5.0 out of 5 stars Class.Pure Class
Published 10 months ago by T. J. Toher

1.0 out of 5 stars Apalling
Very very disappointed with this Christmas gift. We would like a replacement please. It sticks on several tracks which totally ruined my partner's enjoyment of this CD.
Published 8 months ago by Mrs M J Luketa

5.0 out of 5 stars Class.Pure Class, 29 Oct 2013
T. J. Toher "tomt" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beautiful Life (Audio CD)
Haven't got time to do a detailed track by track review but if there is a better female interpreter of a song than Ms. Reeves alive than please tell me who she is. This album oozes class from the first note to the last and turns some average songs into classics and even one song I dislike intensely into essential listening. Her duet with Gregory Porter is particularly apposite as he is the best male soul/jazz singer around as well. This album is obviously essential if you are already familiar with her work. But if you have not heard her before, check it out or just be bold and buy it. You will end up buying up her back catalogue but this is as as good a place to start as any.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Voice, 27 Nov 2013
This review is from: Beautiful Life (Audio CD)
Some great covers especially the Bob Marley track. Had tickets to see Dianne in concert and wanted to hear the album before - glad we did, even though she was even better live. Definitely a beautiful lady with a beautiful soul which is evident when she sings. Would recommend this album to anyone and especially good for relaxing at the end of the day with a glass of wine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soul and jazz at its best, 11 Nov 2013
This review is from: Beautiful Life (Audio CD)
I have been a Dianne Reeves fan for some time now and I think this is her best offering for a long time. Her voice is the best out there and will please soul and Jazz fans. The stand out tracks for me are: Feels So Good (Lifted), I Want You and a wonderful duet with Gregory Porter, Satiated (Been Waiting). Easily my album of the year and its also only the second time I have given a 5 star review.

5.0 out of 5 stars great soul album, 11 Dec 2013
M Mchunu "Mondli Mchunu" (Kempton Park, South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beautiful Life (Audio CD)
I must say that this is my first album from Ms Reeves but I do know most of her music. Knowing her as a vocal jazz artist, I must say that for me this album sounds more of a soul/neo-soul album. I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Life, 16 Nov 2013
This review is from: Beautiful Life (Audio CD)
Very pleasant listening. I have several Dianne Reeves cd's but this one is really easy listening. Mostly slow songs and enjoyable to play as a background or more concentrated listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Class, 4 Nov 2013
R. Wyatt (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beautiful Life (Audio CD)
Its been quite a while since her last album and so I did a search and found this. Its great. Probably her best album to date. Its a bit more soul than most of her other efforts but otherwise its more of the same. Great interpretation and some fantastic arrangements. The pick of the great black american talent around at the moment and that peerless, pitch perfect voice. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Album, 2 Nov 2013
This review is from: Beautiful Life (Audio CD)
I have been listening to Dianne Reeves for some years and have always been impressed by the range of her voice, it's depth and the cleverness of her phrasing. She is a polished and accomplished artist who is always pitch perfect. Beautiful Life shows off all her talents and then some --- it is by far the most contemporary of her albums in terms of its arrangements, and these complement her voice beautifully. The great Robert Glasper is on 'Dream' but every track is worth owning and playing again and again. A brilliant album. If you only buy one album from Dianne Reeves' extensive catalogue, make it this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars It takes a jazz musician to make the perfect pop record....., 12 Mar 2014
Ian Thumwood "ian17577" (Winchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beautiful Life (Audio CD)
This record initially took me by surprise. Having decanted from Blue Note, I was quite amazed that Dianne Reeves would fetch up on Concord with a new disc which is effectively a pop record. Having heard her perform live on a number of occasions, Dianne Reeves is one of my favourite jazz artists and even though I love hearing more experimental styles of jazz, I think she remains one of the best artists I have seen perform in concert. Not only is her voice perhaps the closest to perfect in singing since Ella but she puts on a brilliant show. I love her music, whether it straight ahead jazz, records with large orchestras or something more fusion orientated. Without doubt Dianne Reeves is World Class.

"Beautiful Life" is certainly more commercial than anything I have heard her do before. Normally I'm not too fussed by pop yet this is a record which puts her popular compatriots completely in the shade. The production is top notch and whilst the soloists don't have so much room to stretch out, I feel the arrangements are fabulous. This CD hits the ground running with three fantastic arrangement with even a Fleetwood Mac tune sounding like it was a piece of jazz. All the covers are transformed into credible jazz vehicles - no surprise as the singer has a track record of achieving this. The guest appearances are somewhat muted or in the background albeit the duet with the brilliant Gregory Porter suggests that a future collaboration that would match the Ray Charles / Betty Carter album of about fifty years ago. The record gets more sassy on "32 flavours" before continuing in a more mellow mode. For me, the best is saved to last with the original "long road ahead" which seems like a vintage composition despite being written by Dianne Reeves for the album.

The record boasts an impressive array of guests such as Sean Jones, the late George Duke, Gregoire Maret, Gerald Clayton, Robert Glasper and Marvin Sewell as well as singers Esperanza Spalding, Gregory Porter and Lalah Hathaway. However, Dianne Reeves is very much the star albeit the arrangements by the great Terri Lyne Carrington also add a degree of classy veneer which fully deserve favourable comment.

I suppose that the adventurous jazz credentials are less audible than on her previous albums but when the results are as good as this it would be foolish to complain. The record has rarely been out of my player since Christmas and is one that certainly gets the thumbs up from me. No surprise to find a jazz musician better at making a pop record than 99% of pop artists.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply wonderful, 9 Mar 2014
This review is from: Beautiful Life (Audio CD)
I have a number of Dianne's albums which have all pleased me. However, in the case of this album it is simply wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new direction, 19 Feb 2014
Neri Stefano (Bologna, Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beautiful Life (Audio CD)
Great album! A new way in the Diane Reeves's career. The collaboration with Robert Glasper and Gregory Porter rapresent A step forward where jazz and Nu soul are togheter. My favourite album in 2014

Beautiful Life
Beautiful Life by Dianne Reeves (Audio CD - 2013)