5.0 out of 5 stars This is The One
The Kipling Defea is the perfect bag. So there.

But seriously... we just got back from a holiday to the Arctic (wait, this is relevant, honest) and my Defea was the ideal travel companion. Allow me to explain.

Published 19 months ago by MrsSpike

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful - beware some of the lighter colours!
This is a review for the Sunflower Yellow Kipling Defea. I just want to state that i'm a long time Kipling fan and this is not my first Defea. The bag itself is excellent, a perfect mid size bag with all the trimmings you'd expect from the Kipling brand. But then we come to the colour. As you can see from my photo it is horrendous. In what universe is that sunflower...
Published 1 month ago by bk

5.0 out of 5 stars This is The One, 24 Nov. 2013
The Kipling Defea is the perfect bag. So there.

My husband always ribs me about the amount of luggage I take anywhere. To be fair to him, I usually do take way more than I actually end up using, so this time, despite the fact that I had a legitimate excuse to take more that usual (Arctic temperatures, so need more layers), I packed a medium rather than large suitcase and dug out my Defea to use as carry-on luggage.

Typically I use a Jansport rucksack as carry-on, believing that the 2 straps over the shoulders will make carrying all the rubbish I insist I need on a flight easier. But this didn't fit in with my pared-down packing plan, so the Defea it was.

Wow. Since the bag is so light to begin with, it was remarkably not that much heavier when full. I packed the following with no trouble:

Kindle
Tablet
Purse
Kipling Blossom bag with travel potions and lotions inside (hand sanitiser, emu oil, mini toothpaste, lip balm, mini aquaphor)
worldwide travel plug adaptor
travel bands
a flannel
a sponge (as you do)
keys
spare pare of socks and undies
travel wallet with passports, tickets, boarding passes etc
pens
pocket pack tissues
hairbrush
camera (in Kipling Flashy 2go case, natch)
camera mains charger
bag of crisps (2 bags of crackers on the return journey)
bottle of water
medication
small cross-body bag
ipod in case with earbuds etc

and more, which I have forgotten now. I used the long cross-body strap and honestly forgot I was carrying it, it was so comfortable. Usually my rucksack would weigh me down after a while but the Defea was amazing. The zipped pocket at the back was particularly useful for the travel wallet with passports etc in as was easily accessible.

As carry-on, so far so good.

Now to the holiday itself. I usually take a smaller cross-body bag, one that can be squished and flattened, in my carry-on and then use that as a handbag throughout the holiday. However on this particular holiday, that small bag wasn't appropriate, the reason being it was too small to fit all that one requires in the Arctic.
So out came the Defea again. We travelled by heated coach to various places but inevitably the destination was cold and windy (and wet, mostly) so we had to be prepared. In which case my trusty Defea was able to carry:

purse
tissues
water
usual handbag detritus yadda yadda
but in addition:
Arctic-grade gloves
Hat
snood
guidebooks
extra microfleece base layers
camera

all with apparent ease and comfortably.

For when we were on the ship, the Defea became my 'normal' handbag which it does well, given that it seems to shrink when it is not full and therefore doesn't look ridiculous (the way some big bags with not much in do).

The most important thing I discovered is that it can carry a bottle of Moet, a bottle of Prosecco, and a litre bottle of water with room for more which is just what you want when you are on a ship in the Arctic being battered by hurricane-force storms. You might as well be prepared.

The Defea is practical, extremely comfortable to wear, hard-wearing, and can be bunged in the washing machine. Admittedly, I didn't use it much before this holiday but it has now become my everyday bag.

Heartily recommend and am awaiting delivery of three more Defeas, after which I shall probably seek help for my Kipling addiction!

5.0 out of 5 stars A veritable tardis of a bag, 10 Dec. 2009
FussyMissus (Uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I am a kipling fan, let's make no bones about that, and most things kipling please me. They are uniformly well made, good colours and joy of joys they can be thrown in the washing machine and laundered as and when they need it, giving them much more longevity than normal bags.
The Defea is for women like me who carry a lot of random stuff around. Not only does it have the usual slots for phone, mp3 and the like, but it also has plenty of pouches and places to store keys, makeup, cheque books, credit cards and so on. Add to that the main compartment of the bag easily takes one sony vaio notebook, mouse, spare battery pack, mousemat and two university books along with a notepad (the paper type) and pens, and STILL has room for the heap of old receipts, the purse and the assortment of clutter I hike around with....and it is still NOT FULL.
The capacity of this bag is even more amazing given that it does not look that large from the outside.

