5.0 out of 5 stars No adopted parent should be without this as a reference, 2 Mar. 2010
I tried everything and nothing worked, then someone put me onto Heather Forbes and Bryan Post and this book is used time and time again as a reminder. I had a child who's behaviour at home was so difficult we had thought the only thing to do is send him back. Thank God I found this book and these two amazing people. We have peace and happiness at last!!!! Highly recommended and their websites

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, 8 Nov. 2012
If you have adopted any child or are thinking of adopting a child this book is one you should read. Read the book The Primal Wound by Nancy Verrier first then read this straight after so you know there is hope. I adopted my sisters children after she died and I could not understand the behaviour, I have went through years of blaming myself trying every parenting programme I could find, having people tell me I was not strict enough, I was to soft, I felt to sorry for the children etc. I have just finished these 2 books and now I understand so much better, why It seems to be a constant battle of wills in my home. I hope now with this understanding that I can change things, in fact things have improved just because my attitude has changed, I can't recommend this book enough if you want to understand the Adopted Child, whatever your circumstances.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Adopted, Fostered and Looked After Child needs you to read this...., 2 Jan. 2015
This book (and the subsequent volume) provide an effective model for parenting (and managing if a teacher) traumatised and attachment challenged children. Based on up to date neuroscience and most importantly focusing your contribution to the dance. A neat juxtaposition of traditional parenting ideas and inherited shoulds against the neuroscience.

These children are every adopted/fostered/Looked After child

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant insight, 7 Aug. 2012
The ideas clearly presented in this book are a source of hope to parents who are struggling to manage children in their transitions. A degree of self awareness is required and this is not a solve it manual where the blame sits tightly on anyone's lap. Rather, it offers a view of how emotional issues are triggerred in the cycle of parenting and a way of making sense of the most stressful aspects therein.

5.0 out of 5 stars one needing and deserving love. Parents are encouraged to consider their own fears ..., 22 Oct. 2014
Finally a book that gets to the heart of the issues involved. The authors, unlike others whom I've read, make the child neither the enemy nor the victim. The child is part of the family, one needing and deserving love. Parents are encouraged to consider their own fears which drive their own responses and behaviours towards their kids. Very insightful. And it works! Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read for foster parents, 13 Dec. 2014
I am a therapeutic foster parent and this book is great to dip into for advice on challenging behaviour especially when I need to see what is behind the behaviour. It is a must for anyone fostering traumatised children. Have put the advice into action & it works! Liked the summary at the end of it chapter. Easy to read as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond consequences, 27 Sept. 2013
A thought provoking book with strategies and good common sense advice. Like the down to earth case studies too. Good to reflect on current thinking with new ideas. Not sure all will work but worth a try

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond Consequences, Logic and Control, 17 Feb. 2014
An excellent and informative book. Gave information and strategies easily able to be put into practice. I would recommend the book to anyone with a child with a problem

5.0 out of 5 stars volume one, 13 Nov. 2014
Absolutely brill. Perfect sense. As a textbook easy to use for study and also for continued therapeutic parenting. Use this book again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, 6 Jan. 2013
This book is well worth the money. Its an easy read. At first it appears a bit repetitive but I thinks its just to punch the message home!