5.0 out of 5 stars Rory in a totally new light
I was always going to like Kickback City. I've been a Rory Gallagher fan since I first heard him back in the 70s, I am a comic fan and I love crime fiction. So I was biased from the start. But here is the thing, I had high expectations and they have been completely surpassed.

Published 12 months ago by Rintu Basu "Author - Persu...

1.0 out of 5 stars boring
did not like this at all would not recommend this to any body too slow not what you would think it would be
Published 4 months ago by mrs barbara

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Rory in a totally new light, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: Kickback City (Audio CD)

In all the years of listening to Rory's music I don't think I have every listened that closely to the lyrics. At least not in this way.

When I got the box set the first thing I did was listen to the story whilst flicking through the book. It is just a novella so it lasts less than an hour. I am not a great fan of audio books but the story held my attention not only because Ian Rankin does a good job but also because of the great visuals from Timothy Truman in the book and Aidan Quinn really sells the part. You can have a lot of fun listening for song lyrics and titles as you go through.

But the best for me came from reading the book listening to the "sound track" There was something quite surreal to doing this and I found myself in stages totally immersed in either the story or the music.

As a result I have now spent a number of hours going through all of my old Rory albums really listening to them and paying attention to the lyrics in a way that I never have before. It's like I'm rediscovering him all over again.

This is a fantastic collection. If you are a Rory Gallagher fan you will love this box set. It you are just starting to become aquanted to his music then this is a perfect place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kickback City, 8 Nov 2013
D. J. Wilden "denise7248" (Maidenhead, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kickback City (Audio CD)
I feel sure Rory would have been chuffed to little mintballs over this, its really cleverly done and with Rory's songs to accompany the novella, brilliant, hats off to Donal Gallagher for having the idea, hats off to Ian Rankin for writing the novella, Timothy Truman for the illustrations and Aiden Quinn for the narration and of course to Rory for the music

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant way to introduce people to the genius of Rory Gallagher..., 12 Nov 2013
J. Crampton "Jamie Crampton, Film nut" (Bedford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Kickback City (Audio CD)
When I read about this project I felt a little trepidacious.. I wasn't a particular fan of Rory, although I knew who he was and actually bought the compilation "Big Guns" a few years ago, but for some reason never really listened much to it. Having taken the plunge I was pleasantly impressed when the package arrived, a hardback book cased 3 CD package with a very well drawn and scripted graphic novel. Really though its all about the music, and that is what makes the project. Listening to the words of the songs its clear that Rory drew some graphic novels with his writing, and the idea to combine those with a story is genius. Listening to the novel part of the CD its fantastic the way that the song titles and their various characters fit into the story. The songs themselves are also fantastic, while guitarists like Clapton and his like get all the plaudits Rory remains pretty much a hidden gem - hopefully projects like this will thrust his legend into the public eye where these songs belong. The extra live disc also gives his songs a bit more "oomph" - and Im not usually a fan of live stuff (on record), but done like this - it's excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music, 8 Nov 2013
This review is from: Kickback City (Audio CD)
The first LP I ever bought was taste. Just had a significant birthday and bought this to celebrate. Oh the nostalgia! Superb package and I loved the live section - this reminded me why I collected all those LPs and CDs. What a brilliant guitarist and musician. Essential pack for Mr Gallagher fans and any young people who wish to discover real blues/rock music.

5.0 out of 5 stars RORY GALLAGHER: 'KICKBACK CITY' -BOX-SET, 30 Oct 2013
RORY GALLAGHER: 'KICKBACK CITY' BOX-SET
(Sony Music CMG)
Release Date: 28th October 2013
Gary 'Rockulus' Clarke

kickback city

It felt like any other morning with a crisp, fresh vibe in the musty air. The dame had gone to work her dead-end job under the cover of the early morning darkness, stepping around the puddles which were the only signatures of the downpour the previous night.

Feeling the Autumnal chill, I slipped on some clothes and couldn't shake the thoughts that were in my head. There was an assignment that had to be tackled, that had to be shared with the world. An assignment like no other when compared to some of the jobs I'd had to chew on.