When I am not carrying around heaps of study material, I have loads of room for small amounts of shopping in this bag, meaning no carrying around a spare bag, and this for me is a great bonus.

Reliable and sturdy, I cannot fault this most favourite bag of mine, and the colour is a nice one too - it is advertised as Emerald green, and I thought it would be bright and loud, but it is not, just a nice deep emerald colour, not at all youthful and funky.

Highly reccomended and the best bag I own!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sized bag, 18 Feb. 2011
As other reviewers have said this has multiple uses! Handy pockets, shape makes it good to carry even when full. The size is great as a mum of a toddler as fits my stuff and baby stuff. Highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars An exceedingly good bag., 23 July 2010
I am 53 and have never had a handbag. When I have needed to carry something I have used a small rucksack or just pockets. My sister-in-law has one of these bags in red and I thought how nice it looks. So I took the plunge and bought one for myself in black. I am SOOOOO pleased with it. I can carry loads of things; keys have their own little ring ro attach to, so no rummageing around to find them; lots of different pockets making it easy to store wallets, pens, business cards and other things like that. The main section is big enough to comfortably hold a large bible and note pad.
I look after my grandson regularly and it has been easy to carry all the necessary things, change of clothes, food, drink, cars, books, toys, with still plenty of room for my few bits.
Last week a bottle leaked in the main compartment so I stuffed the bag in the washing machine and it has come out as good as new.
Overall, I love the bag and can highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kipling bag, 17 April 2012
My wife assures me that the bag is very practical and roomy: good quality fabric, waterproof and lightweight. It arrived very promptly. I am a little concerned that this is Kipling bag number five!

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy, 3 May 2012
What you see is exactly what you get and is just perfect!I'm very pleased with my purchase, it was hassle free and without nasty surprises, the bag is of a medium size and full of zipped pockets, just what I needed!

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect!, 8 Jan. 2014
Got this bag in black snake print & love it. Great work bag - fits everything I need & more. My 8th Kipling bag and certainly won't be my last.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like to pack the kitchen sink when you go out..., 24 Sept. 2014
I can't compete with the wonderful review posted by another Kipling enthusiast who listed every item she'd managed to cram into her Defea - but I will just say that it is indeed a capacious and stylish bag that holds an amazing amount of kit. I like the variety of handle lengths - even with the long strap removed one can sling it over a shoulder. When full it stands up all by itself and the two slim side pockets are great for popping pens and tiny last minute things into.

If you want a large bag that doubles as an overnight or just like big bags this could be one for you. I also love the cardinal red colour (now last season darling but who cares?) as it is on the pinker side of red and the colour on this page is pretty accurate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kipling women's Defa 1 shoulder bag Grape, 14 Mar. 2012
dizzygirl (Weston-super-Mare) - See all my reviews
What a bag! So much room in it. It has lots of pockets internal and zipped external ones. Plenty of room for mobile, purse, cosmetics, water bottle etc. Adjustable shoulder strap with carry handles as well. Really excellent bag and just what I wanted. I sprayed it with water repellant spray so now it is waterproof as well. A very roomy bag. Also grape colour matches my Blackberry mobile too!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab big bag, 6 Jan. 2015
This is a BIG handbag. The largest section can just about hold my 12 inch laptop. It doesn't look too big though, and has lots of organisation built in.

The big main section has a double zip fastening. That means you can close it at either end, or at some point in between. Therefore it doesn't matter which shoulder you carry it on, the closure doesn't have to be behind you - unless you want it to be. This section is big enough to carry my folded up fleece, or two summer weight cardigans. I know that because I used it on holiday last year for exactly that. Inside, there are a few drop pockets on one side and a zipped purse pocket on the other. The drop pockets are good for your phone or music player, and my new money purse gets swamped with the size of the purse pocket.

On the back of the bag is a flat zipped pocket more than big enough to take my kindle, while on the front there are two chunkier zipped pockets. I keep a small camera in one, while the other usually holds a small torch and an onya shopping bag. On the front of each of these pockets is a smaller flat pocket, one with a diagonal zip, and one secured with a velcro flap. These are good for tickets and the like.

You may think that would be all the pockets you could fit in a bag, but there are two more which are easy to miss. On the ends of the bag, just underneath the loops for the long strap, there are two pockets secured with velcro. You might not think they are very big, but my 5 inch phone fits in there nicely. I could imagine they would also be good for holding a compact brolly.

KIPLING Womens Defea Shoulder Bag