5.0 out of 5 stars skindred
heard about them but never actually heard them.a great band with their own powerful sound and energy on a great record
Published 5 months ago by Mr. James S. Edmondson

3.0 out of 5 stars "So Disappointing it Breaks Your Heart"
So say the lyrics, so is the album.

Published 7 months ago by Mr. C. Snewin

3.0 out of 5 stars "So Disappointing it Breaks Your Heart", 4 Feb 2014
Mr. C. Snewin (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kill The Power (Audio CD)
So say the lyrics, so is the album.

As I assume is the case with everyone else, I heard 'Ninja' and 'Kill the Power' and I was really looking forward to hearing the rest of the album. Unfortunately the rest of the album is disappointing. The other tracks lack what got me interested in Skindred in the first place; it's not hard-hitting, there aren't catchy riffs or choruses and they haven't pushed any boundaries. I think my main problem is they've tried to be something they're not; 'Ruling Force' tries to be The Prodigy, there are a few times where they've tried to be Enter Shikari, and 'World's on Fire' sounds like something you'd get from Nicki Minaj. It's not a bad album, there are some decent songs, but it's not up to the standard of Babylon, Roots Rock Riot, or Union Black. If you don't have any of those three, get them first.

Live they're still absolutely incredible, and 'Ninja' and 'Kill the Power' are fine additions to the riot. Sometimes when you hear songs live you change your mind, but 'We Live' sort of killed the show as the first encore song. Not even 'Warning' could fully recover what had been a fantastic set. I was disappointed with Shark Bites and Dog Fights and then they came up with Union Black - I'm hoping for a similar recovery next time out.

2.0 out of 5 stars A crushing disappointment!, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: Kill the Power (MP3 Download)
After the truly phenomenal 'Union Black' my anticipation for this album was very high indeed.

Unfortunately it is not at all what I was expecting.

The album starts strongly enough with the Title track but quickly goes downhill.

It has none of the 'edge' of Union Black, lacks the killer hooks, monster riffs & dirty beats, these have been replaced with boring, generic riffs, cheesy lyrics & commercial sounding hooks & choruses.
The songs Saturday & More Fire are particularly awful. The former wouldn't sound out of place on a 'Greenday' album the latter on a 'Bruno Mars' album.

A terrible album from a great band.

Back to the drawing board for the next one please guys.

2.0 out of 5 stars this band rocks like mofos and they succeed in coming over as a ..., 31 July 2014
This review is from: Kill The Power (Audio CD)
I thought Skindred's new album was a guaranteed classic, couldn't have been more wrong and I just don't get it. Live, this band rocks like mofos and they succeed in coming over as a mash up of sound system meets metal. They're the closest thing to Leftfield for that live sub bass boom, you literally feel it massage your body, the band are awesome and for my money Benji is the most capable front man around. 'Kill The Power' and 'Ninja' also hinted at album greatness but the result isn't even okay. I love this band and it hurts to declare the album as one almighty turkey. I can't really articulate just how far off the mark it is, I don't want experimentation, if it aint broke, don't fix it. Many say you should let a band experiment to grow and develop, well Skindred are fully grown and why develop perfection? Some tracks are just plain bad and others don't sound like Skindred, easily their worst album and their previous 'Union Black' was my favourite. I've played it many times now and I'm ready to give up on it. Be warned, for completists only.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its a change..., 3 Aug 2014
This review is from: Kill the Power (MP3 Download)
Skindred seem to have follow the trend of many bands recently and pull towards a more electronic feel with their music and after hearing the title track one could think it was a refreshing move. However of a major fan of their earlier albums, bar a few ok tracks, this quickly turned a good album to a poor one which had really put me off listening to the album again after only listening to it once. Too much electronic, not enough metal

4.0 out of 5 stars Killed power, 1 Jun 2014
theone&only (Nottingham, Notts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kill The Power (Audio CD)
After the genius 'Union Black' I was very much awaiting this album. I had heard 'Kill The Power' and 'Ninja' so my expectations were high for this.
The album opens with 'Kill The Power' - a wise move considering what comes after and it's the perfect opener - big beats, big riff and a passionate rant about 'zombie takeovers' from Ringleader Benji. Then something horrible happens. Track 2 'Ruling Force' is the worst song Skindred have ever produced. It's dubstep but not the way they have previously melded the influence into their sound - this is proper white-boy-tracksuit-Radio-1-dubstep .... and it's horrifying to the point where I can't even listen to it. That's when I put the brakes on for this album and realised I wasn't getting what I wanted. Skindred reckoned they were trying to capture their live essence on this album - well this is about as far away as their live sound as you can get!

'Playing with the devil' and 'World's On Fire' fare much better and sound like classic Skindred songs, despite the red flag of 'Ruling Force' that has let us know that the pop shine and auto-tuned perfection is here to stay on this record. 'The Kids Are Right Now' and 'We Live' throw another confusing message - they fall between great Skindred and again - that annoying Radio 1 pop sheen that by now has blighted this record.
When I found out they had hired Russ Ballard (songwriter for Kiss, Rainbow, Santana and plenty of other MOR acts) things made sense. Skindred are TRYING to make a record for the masses. Aha! Now it all makes sense! Right, now we know that it makes this album much easier to get along with. 'Open Eyed' is the next track on the album and I for one, think it's one of the best songs on here - the one time where Skindred make fantastic use of the shiny production tricks and catchy melodies.
Unfortunately 'Dollars and Dimes' has a great chorus but the rest of it is just naff and 'Saturday' is a good song if you can get over the fact that it is trying to force it's chorus down your throat.
The final 2 songs go back on an upward trajectory - 'Proceed With Caution' is old style aggression which is what we want, but it's tucked away at the back of the record and 'More Fire' is a brilliant Jamaican groove with some excellent guitar playing from Mikey Demus. It's good to know he still able to pull this out of the bag considering the heavily processed soulless riffs of the other songs that have been wrung dry of their punch by that production job.

So all in all - I have no idea how to rate this record - it is totally compromised. I find it sometimes uplifting and nice to have some catchy choruses to belt out whilst driving but I also miss the pure aggression and heavy that I need to put on before going out on a Saturday night. I will be kind and give it the benefit of the doubt with a 4 but they won't be so lucky next time! Skindred really need to stop trying to please other people - yes, it must be frustrating for them to not get the recognition they rightly deserve but in my opinion this band needs to ditch the fancy production and hit-making songwriters and get back in a room and rock out which is where their strengths lay.

5.0 out of 5 stars skindred, 18 April 2014
Mr. James S. Edmondson (u.k.) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Kill The Power (Audio CD)
I have been listening to it non stop for about a week. Love more fire and We Live. Would recommend this to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome CD, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: Kill The Power (Audio CD)
I'd recommend this CD to any metal fan....absolutely awesome !! Great mix of tempo for every mood. Mine's in my car.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Brilliant Album by Skindred!, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: Kill The Power (Audio CD)
As always a Rocking album as only Skindred can do.
If you like any of their stuff .. highly recommended .. they rock!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 21 Feb 2014
This review is from: Kill The Power [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I'm not great at writing reviews, but I can say any fan Skindred should not be disappointed with this album. I'm just hoping they tour the U.S. again soon!

Kill The Power
Kill The Power by Skindred (Audio CD - 2014)