I sat down to write a review of a box set that initially spoke to me of presention, but once I started to dig deeper revealed so much more. The box set was a collaborative package incorporating the varied talents of an author called Ian Rankin, an illustrator known as Timothy Truman and an actor that had paved a notable career and went by the name of Aidan Quinn.

These three misfits were affiliated with a box set that came to my attention thanks to some publicity and an individual who will remain anonymous. The tip off was somehow concealed within the shadows of electronic mail, and it whispered to me.

I don't recall word for word what it said, but it contained a vague similarity along the lines of: "Gary, you're a no good waste of space who sits on his backside from morning to night. It's time for you to earn a pretty penny and wrap your eyes and ears around this collection."

They were right on a couple of accounts, and who was I to say no. I got bills to pay just like the next fella.

Thinking back to how it all started stirs something in me, something that I cannot put my finger on. I guess I should start at the beginning.

It was a few minutes after noon as I rubbed my chin, feeling the prickles of my stubble, when the phone rang. I quietly hoped that it might be a guardian angel ready to inform me of a plan to whisk me off to 'Kickback City' to check out what others called 'The Lie Factory' but instead I heard the soft lilt of an Irish accent. The voice belonged to Rory Gallagher's brother, Donal Gallagher.

He sounded like it was business as usual, and over the course of our conversation had a lot to say. After all, he had lived and grown up with a guitarist and vocalist who shook things up and did things his own way.

Rory Gallagher was known for initially making an impact via a band known as Taste, but from 1971 through to 1990 had successfully built up a body of consistently strong work that allowed him the luxury of impressing and touching many famous hearts as a solo artist.

rory gallagher

The spell he cast reached such notable talents as Eric Clapton, the Rolling Stones, James Dean Bradfield from the Manic Street Preachers, Brian May and many, many others. Whether you stumbled across him through hearing a cover of his track 'Cradle Rock' by Joe Bonamassa for example, or you'd been there when the guitarist/vocalist was alive and performing emotive gigs, somehow this guy got under the skin.

"I knew my brother Rory was a great lover of crime books, and it was one of his hobbies and passions", began Gallagher's Brother as the story unfolded. He went on to fill me in on the work he was doing for an acoustic-based album by Rory and how during the mixing process the engineer informed him that the book he was reading was called 'A Question Of Blood' by Rankin. The protagonist in this book went by the name of Rebus and was a fan of Rory Gallagher.

"I thought about this idea of a crime novel", Donal advised when referring to talks with Sony about concepts and releases to do with Rory's back catalogue.

"Once I knew the record label were kind of interested in this crime idea then, I was going to Scotland, so I asked Ian if he would be kind enough to meet me and chat about the idea of; it was my son (Daniel Gallagher) actually said rather than get him to write the sleeve notes get him to write about something more specific."

With the concept of the crime theme sitting around for about two years, and with Donal accumulating around forty tracks that retained that sense of criminal character from the body of work that Rory had left behind, the plan was in motion.

"So I gave Ian these forty tracks like a jigsaw puzzle and said well actually, could you find a thread or a storyline through these songs?"

As it happens, Rankin completely got it and whilst this idea unravelled, another element to this intriguing story was taking place in the U.S.

A comic book called 'Grimjack' had an episode about a musician who carried a battered Stratocaster and resembled Rory Gallagher along with other subtle nods to the man.

"We made contact with the artist, a guy called Timothy Truman, who declared his love for Rory." Truman highlighted his general love of music and how he too played guitar and had worked on cover artwork for Grateful Dead amongst other things.

"I said, look I've got this idea. Ian Rankin's going to write the story, would you perhaps do some graphics for it?" enthused Donal as he reflected over the exchange of communications.

About a year or so went by as the process came together knitting the words of Rankin with the graphic design of Truman for the main character known as a Regan, the Private Investigator, or Agatha Dempsey, Kid Gloves and Anthony Costello amongst others. Donal then explained the thinking behind bringing in Quinn to provide a voice for Regan adding another dimension to the crime-themed concept.

"We had the story formed from Rory's lyrics and the graphics formed from Ian's writing so it had become quite elaborate by then; and actually thought well a lot of people who are, to make sure they would get it I felt that it needed almost an audio book because not everybody's you know, the greatest reader, and particularly crime plots can be a little bit entangled for people.

