4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and engaging
Published on 11 April 2007 by K. Hannay

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent grammar book
Lots of interesting articles taken from newspapers or famous texts from French literature. Good explanations,easy to read. For a degree student a more comprehensive book will be required on top of this.
Published 7 months ago by Frank

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and engaging, 11 April 2007
K. Hannay "kh014u5746" (yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
As an advanced learner of French, I found this book very useful. I particularly enjoyed the thoughtful emphasis on identifying (and rectifying) errors of grammar consistently made by English speakers when learning French. Unlike other reviewers, I found the range of texts used to be varied and interesting - I went on to discover the stories of Prevert from reading extracts in this book. The analysis provided for each text is thorough and cross referenced throughout. It is truly hard to make this kind of book intersting, especially if you are reading them on your own but I think this is one of the best out there and I am a sad enough person to have read quite a few!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent clear summary of French grammar rules, 10 Aug 2012
Margaret Robbie (Wiltshire UK) - See all my reviews
As someone who is newly enthusiastic about developing effective working French skills following involvement in twinning with a village in Northern France, I am, I suspect, not a typical user of this book. I studied A Level French 45 years ago but have forgotten - or perhaps had never learned - so much grammar.

As another reviewer has said, this is not an easy book and certainly not one for beginners, but, from my experience, it is accurately pitched at the target market of around or just post A Level as described in the preface. For those who like an academic approach and who need to consolidate and extend knowledge of French grammar, it is an excellent buy.

The book is proving to be a godsend in sorting out many confusions for me with its very clear explanations of rules and usage which are well-illustrated with a range of texts. There are useful exercises to complete to reinforce learning of each topic covered. As I work through the book (I have reached chapter 5 as I write), I am relearning much I have forgotten or only half knew and covering many points that I have never met before.

I have only two criticisms: of the very repetitive format chosen and of the order of topics. Texts from a wider range of modern French writing and more varied tasks might have given the book a more lively feel.

All the tenses are covered in successive chapters at the start of the book but I've found I can only take in so much detailed information on tenses before I become thoroughly bogged down. I would therefore have appreciated some variety and will not be completing the chapters in the order given, eg after the work on the most common tenses, I will cover negatives or nouns and pronouns. I only hope this approach will work and that I will not find myself having to complete exercises using points I haven't covered!

Overall though, this is a most useful book and I will complete all the remaining chapters (perhaps with the exception of the two on the subjunctive which I doubt I will need!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Grammar revision!, 8 Nov 2010
Joan "Joan Wattam" (South Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Set out in an orderly style, and addressing all aspects of French Grammar, with exercises to test understanding and ability - plus with the Key at the end of the book(!)

A good way of revising; sometimes, a new book on Grammar can bring an interesting, clear facet to one's understanding.

The book also contains extracts from French literature - a good way of being introduced to it, or revisiting a favourite author.

I am glad to have purchased this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars What more could you want, 18 May 2013
I'm a first year undergraduate student studying French and I have to say that this textbook has been incredibly useful in supplementing my classes on French grammar. I would say that it not only provides an in-depth coverage of the basics of French grammar, such as the present tense, nouns & adjectives, but also builds up to the more advanced concepts too and everything in between. Really useful textbook, would highly recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent grammar book, 16 Dec 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars great grammar book, 16 Feb 2013
Very useful book. Long explanations and gives many examples. Lots of exercises and answers too. Good for those studying french at higher level

4.0 out of 5 stars Grammar in Context, 12 Nov 2012
This book provides a comprehensive view of French Grammar, including irregulars and useful things to know. It is easy to use as starts with an introduction to the topic and then has some exercises to do which enable you to put what you've learnt into practice straight away!

4.0 out of 5 stars Concise and approachable, 29 Oct 2012
This book is a nice, concise way to look at French grammar. It explains things in a way that makes it very easy to understand. I particularly like the way it uses authentic texts to exemplify the uses of grammar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise, yet comprehensive, 15 July 2011
This is a concise, yet comprehensive, review of French grammar. It also includes helpful sections to practise putting the grammar into context.

3.0 out of 5 stars Concise but tough, 26 July 2003
This is a super concise book for French grammer but it's hard to use. The book is full of texts which deal with a variety of topics and are subdivided into their appropriate Grammatical sections (e.g one text for present tense, one for verbs etc..) and each tense when used in the text is highlighted.There's also questions to answer at the end of each unit.
The book's layout is easy but boring. You won't find any adventerous info about France or any enjoyable pictures to look at and the language used to describe what should be relatively simple things can get a little too encumbering but as a learning aid it's good to have. The book isn't easy going and i wouldn't recommend it to beginners. I use it in conjunction with France Extra which is a follow up to A vous la France and it fits in nicely but that's just me. There are easier books to use out there but if you want to learn all the rules about grammer then this might be the one for you. Still if you're not sure then i'd advise you to try and loan it out from the local library and see for yourself.