on 12 November 2013
1. 2cd set: cd 1: 16tracks, cd 2:14 tracks.
2. Different settings: The Jazz Couriers, The Johnny Dankworth Orchestra, Jimmy Deuchar Plus Ten,Victor Feldman And Tubby Hayes, The New Tubby Hayes Quintet, Tubby Hayes With The Walter Bisshop Jr. Trio.
3. Personnel: Tubby Hayes ts,vbs,fl;ssx on Quota; Ronnie Scott ts; Phil Bates, Jeff Clyne, Kenny Napper, Freddy Logan b; Terry Shannon, Stan Tracey, Gordon Beck p; Bill Eyden, Bobby Orr, Jackie Dougan, Alan Ganley dr; Dizzy Reece tp on Blues In Trinity; Jimmy Deuchar, Ian Hamer, Les Condon tp; Ken Wray vtb; Ronnie Ross as,bar; Victor Feldman p; David Snell harp on In The Night.
4.Great performances. Tubby has still a great tone on all tracks and plays flawless, with steady hand and a wonderful technique. Ronnie Scott performs also great in The Couriers setting. This is one of my favourite albums, because these are really rare performances.
5. It's a matter of taste, but for me, #13 is not my cup of tea, because of the soprano, however Tubby plays great. #14 is with The Walter Bishop Trio in the USA with a long piano solo. I prefer the British players.
6. Sound quality: very acceptable regarding the period and the live recording. The US track is very poor.
7.Very recommended despite some shortcomings. Good price-quality ratio.
on 29 October 2013
Rare soundbites of Britain's best ever modern jazz genius.Some tracks have never been commercially recorded & it is interesting to compare the other items with Tempo recordings already available.Although the sound quality is not the best ,Tubby's creativity & fluency shines through.It is also intersting to listen to the posh ,unhip introductions by BBC announcers like Dacid Jacobs & Alan Dell on Jazz Club.
An important addition to the Tubby Hayes discography.
on 20 December 2014
Some great numbers here. The recordings are in mono, and I have to say the quality is a bit lower than I really expected. I did expect the "cleaning up" of the originals to be much better. However, still pleasurable listening of a great player and outstanding musician, but don't expect "high fidelity" reproduction. Brian.