5.0 out of 5 stars Small camera with big potential
I now carry this camera with me daily, I keep it in the glove box where it is ready to go.

Published 7 months ago by Puglia Birdman

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not enough!
I am a novice photographer, I don't know much about photography but I like to take pictures everywhere I go so when it came the time to replace my old point&shoot camera I went looking at reviews on the web. After lots of reading and YouTube viewing I narrowed it down to the Canon and the Sony RX100. I ordered both (thank you Amazon for making returns so easy!) and after...
Published 4 months ago by The Price is Right

5.0 out of 5 stars Small camera with big potential, 7 May 2014
This review is from: Canon PowerShot S120 Camera - Black (12.1MP, 5x Zoom) 3 inch Touch LCD (Electronics)

It gives a great image quality, the shots I bin are my fault - one way or another - the exposures are spot on as is white balance. I normally leave it on the Programme setting and occasionally use Aperture Priority, but there are lots of adjustments that can be made. My favorites are the ND filter, use of manual focusing via the lens ring and HDR setting for difficult lighting conditions. Adjustments and Menus can be easily accessed via the touch screen or buttons on the camera's rear.

For a Canon user the Menus are intuitive and easy to use.

A NOTE on battery life. The number of shots per charge seems to improve with charging cycles, I now easily get a days shooting from a single fully charged battery (but I do carry a spare). Whilst this camera uses the NB-L6 battery it is rated as providing 3.7V - 1060mAh and is marked as NB-6LH. It is important to use a genuine Canon battery of the correct rateing.

This is an expensive option but it is a worthwhile investment.

I have spent some time looking for a suitable carry case and have found the Lowepro REZO 20 a perfect fit.

5.0 out of 5 stars and really good photos. Can use as point and shoot in ..., 8 Nov 2014
Ian Macpherson "ianmac" (England) - See all my reviews
Tremendously sophisticated, and really good photos. Can use as point and shoot in easy auto mode, or can use in complete manual mode - or one of many more creative modes. I like the idea of the auto mode which also takes a 4 second video... and then combines all the videos into a daily digest video. Good fun for family occasions I think.
I haven't worked out the wi-fi yet. Nor have I worked out how to get gps locations linked to the photos....but there is time.
Best thing about the camera is that it goes in a pocket. It will be a great alternative to my DSLR.

5.0 out of 5 stars A handy little camera, 27 Feb 2014
I previously reviewed this camera quite harshly because of its battery life. However, you can easily get an hour worth of HD video recording (though if you want to use this for filming it is best to do so on a full charge. The filming time reduces if you also take photos, but my wife tested this and it definitely can film for an hour on a full battery, which is the estimated time by Canon).
There are a lot of manual settings to play with in photo mode, but since neither me nor my wife are expert photographers, we leave it on auto and it has produced quality images out of the box.
One thing to note, if you use this for filming, the battery indicator will start to flash at around 25 minutes or so. It will easily record for another 25 minutes so it is nothing to worry about. Also if you have used the camera for around an hour of photography, when you enter film mode, the battery may start flashing. I called Canon and they told me this is because it requires more battery power to film than take photos so when you switch to video mode, the camera bases its calculations on how much battery will be required to continue. If you have already used the camera for taking photos for some time, the battery indicator will flash because there will not be enough juice for it to film for very long. There is no problem with video mode. As it happens, the HD film clips are easily comparable to a dedicated camcorder. I think with one extra battery, users will barely notice problems with batteries. Although one can complain, it is a very small pocket camera with a lot of sophisticated tech inside, and it all requires a lot of power to run, and to make a device this small, the battery cannot be very big. I think if you take a few photos everyday it should be OK. I have not used the wi fi mode nor have I connected it with anything yet, but those features are there for those who want them. The next big thing with compact cameras will be 4k filming but for now that is pointless since very few people have the necessary equipment to exhibit video of that resolution. This camera will last quite a long time, and it will easily produce usable printed photos up to A3 in size. Also, the star mode is a lovely bonus and I am sure it will be fun to use the feature at some point. It is easier to capture star trails on this than on other compacts. The Sony Rx100 II and the Panasonic GM1 are the main competitors here, but they are a little bigger, and more expensive so in this form factor, this camera stands alone. It pffers good image quality and it is small. There is no one camera to rule them all anyway. This has never been the case and cannot ever be the case. You will never have the best camera because people have different requirements, priorities and expectations. There are always things other cameras do better, which is why professional photographer's have many different cameras and lenses. That is because most cameras are not good at everything, so if you think going for the other two cameras I mentioned will be better, the results will be similar. This is why the S120 is a good choice as it does most things and doesn't cost a fortune so you won't be as disappointed by its limitations. It also defeats the purpose to buy a compact camera that is not pocketable. This is for people who just want good quality images that are a step up from smartphones, which often struggle with getting closer to the action. I think smartphone image quality can be very high these days but they cannot zoom. Even if you crop into a high resolution image noise creeps in and I think a camera of this sort is more versatile in various lighting situations. In some years' time, the compact camera market may be dead but for now very few smartphones can rival the quality of images produced by this Canon camera. I highly recommend this and think it is one of the best available models of its class. It is always good to have a proper camera made by a company that actually has a pedigree in the research and development of imaging products. This is also good for beginner photographers as it has manual controls that you can learn to master. Anyway, I am happy to recommend this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great advanced compact, 30 Jun 2014
I've been using a Powershot S95 as my second camera (to my DSLR/CSC) for a few years now. There were some functions of the S120 that appealed to me - these were the brighter/wider lens, wifi functions, better focus tracking and the high burst rate. The touchscreen functionality wasn't a factor in my purchase, but I've come to really like it. One big plus for me with the S120 is the built in ND filter which is great for using the wider apertures in sunlight.

