Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£19.15

on 16 September 2014
Wide awake is very well written and an absolute page turner. I think I had about two bathroom breaks reading it because I wanted to find out what happened in the end! If that happens when you're reading it must be a good book. The premise was interesting. If you woke up from a coma and had no memory of who you were BC (before coma) then what would you do?

Emma has this dilemma even though she's assured that her memory may come back over time. Small things may trip her into remembering features of her past life. However when Emma is gradually told about who she was BC she's not entirely sure she wants to be that person again. Arrogant, demanding, a girl with a jock of a boyfriend (who even started dating someone else while she was in said coma), someone who ruled the school with a 'look at me' attitude. I wasn't sure I'd want to be that person either. She doesn't know her parents or siblings, she can't relate to them in any way so while she's in hospital she gets closer to Mason, her physiotherapist who visited her daily during C.

Soon after waking she develops a crush on him only to learn that he has feelings for her too. The story unfolds and what I loved about this book is the way Emma stuck to her guns and didn't give in to her family trying to mold her back into the person she once was. She not daddy's girl any more, in fact he can't stand to be around her because she isn't 'his daughter'. Her mother appeared to love the antics of old Emma, antics that are cringe-worthy. In the end Emma finds no peace within her world except when she's with Mason. Learning about Mason gives her life more meaning and soon she's wrapped in a new world away from the norm.

As we reach the end I actually feel very sorry for Emma. The emotions that Crane brings out are true and very real. Emma suffers right until the end. A great, unique and thought-provoking read.
on 21 April 2013
Review from [...]

This is a book that instantly made me want to stand up and take notice, I am a huge Shelly Crane fan the way she is able to tell a story always leave me amazed and I cannot wait to gobble up anything she gives us, even if it means staying up to all hours of the morning like I did with this book . . . I just could not put it down.

"It doesn't matter who you were or what you've done in the past. The only thing that matters is who you are right now."

Emma Walker has woken up from a 6 month coma and has no idea who she is or who the strangers are around her, she is generally confused and bewildered. How could she forget her own life or the people in it? Even more confusing she finds herself wanting to trust the man with the beautiful Hazel eyes who was standing over her when she first opened her eyes.

"You're the girl that I'm falling madly in love with." I felt all the breath leave me. My mouth fell open, but no words escaped. He chuckled. "A speechless Emma. That's really cute."

Emma's parents are overwhelmed at having their daughter awake and all they want is to have her back even if they have to be a little overbearing to get there. You feel for Emma and can get her frustration and the emptiness she must feel. Your hearts will break for her parents in some moment but on others you want to yell at them to take a step back and give Emma a chance to breath and understand herself what is going on.

"Sometimes, knowing when to let go is just as important as knowing when to hold tight."

Emma's friends want her to be something she doesn't remember and there is a huge pressure on her to fit back into her old life like nothing happened but that is more complicated then anyone realizes, Emma is not the person she was and she needs to be given the time and space to work out who she is now without being forced into a mold of her former self.

"The things we should focus on in any life shouldn't be what we've lost, but what we've gained"

Emma also learns that she has a boyfriend, the only problem is she doesn't see how it was possible that she was ever attracted to him in the first place and he appears to be a complete Jerk, she has no feeling towards him and all she can think about is her attraction towards him.

"I want to give you back your first kiss, the one that jerk stole from you. And I want it to be something that even a coma can't make you forget."

Mason is the man with the beautiful hazel eyes and he also happens to be Emma's physical therapist. He is kind and patient and perhaps the only person who Emma can be herself around without any preconceived notions and fear of upsetting anyone else. It also helps that she has something yummy to look at with his dark hair, piercing eyes and tattoo's can you say man candy? he can me swooning throughout the book and I have decided i need my own copy of him at home as soon as possible please and thank you.

"I turned my face to let his nose rub my cheek. "Mason, let's just stay here," I told him breathlessly.
He chuckled, huskily and dangerously. "Oh, no, absolutely not. I'm not to be trusted with you alone right now."

This book has an amazing flow and story line and will keep you on your toes and never wanting to put it down, like all of Shelly's books I wanted and needed more until the very end where I needed a few moments to just gather my thoughts and smile.

5.5/5 well deserved stars!
on 13 April 2013
I really enjoyed this story. I couldn't imagine waking up in a hospital and not having any idea as to who I was or who the people around me were. To remember music, words, books, etc.. but not anything about your actual life. Scary.

I found Emma to be a strong character. Not knowing who she was before and the pressure from her family and friends to try to conform to who they wanted her to be now. They want her to remember herself as before and they try their hardest to force her to think and act a certain way.

However the more Emma learns about her 'old' self the more she realizes she doesn't really like the person she was before. To be frank she was a spoiled brat. Rude, needy and one of the mean girls at school. This is not the Emma now and the drives she obviously felt before are no longer there. She doesn't care about fancy cars, money, designer purses, or being a part of the 'it' couple at school.

