5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasmagorical - Blu-Ray Release
The image quality of this Blu-Ray release is fantastic and is worth buying just for that.

The movie is shown in its original 2.2:1 Aspect Ratio and has 7.1 channel Sound.

The movie was shot in 65mm Super Panavision which I expect leads to the high quality image.

Plus of course the film was made by the same experts as several of the James...
Published on 21 Oct 2010 by IM35461

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the widescreen version
Ignore the "On the DVD" part of the amazon review, as the version on this DVD is what you would see on a regular TV broadcast, i.e. the ends of the original widescreen shape have been cropped off to make the image 1.33:1 proportions. Only the opening credits (the vintage car race scenes) have the original letterboxed widescreen retained. Other than that it is fine,...
Published on 1 Jan 2009 by ricadus

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasmagorical - Blu-Ray Release, 21 Oct 2010
IM35461 "IM35461" (East Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Plus of course the film was made by the same experts as several of the James Bond movies.

Some of the extras are the same as in the 2003 DVD Release and the disc features two basic games that can be played using the Blu-Ray player remote control.

The only one negative I found was the slow loading time of the disc but at least after the movie it only has a copyright image in English unlike some that go on for over five minutes in many languages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is it worth upgrading to the Blu-ray version ?, 18 Oct 2010
Mr. D. Matthews (UK) - See all my reviews
This film needs no introduction from me, so perhaps the only real question of interest is "Is it worth upgrading from the DVD version to Blu-ray ?".
The answer is a resounding Yes. There is so much background detail to be enjoyed in this High Definition version, from Caractacus Potts inventions through to the sweet factory and the toymaker's workshop. The film quality is as fresh as the day it was shot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (special edition boxed set), 9 Jan 2005
Richard Helm (Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I first watched the film as a youngster in the early 1970's, and have been holding out for the widescreen version - and very glad I did!
The digital soundtrack offers a cinematic experience, adding to the excitement of the story, offering everything you'd expect from a musical.
Not only is the film offered in original widescreen format, the 'special features' and the free Corgi model car enhance the excitement.
From on-set stills, to exclusive interviews with the main cast, this is well worth every penny.
The story is as enchanting now, as it was when I was a child, and I smiled all the way through the movie!
I always remembered the opening sequence, with Chitty as the racing car, leading up to the amazing transformation, when Potts emerges from the barn with a gleaming Automobile.
From then on the story propels you into an enchanting world of both make-believe and quaint reality, where things aren't always as they seem.
Although the Baron may be fantasy, Grandpa is a wonderful contrast, while Truly, played beautifully by Sally Ann Howes is the love-intrest to Dick Van Dyke, the spirited, though unsuccessful inventor and single parent to two children.
When the car is about to be scrapped, the children beg their father to buy it from the local scrap dealer, and here the story begins.
Can Chitty really fly, or is this the imagination of an inventor, solely for the benefit of entertaining his children?
The magic will keep you hooked, as will the songs, and if you enjoy it half as much as I did...
This has got to be one of the best value for money DVD packages I have purchased to date. (As was the Sound of Music special edition)
Also with free on-stage musical ticket offer, and music CD, and story booklet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Magic !!, 31 Dec 2001
By A Customer
A beautiful piece of cinema, and a testimony to all that is good, honest and happy in the world. I enjoyed it as a five year old, the sheer happiness and enthusiasm of the film practically brought tears to my eyes as a twenty five year old. This is the stuff that makes childhood such a wonderful experience - such happiness and enthusiasm. Pure nostalgia, and I'm still in love with Sally Ann Howes.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantasmogorically brilliant!, 30 Jan 2005
Ms. S. L. Firth (Stoke, UK) - See all my reviews
What can I say- I just love this film. I had it on video and almost wore away the tape from repeated watchings! I bought the Collectors Edition DVD set complete with Chitty car and double dvd discs. This is a fantastic journey through an adventure. Crisp picture quality and sound allowed me to see the film through new eyes. The songs are fantastic; my favourite being Doll On A Music Box as its my favourite scene in the whole film because of the sheer brilliance of Dick Van Dyke and Sally Ann Howes' convincing portrayal of toys. The childcatcher still scares me everytime he says Come and Get Your Lollipops. I tried to explain this to my class, who have never seen the film. They're in for a treat at the end of term when I put it onto the interactive whiteboard with surround sound. Despite the 1968 style special effects, which were fantastic by those standards, you get sucked into the world of Chitty. I always wanted to be Truly Scrumptious when I was little. Seeing this again has reminded me of fond childhood memories. I've watched it over four times in one week because I've noticed things in the widescreen version that I didn't have on VHS- such as Sally Ann Howes smacking Dick Van DYke into the mirror during the music box scene. I also find the two spies much funnier now. Gert Frobe as Baron Bombhurst adds hilarity and I remember Anna Quayle more for her part as Mrs Monroe in Grange Hill rather than the Baroness in Chitty. Their scene for Chu-chi Face is quite sado-masochistic as an adult watcher of the film. Children would not get the undertones of the darkness of their relationship! All in all, I would have loved to have seen the wedding between Truly and Caractacus but as the film is long enough, the immortal lines "Well Mr Potts, now we'll have to get married!" will have to do and leave the rest to imagination. Just one gripe- Sally Ann Howes should have been given much more to do- her voice is a stunner. Much as many people have claimed that there wasn't much chemistry between her and Van Dyke- I beg to differ. On widescreen you notice that there is a smouldering chemistry by small facial expressions. The kids were great too! Oh, and I didn't realise that beach was in St Tropez. Better get travelling to see it and run through the surf there as they did in the film!