The picture quality is as good as one can hope from a small sensor like this and the overall level of control and customisation is excellent.

While I rely on a more expensive APS-C camera for my landscape work - I have found myself carrying the S120 around all the time and have been pleasantly surprised at some of the shots I've got with this camera. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving it, 27 Oct 2014
jim_50 (Redhill, England) - See all my reviews
Just the job - full manual with display assisting judgement and instant feedback on choices - plus easy automatic operation when there just isn't time to prepare. Plenty of new features to try - e.g. do I go artificial background blur or just pick a short field of focus for similar but different effect - so plenty of opportunity to learn more to get the best out of the new technology. Very compact and easy to handle. I'm a fan

5.0 out of 5 stars An everyday alternative to the SLR, 27 July 2014
This is an ideal camera for someone who is familiar with using a canon SLR but is put off using it as much as they should by the inconvenience that comes with hauling around such a large piece of kit. The camera controls are equivalent to the SLR but the added functionality of the smart-phone quality touch screen and the pocket-friendly dimensions takes this camera to another level of usability. It's not cheap but the build quality and results more than justify the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a superb little camera producing excellent results. I bought it as a pocketable alternative ..., 13 Nov 2014
This is a superb little camera producing excellent results. I bought it as a pocketable alternative to my DSLR system and a lightweight standalone camera when I want to travel light. The camera has a super lens and full manual control. It has a solid metal body so it's not as light as cheaper compacts but it feels substantial, good for handholding in low light.

5.0 out of 5 stars great camera, 3 Dec 2014
N. F. Silva "Ratovsky" (Porto, Portugal) - See all my reviews
The camera works perfectly. I've been working with it for a little bit and I realise that I need to get more experience using all the functions because it really gives you a lot of freedom with the settings.
If you want a standard shot it will do it amazingly and if you want to fiddle with photo settings it does as well.
Couldn't be happier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done Canon, yet again!, 9 Dec 2014
Love this Canon and easy to use. Quality is high as would be expected of a Canon. The camera is the type you can pass to your friends at parties and they also can easily just snap away. The focal length is very good at 24mm and from there quality is kept once pics are cropped and enlarged.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice camera, shame about the battery life, 18 Nov 2014
Good camera, well made and solid tactile feel but battery is temperamental and lacking the life of previous IXUS models. It's a shame this spoils an otherwise excellent camera.