZoomPlus" feature.

It also lets you focus in really closely for any bug pictures you might want to take.

It also records Full HD quality movies (they really are pretty darn good - I even recorded in quite average light conditions with excellent results).

You can share pictures wirelessly - this is pretty easy to set up when the appropriate software has been downloaded.

It has quite a large - 3 inch LCD viewing screen - nice and clear and bright.

You can let the "Smart Auto with Scene Detection" do the hard work for you or set up a myriad of different selection of creative filters and exposure types. I really like the Fish-eye Effect for fun pics of animals and friends!

There are plenty of automatic and semi automatic settings for various types of situations. To take more control of your shots you can go for Aperture Priority (Av), Shutter Priority (Tv) or pure manual for the most control (M).

When it comes down to the bottom line the most important is the ease of use of the camera, its versatility and, for me most importantly, the quality of the final picture. And on these points the Canon PowerShot SX510 is a great little camera and gets my BIG thumbs up!

5.0 out of 5 stars great camera, 11 Jun 2014
not professional photographer but got this for my wife and she absolutely adores it a great quality a good picture no problems well packaged fast delivery

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera, 8 July 2014
Great little camera. I already have a bigger Cannon, with separate lenses, but there are occasions when this is all a bit cumbersome, and this little gem is terrific. I took it on holiday to Andalusia, and came home with 900 photos, 95% of which are superb (and the other 5% is down to my lack of photographic skills!). Now all my family want one, so next Christmas seems to be sorted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon SX510 Powershot, 4 Aug 2014
Mr. Mark J. Handoll (UK) - See all my reviews
I normally use Canon 7d and 60d, but needed another camera for holidays etc,without the need for lugging around a big heavy DSLR. This is in effect a "mini" DSLR to look at. It really is very small, and the controls will be very familiar to Cano users. Very easy to use, and I was very impressed with picture quality, especially with the lens at full zoom. The telephoto is amazing! For a camera costing this little, it is quite staggering how good it is, with good video as well. I now take it every where with me. For the price, this camera is simply brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon Powershot SX 510 HS, 13 May 2014
Smashing little camera. Still learning about all of the functions....of which there are many. Great telephoto application, superb macro. Brilliant.