"So we approached Aidan Quinn because we wanted a voice with a good sort of American gang, detective accent if you like, that was non-descriptive, the 40s, 50s, whether it was Chicago, New York or L.A. or whatever."

I interrupt my recollections of that fateful conversation over the phone by taking a look at the hardcover book-like presentation of 'Kickback City', with Regan's image standing in the middle of the street. This was worthy of any top quality graphic novel I could have ever laid my hands on. Truman had done good; I couldn't dispute that.

As I leaf through the pages, there is the novella by Rankin which he titled 'The Lie Factory', the name for the city that Regan chooses to give it due to the criminal and illegal nature of how the city built its way up. Slipped in amongst the pages are pockets containing three CDs.

One is a studio-based compilation that showcases fourteen tracks from Rory's solo career that are appropriate to the story. A second CD is the remastered and audio version of the 'Live In Cork Opera House' film around the time of Rory's 1987 album 'Defender', with a third CD providing the audio book where Quinn does a fabulous job of putting a voice to Regan taking us through the story of 'The Lie Factory'.

If that wasn't sufficient, I then notice some postcards adding the cherry on top.

'Kickback City' is a lavish affair providing those who take the time to not only read a crime-based novella from the mind of Rankin, but also get to indulge the eyes with a feast of graphic novel proportioned imagery. The compilation of Rory's music is the inspiration behind the novella and had to be included, but what is a real treat for those Rory fans is the live CD which is a real bonus.

I'd spent several days going to and fro in my car with the third CD playing. Watching the road twist and turn to the soundtrack of Quinn's voice narrating the words that Rankin had set out for his novella. When I'd go back to the written material and read 'The Lie Factory', interestingly enough I heard Quinn's voice in my head. They were meant for each other.

Father and son team Donal and Daniel Gallagher haven't cut any corners making this box set a comprehensive and thrilling collection. I felt like this was real value for money and an interesting collaboration bringing together top names from different fields.

Would I dare visit 'Kickback City' and survive to tell my story? A scruffy urchin like me would be murdered in cold blood and buried without anyone noticing that I was gone. 'The Devil made me do it' I guess. I'm off to face those 'loanshark blues'.

So, on that thought, I'm off to dip in to this world that's all thanks to the initial works of Rory Gallagher, and then given a new lease of life by the ever-talented mind of Ian Rankin.

CD 1.

CD 3.
1. The Lie Factory - Narrated by Aidan Quinn

5.0 out of 5 stars Xmas present., 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: Kickback City (Audio CD)
Bought as a present for Fiance,looks great and excellent delivery,from the package looks a great buy.and he will love the song choices as a great fan of Rory.

5.0 out of 5 stars gallagher brilliance, 4 Dec 2013
Mr. David Nicholson (west yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kickback City (Audio CD)
this is a great package brilliant songs and a comic as well it just looks the part . buy it if you havent got the stuff already

4.0 out of 5 stars A 'novel' idea!, 2 Nov 2013
Alison E. O'Connor (melbourne) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kickback City (Audio CD)
great little package this! Niifty idea and really well presented. The music excellent of course! If you're a fan of Rory's , then you will really like this! If not- well it's just a well executed cmpilation with a great live cd and the bonus of having a read or having a listen to AIdan Quinn read it to ya! Good stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Purchase, 10 Dec 2013
Mr "2 Hammers" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kickback City (Audio CD)
I must admit I have mixed feelings about Gallagher, I love his guitar playing; the Curt Cobain of blues but have mixed feelings about his voice. However as a concept album or concept package or whatever you would call this I think it is exemplary. I heard about it on Radio 4 Front Row with Rankin grunting lyrically about and realised I had nothing by Gallagher on the streaming system so immediately bought this and order what the London Libraries had in terms of back catalogue.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice package, 20 Jan 2014
P. Holden (Worcestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kickback City (Audio CD)
Heard this reviewed on the radio and thought I'd pick it up.
The package as a whole is v nicely put together - book is great and the two music CDs are good, too. The live album is better and has a great feel - rawness and vigour. The studio album is less so and feels slightly rough at the edges. Nonetheless, it is a satisfying set and Rory fans will enjoy it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Kickback City
Kickback City by Rory Gallagher (Audio CD - 2013)