5.0 out of 5 stars Starkly and dangerously imagined, hecticly paced vision., 13 Jan 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Hot-head (Paperback)
'This guy is incandescent' goes the cover blurb on my edition, which I picked up on spec in a motorway service station. The next day I had finished it and was in mourning that there was no more. Ings paints a jagged and terrifying picture of our future. At our fingertips is brain compatable hardware, (datafat), von Neuman self replicating machines and easy space travel. We also have dead seas, shattered cities and sinister conspiracies. Same old same old us with nasty new toys. There are, naturally, also aliens in this book, like much science fiction. And like most Sci-fi there is speculation on what an alien intelligence is like. Ings' gives these aliens a motive and a means to be a very threatening presence throughout the book. The difference is that these aliens are as much a by product of human technology as nuclear waste is a by product of nuclear power. It's just that nuclear waste is more benign... Malise, the central character is as damged and twisted as the broken landscape she inhabits, gifted, but not in control of those gifts. This is a starkly and dangerously imagined, hecticly paced vision. Read it and hope it doesn't happen...

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good., 16 Mar 2014
This review is from: Hot Head (Paperback)
There's a serious lack of information online about this author and any of his books before "Wolves", but those who know him tend to think he helped shaped the genre. Maybe he did, but I'd expect to find more info on him if that were the case. So I took a chance with this book and it paid off.

This is one of those books that I found I needed to learn how to read, nota lot is spelled out for you, and you need to really get used to this kind of writing first. Maybe that's just me. Either way, by the end I was understanding around 70% of what what happening.

I love the ideas and themes in this book, and it's clearly written by a very smart man who doesn't compromise for accessibility. You have to stick with it to really get why you should be reading this book, but it's more than worth it. I've read many books that you can compare ideas used to the contents of this book, but I can still say that I don't think I've ever read anything quite like it. I look forward to reading some of his other books, perhaps Wolves.

I could swear there were quite a lot of typos - missing line breaks and quote marks, mostly. Wasn't much of an issue, but this book released in 91, you'd expect some of that to be fixed by now.

Hot Head