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, 14 Nov 2003
I went and saw the stage version of Chitty and loved it, but whilst I have been off school ill this week I watched the movie and can't stop watching it. Call me sad, but I am addicted to it!
I was really annoyed when I read a review on the movie last which said ' Sally Ann Howes (aka Truly) was supposed to be the Julie Andrews of the movie, but she can't act or sing as well as Julie herself!' All I can say is, if Sally was meant to act and sing like Julie, then the producers would have taken Julie on board instead of Sally. Sally is Sally and not Julie. She can act and sing nearly, if not better, then Julie Andrews and that brings the movie to life, so STOP COMPARING THEM!!!!!
My favourite part of the movie was definately the songs and dance routines, with 'Doll on the music box' and 'toot sweets'the main ones which I constantly sing along to!
The scene which I find the most annoying is the end one, simply because it ends, and wish they had filmed the wedding and what the four are like as a family living under the same roof.
Any way, I love the film now, andI will do in the future!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this old musical, 27 July 2004
By A Customer
What a great family musical! Nice songs, nice little story, Dick van D is always good value. I remember seeing this at the pictures when I was about 10 years old (and that is about 30 years ago). I still derive great pleasure from watching it, now with my own seven year old son. Actually I think I like it more than he does. Just a really, really good movie and one to have in your collection if you like Disney musicals. I am sure that reviews like this are not really necessary - everyone must know this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chitty Chitty Bang Bang DVD, 10 April 2004
Absolutely fantastic film - I loved it when I was a child and now my four children (9,6,4,2) are enjoying it as much - it actually keeps them quiet and I can sit and enjoy the lovely songs and scenes once again.
Delivery was excellent and the DVD quality is superb - we have it on video but it is a bit crackly from the usage over the years, but with this DVD I hope to have many more years of clear viewing of a classic family film.

5.0 out of 5 stars A New Benchmark In Transfer Quality For BLU RAY, 13 Nov 2010
Mark Barry "Mark Barry" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
*** THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE 2010 BLU-RAY REISSUE ***

Little prepares you for the print on this - it's simply extraordinary.

It's been frame-by-frame restored using the Lowry Digital Restoration Process which was used on all 20 of the Bond films, the three Godfather movies, the original Star Wars Trilogy, the Indiana Jones films and even the transfer of Avatar (all to much acclaim).

But this 2010 Blu Ray/DVD Combination pack reissue of 1968's "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" has to be a benchmark - even for them.

After the excellent 2DVD set issued a few years back, I didn't think that much more improvement could be wrenched out of the negative, but it has been. This transfer is practically faultless - BEAUTIFUL to look at for the whole duration of the movie. Directed with style and flair by Ken Hughes and filmed in 70mm Super Panavision Technicolor - it's a sumptuous feast of colours - you see their period clothes anew, the details in the inventions inside Caractacus Pott's hillside home, the uncluttered English countryside, the Scrumptious Sweet Factory, the seaside scenes, the two bumbling spies, the toy dance at the King's Birthday Party in the Palace where their love shines out and almost gets them caught - all of it - gorgeous to look at. There's old and 'New Extras' also...

Sally Ann Howes looks suitably wholesome and lovely, Dick Van Dyke is as likeable as ever (a much underrated leading man) and the songs are excellent if not a little twee in places. The quirks of Sixties movies remain intact too - the patience-sapping Overture at the beginning where a black screen sits there with only the roaring of car engines before the picture finally appears - the "Intermission" break in the middle (so you could go and buy sweets) where Chitty goes over the cliff-edge and you don't find out what happens until the film starts up again and you're back in your seats - all there - as it was in the cinema - and the original aspect retained too.

The child-catcher is still the scariest monster ever created in cinema (with Benny Hill being strangely creepy too) and the interplay between Gert Frobe and Anna Quayle as the bickering King and Queen of Vulgaria is still pricelessly funny. All this and Stanley Unwin speaking "...horribold..." English to Lionel Jeffries - which always makes me pine for The Small Faces 1967 album masterpiece 'Ogden's Nutgone Flake' (he spoke in between tracks on Side 2).

Sure it'll be too saccharine for our "Call Of Duty" teenagers to enjoy nowadays, but there's something timeless and lovely about this 'magical car' movie - and that beautifully evocative "Hushabye Mountain" melody always renders me a quivering mush whenever I hear it.

This 2010 BLU RAY of "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" is a superlative reissue of a family classic. Ian Fleming would indeed be shaken - and possibly even stirred.

Recommended like a Toot Sweet and duet with the wife on "Chu-Chi Face".

PS: for other superb restorations on BLU RAY, see also my reviews for "The Italian Job", "Saturday Night, Sunday Morning", "The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner", "North By Northwest", "Cool Hand Luke", "The Dambusters", "The Prisoner - The Complete (UK TV) Series In High Definition", "Braveheart", "Snatch", "The Ladykillers", "The African Queen", "Back To The Future Trilogy", "Kelly's Heroes", "Brief Encounter", "All Quiet On The Western Front" and "To Kill A Mockingbird".

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Family film, 27 Mar 2003
This is such a great family film. Its got something for everyone including the most frightening villian in childrens films..! I have introduced my children to it, and we all love it more than ever. 'Doll on a music box' with the 'Truly Scrumptious' counterpoint is my very favourite sequence.

Chitty Chitty Bang [Blu-ray] [1968] [US Import]