5.0 out of 5 stars MUCH TO APPLAUD
Northumbrian and proud of it, DI Vera Stanhope is a force to be reckoned with. Unpredictable and looking like a bag lady, she lives for her work - success her speciality. Loyal DS Joe Ashwork forever keeps a watchful eye - mindful she has health problems, eats erratically and, when alone at home, is prone to drink.

This fine three season collection contains...
Published 14 months ago by Mr. D. L. Rees

2.0 out of 5 stars didn't like it sadly!
was not a lover of this, unfortunately! I like Brenda Blethyn, but the series was not to my taste... It was as simple as that.
Published 10 days ago by borboleta

5.0 out of 5 stars MUCH TO APPLAUD, 27 Feb. 2014
Mr. D. L. Rees "LEE DAVID" (DORSET) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Vera - Series 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)

This fine three season collection contains twelve episodes, each of around ninety minutes. All are set evocatively in scenery many may consider beautiful, others bleak. In the cases investigated nothing is cut and dried, some rather complicated and requiring close attention. Exploration of motives often reveals acts of desperation when there seems no alternative, some of the killers deserving sympathy, they victims of circumstances.

Brenda Blethyn triumphs as Vera, the brusqueness concealing humanity and a rare understanding. David Leon is excellent as Joe, ever trying to balance the demands of his job with the needs of his adored wife and young ones. Both in the books and on screen, chemistry between the two works a treat. Acting throughout impresses, even from those who are only briefly around. Enjoyments include Vera's exchanges with colleagues dour Kenny and Billy, the droll pathologist.

I made a mistake starting on the television series so shortly after enjoying five of Ann Cleeves' Vera novels. Four of them were included amongst the adaptations, I falling into the trap of being distracted by changes made (including in one instance a killer's identity). Better by far is the savouring of book and screen versions as separate entities - both with so much to offer, sometimes in different ways.

No extras, alas.

Brooding and fine, the series is rich in atmosphere and enhanced by a splendid central performance.

Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent police drama, 20 May 2014
Steven - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Vera - Series 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)
With a visual poetry reminiscent of the fasionable nordic noir, I viewed parts of my own region with renewed interest. Whilst I agree that the windswept landscape often looks bleak and cold, I take some enjoyment on looking at its rugged and natural beauty, although they could take some shots on sunny days, just once in a while to balance things out! The adverts for this didn't spark my interest and I avoided Vera until season three and only dipped in when there was nothing else on the TV. I'm glad I did though. Vera is the latest in a long line of offbeat detectives, full of contradictions, her shabby exterior reminds me of Columbo whilst the dogged approach to work puts me in mind of Prime Suspects Jane Tennison, although the sexism debate is refreshingly abscent. The storys aren't markedly different from any other police drama out there, with most murders boiling down to some localised human conflict. I find the characters particularly well drawn, I like the relationship Vera has with members of her team and especially with her Sargeant. I find strange comfort in the fact that she can barely reach the timeline board and that although she's oddly insular she's also worldly and kind. She doesn't suffer fools and gives credit where it's due, she's clever, but you wouldn't send her to the shop even with a list....I've met loads of people like that in my time...but I am a bit long in the tooth! I've ordered this product to catch up on the first two series.

5.0 out of 5 stars When is season 4 realeased?, 29 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Vera - Series 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)
Nothing better on a cold evening than watching two episodes of Vera on the trot. A great detective and good personal threads woven into the plots.

4.0 out of 5 stars Psychologically powerful, 8 Feb. 2014
Aletheuon (Wales UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Vera - Series 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)
This is an excellent series about a northern woman detective. It is not cheery viewing but the characterisation and the plots are first-class, gritty, realistic, consistent, powerful. Vera has her demons and does her job with shrewdness and compassion in the midst of her personal struggles. She has a dry sense of humour but her profound feeling for the suffering of others means that she suffers, too, in the harsh circumstances of her investigations.
The scripts are very skilfully written and the standard of acting is high. The plots gripped me from start to finish. I'll be honest and say that, if I had Vera's consistently dour life, I might be tempted to do something desperate. She lives her life in a state of resigned depression, it seems to me, making the best she can of circumstances that are seriously unfunny. Just a little lightness would be welcome, in my opinion, to balance the sadness. This is a very personal view, and it may be unfair, but it is the reason I gave this excellent series 4 stars and not 5.
Having said that, it is a tribute to the acting and writing that she emerges as a suffering and fully rounded human being whom one can discuss and analyse. These are first-class dramas and well worth watching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 7 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Vera - Series 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)
Vera is such a brilliant series and having all three in one dvd box is fantastic!!! Its one of those series that if you blink you miss something!! The writing is superb and would highly recommend this to anyone who loves murder mysteries and detective stories!!! Love it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 Aug. 2014
Martin Siegel - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vera - Series 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)
Great actors, great landscape and, of course, great stories.
Not knowing the series, as it is not broadcasted here in Austria, I ordered it based on the reviews I read.
I was not disappointed, on the contrary, Vera immediately gripped us.
Excellent actors down to the smallest role, convincing story telling and a landscape of such rough beauty one rarely finds elsewhere. A countryside made for the old Land Rover Vera is driving.
All episodes come with English subtitles which was very helpful for me as I'm not a native English speaker. I also learned some new vocabulary like "bairns" or "kip".
It's time I order Series 4, I think

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 13 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Vera - Series 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)
These series were an excellent find. Down to earth and completely plausable. Excellent portrayal of characters and would recommend these series to anyone who likes detective stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 5 Nov. 2013
Elaine Phillips (Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vera - Series 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)
Really enjoyed this DVD. Brenda Blethyn reminds me of Columbo. Really enjoy her dry sense of humour. And great acting

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 22 July 2014
This review is from: Vera - Series 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)
You don't get a different type of "cop" series very often but this is fabulous and unlike the norm. The Northern Countryside and moors is a pleasant change from the "Midsomers" types of fare and the lead character "Vera Stanhope" is the most unlikely Chief Inspector that I have seen for a long time. Storylines are good and the acting (whilst a bit stilted from some of the supporting cast) is perfectly acceptable. All in all, a good series on TV which lends itself to the dvd set quite nicely.

5.0 out of 5 stars and it really doesn't disappoint. Some strong story lines, 11 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Vera - Series 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)
Started watching the series on TV when it reached Series 4, so I just had to buy the DVD of the first three series, and it really doesn't disappoint. Some strong story lines, and first rate acting, all set in bleak but attractive Northumbrian countryside. Takes a bit to latch onto the accents, but as long as you can cope with Vera calling everyone 'Pet', you'll be fine!

Vera - Series 1-3 [DVD]
Vera - Series 1-3 [DVD] by Brenda Blethyn (DVD - 2013)