5.0 out of 5 stars Ace
I have listened to Steve Hillage and Miquette Giraudy in their various guises since the mid nineteen seventies. This latest is a fabulous amalgam of, cliche alert, the old and the new and may just be the best thing I've heard from them since, well, their last best thing.

Published 11 months ago by Ian Burdon

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I purchased this on bit of a whim and am rather disappointed. I have some of the old Steve H stuff from the 70's and whilst he was always a bit spacey this is a bit too techno for me. It never really reaches a real peak, the music is almost discriminable from one track to another as the overriding theme is the techno rhythm (guitar, synth) and very little changes...
Published 8 months ago by Rikuc

5.0 out of 5 stars Ace, 30 Sep 2013
Ian Burdon "iansb" (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Phoenix Rising (Audio CD)

I like every track and have had the cd on near permanent repeat since it arrived, but I have to particularly highlight the cover of John McLaughlin's Meeting of the Spirits as being something special.

4.0 out of 5 stars Return to Space Rock, 15 Oct 2013
The Soft Machine Operator (COVENTRY, WARWICKSHIRE United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Phoenix Rising (Audio CD)
I like the System 7 ambient stuff (Fire and Water, for example) but the last CD of theirs I bought was too 'techno' and I've been wary ever since of buying another album. I was told this album eschews heavy techno for a more 'rock' oriented sound. This is not strictly true, as 'Love for the Phoenix' has a dance beat, but more in the 'Orb' style in that it's quite lightweight.

The music here, though, is very much in the mould of Hillage's early solo work and the space rock of seventies bands, with plenty of spacey synths and guitar solos and dramatic crescendoes. There's a cover a Mahavishnu Orchestra song which is quite stunning.

Speaking as someone who enjoys Hillage's solo work and work with Gong, this was perfect for me - the balance of space rock/prog rock and dance sounds is pretty perfect for my tastes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 4 Oct 2013
This review is from: Phoenix Rising (Audio CD)
This album has easily shot to the top of my list for favorite of this year. My only issue with System 7 is their over dependance on techno beats so I was very excited to hear a shift towards live drumming with the Rovo input. The guitar and synth work is masterful. If you liked Phoenix then you'll love this. You might spot a few riffs that hark back to 70's prog but that just adds to the overall flavor. Ace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Prog!, 6 Nov 2013
This review is from: Phoenix Rising LP (MP3 Download)
Phoenix Rising, for me, evokes the best of 70's Prog Rock. But as the title suggests; there is something NEW & EXCITING about this new album from Rovo & System 7. The sweeping synths and tireless guitar create atmospheric musical visions that are very much of the New Millennium. If you are a lover of Music, in whatever form, you WILL NOT be disappointed! Glorious!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just dance music, 19 May 2014
This review is from: Phoenix Rising (Audio CD)
This is Steve Hillage playing with a psychedelic rock band from Japan. Can I give it six stars?

Absolutely fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phil D. Abergavenny, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: Phoenix Rising LP (MP3 Download)
A truly outstanding album. Musically excellent and very, very well written and performed. I only "happened upon" both Steve Hillage (aka System 7) and Rovo via the usual links and prompts from the Amazon likes etc. but what an incredible find . The production of the album is extremely well done and if you listen to the album in detail - it may take a few times - the depth of feeling and energy will clearly show. Guitars and keyboards/synths. are musically perfect, and oh the energy of the two drummers. It should lift your heart.
PS. Check out the official promo. video also.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars are not enough !, 5 Jan 2014
This review is from: Phoenix Rising (Audio CD)
I love this. I just love it ! As a person who enjoys a wide palette of music , & when i say music i mean real music & not commercial rubbish that they love to spoon feed us all, this appeals to my inner retro.
It sound fresh & new but just reeks of a mixture of prog & space rock. It actually reminds me a bit of Hawkwinds 'LEVITATION', probably on account of the awesome guitar that keeps returning throughout the album.

That aside, i listen to it as a unique album & it takes me right where i want to go & then keeps me there until its sweet ending. Pure bliss & the production quality is fab, none of that 'Turn it all up loud & give everyone ear fatigue' nonsense here, it's been properly produced by real experienced old hats & they have done an amazing job.
I love it & hope that they produce some more. There's plenty more room for more of it here....Please.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 24 Dec 2013
This review is from: Phoenix Rising (Audio CD)
Well here we go, what a superb album. Steve is on great form I'm not sure he's ever made a duff album! Been following his work since the 70's & Gong, this album seems to capture some of that heady vibe. Fav track has to be Hinotori. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 12 Dec 2013
I. White "seadragon13" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Phoenix Rising LP (MP3 Download)
Great stuff. Was advised to buy this by my cousin. Damn grateful I did. Worth every penny. Will be looking for more by them.

4.0 out of 5 stars AMBIENT SOUNDS, 13 Nov 2013
This review is from: Phoenix Rising (Audio CD)
DEFINATELY HILLAGE DOIN HIS THAANG AND ITS A NICE SUB BASS ALBUM FULL OF SPACEY NOISES AND LOVELY RYTHMS, I CANT PRAISE THIS ONE ENOUGH.........THO IT DOESNT REALLY TAKE OFF ITS STILL A NICE ALBUM FOR THOSE LATE NIGHTS AFTER THE PARTY AND WHEN YER CHILLING WITH SOME FRIENDS HAVIN A CIGAR AND A DRINKY............EARTH CALLING.

Phoenix Rising
Phoenix Rising by Rovo System 7 (Audio CD - 2013)