Enter Mason. Mason is Emma's physical therapist and helps her after she wakes up. I know what you are thinking... eewww[...] Her physical therapist? He is only a few years older than Emma and nothing inappropriate happens while she is in the hospital. I was at first worried that the feelings she was having toward Mason was because of him being her carer but thankfully it never came across like that. He is always sweet and kind to Emma and is the one person that tells her it is okay to be who she wants to be. She doesn't have to be who her friends and family are trying to force her into being.

"I'm going to take you somewhere and kiss you until you can't think or move or breathe."

My only issue at all with Wide Awake is that I did feel a few of the side characters were a bit unrealistic or a little over the top. For example... in the hospital the psychiatrist that is 'helping' Emma seems to be giving her terrible advice and it appears to be stemmed from the fact that she may or may not have feelings for Mason. And the head doctor seemed to be a little weird as well. Emma's family has a lot of money and it just seemed like the facility had a few shady characters... These small issues in no way stopped my enjoyment of the story but I did just want to mention that I felt some of the interactions were a little 'off'.

I recommend Wide Awake for a quick, enjoyable read. The love between Emma and Mason was really sweet and it does have a lovely story.

"You're the girl that I'm falling madly in love with."

I felt all the breath leave me. My mouth fell open, but no words escaped.

He chuckled. "A speechless Emma. That's really cute."

Christine
Rainy Day Reads
on 9 April 2013
I loved this book, I could have read it in one setting, had I not developed a migraine and grudgingly had to put the book down.

the story begins with Emma, waking up from a 6 month long coma. She is unaware of what has happened and starts to panic when she wakes and is surrounded by tubes and machines. The only thing that calms her is the young man who was there as she opened her eyes. As she comes round from the meds, she (and her parents)realise that she has absolutely no personal memories of her family, friends, or even her self. She has no idea who the people in her room are that claim to be her parents, but feels close to Mason, the therapist who has been working her muscles for the last 6 months while she was in her coma, and the one who was there as she woke.
Through her rehabilitation, she develops feelings for Mason, but he tries to stay professional, mainly because he knows its unethical as she is a patient, but also because he thinks she is forming the attachment because he was the one that was there when she came round.

Emma has to adjust to her new life, to try and be herself now, and not what her family and friends expect her to be. She doesn't like the person she was (from what she has been told by others) and also tries to build up a new relationship with her parents, who are trying to adjust to her new personality.

Mason is such a sweetheart, he is supportive and there for Emma when she needs him, he is the only one in her life that wants her to be the person she is now while everyone else pushes her to be who she was, and I loved how their relationship developed. My only gripe with this is that it wasnt long enough - I could have read more about Mason!
on 17 January 2014
I really liked the idea of this book very much. The whole reinventing yourself, being a better person thing appeals to me as a concept. Unfortunately I wasn't bowled over by the romance. It seemed to happen too quickly. I found the interaction with her parents and friends was well done it wasn't rushed or uncomplicated. The conflict between who Emma was/is was fascinating and had me wondering about how much of who we are is determined by our experiences/memories in our life and therefore how different would we be if suddenly all that was gone. Like I said though, I just didn't buy the romance. It was nice and sweet when they were together but there wasn't enough of the 'falling' phase for me. It seemed instantaneous. Because I struggled with this I found myself not really engaging with the book and skimmed most of the last third. Then I got cross because the book finishes at 90% and that really annoys me! I'm expecting a whole lot more story because the counter says 90% but it's suddenly over! I wasn't too disappointed it was over though. Onwards to another book and another author!
on 9 April 2013
Wow. I have read Shelly Cranes before such as : the significance series. But hell this blew me away the whole concept of waking up and not knowing who you are, seeing your parents disappointment, witnessing two sides of life, making the right choices for a change, experiencing your 'first kiss', the cheeky banter between character it just all came together splendidly. I really should of been revising for my A-level's but this kept me intrigued and I had to know what happened next, just to cure my addiction. It was beautiful in so many ways by capturing the pressure oh high school and parents whilst also weight and appearance, I bought this book when it was at the price of £4.99, when it first came out and I would happily do it again. I also loved all the facts throughout, I didn't understand at first but then I clicked what they really symbolised - piecing the simple things back together. Thankyou for this Shelly Crane.
on 7 April 2013
It was okay! I really wanted to love this book, but everything happened way too quickly! It wasn't very realistic... There was no build up or enough tension/angst between mason and emma! Also, i found the relationship and scenes between emma and her previous boyfriend strange and 'unrealistic', as well as with her parents, there wasn't much character development and some scenes needed more of a 'back story', instead of being rushed. However, there were many scenes i loved, the useless facts concept was very warming and i loved the banter between emma and mason. Emma has good wit :)
on 7 July 2013
I like the concept, and some of it was really well handled. She spends a lot of time feeling sad that her new persona is a disappointment to her mom and dad, which I totally understand. And the ex-boyfriend stuff was also realistic. But I just didn't understand the new relationship - it didn't feel right or real. Aimed at young adults, but manages to be too adult and too childish at the same time.
on 6 May 2013
Wonderful story and characters, a great start to a mini-series for Shelly Crane. Really looking forward to reading Wide Open!
on 10 July 2013
Can't wait for next one,really enjoyed this one. Hope we don't have to wait to long. Great read so get reading people.