on 1 January 2014
When reading this massive work it has to be remembered that Dumas wrote it as a serial for a newspaper (rather like Dickens) so the main plot is dragged up side roads for long stories which eventually have a relevance to the main action. This version is an American translation from the French and when reading about France in the early 19th century one is sometimes surprised by modern idioms. However, it takes nothing away from this great story which has been made the subject of more than one film, non of which come near to reflecting the actual book.
on 21 August 2014
The story is obviously very good, but the presentation is not. Firstly there is a lot of american spelling which completely ruins the pleasure normally obtained, and then there is the punctuation whichis not up to scratch. Speech indicators in particular are badly handled so that it is sometimes difficult to decide which person has "spoken".
on 29 May 2015
I think that this book starts off quite easily but by the 5th chapter it gets pretty hard. It changes from one person to another which is very confusing. I'm only 9 but (if I must say so) a very experienced reader. This book was just too much for me. I'd recommend it for around 10 - 16 age readers. Also the language was quite hard.
on 10 November 2015
I really enjoyed this kindle English translation of Alexander Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo. It is an epic, but what a classic! Yes, at times it ponders along and even goes down a few rabbit holes as the author strings us along, but this is understandable as it was originally written as a serial. I went from cover to cover in a very short time, and found it compelling, indeed I could not put it down!
I was particularly interested in the conjoined themes of justice & revenge. Edmund Dantes moves from depression to attempted suicide and eventually vows revenge after years of false imprisonment. Upon becoming the inheritor of a vast fortune he believes himself to be the ‘hand of God’ and sets about wrecking the lives of his betrayers. However, I felt Edmund Dantes is a character in conflict. He wants revenge (or is it justice) but at one point upon seeing the devastation of his plotting the author remarks,
“Men who are truly generous are always ready to be compassionate when the misfortune of their enemies surpasses the limits of their hatred”.
Of course all this internal conflict makes for excellent story-telling!
Probably the best part of the novel and certainly the most uplifting was the deliverance of Morrel from public shame, bankruptcy and even suicide. It really is a wonderfully convoluted cliff-hanger, but what a piece of writing. The film versions just cannot capture the intensity of moments like this. In fairness, the film versions cannot include everything and have to leave so much out. The 2003 DVD release starring Gerard Depardieu is easily the best film version, as it sticks closest to the original plot. As for Depardieu, superb! Dumas, sublime.
on 26 November 2013
After having watched the movie years ago, I decided to read the book to find that the movie does not do it justice. The book is written in an amazing English that completely divulges the readers interest! It is amazing how the sub plots intertwine to the main story and how the author has managed to keep the readers in the dark from the protagonists strategies! For anyone who likes classic novels and would certainly recommend this book !
on 29 December 2014
The first quarter of this novel is brilliant. The conversations are a bit long at times, but overall the pace is masterly done, the plot has everything that a great adventure ought to - I was impressed and I thought I'd actually found a classic that was deserving of being a classic.

Then, the author changes tack. The protagonist Dante is featured from a distance as the Counte, through the eyes of an uninteresting character; the pace and gripping events vanish; pointless conversation dominates the pages between needless characters. Frankly it becomes awful.

This book was written in installments for newspaper publication, which might explain why everything is drawn out ridiculously - but it could have been done so much better. What was a great story becomes torturous. I gave up and saved those hours.

The first 25% is classic writing, and it is that which must have made the name of this book. Overall it isn't a well written novel.
on 19 March 2014
Although this is an old classic book I have seen the film but never read the book - what a mistake as I couldn't put the book down even though it is very lengthy - The twists in the story and the intertwining of the various characters, plots and sub plots were magnificent.

Highly recommended if you haven't read it
on 9 January 2014
Don't be put off by its enormous size, tiny text and age. This is definitely worth reading. Its very interesting to see other European languages written in English and the different insights they bring. At times it can feel slow, you might find yourself wondering; why am I reading about this random person? But if you enjoy reading for the sake of reading and the insights it can bring to you I highly recommend ploughing through this one. there is a very good reason people still read this book so long after its publication.
on 25 March 2014
There are sections of this that are fascinating and absorbing, described in illustrative detail. The whole section where Dantes is imprisoned sets the scene so well. But then Dumas just seems to take his foot off the gas and the next 10,000 pages limp past in such slow, over egged detail that the whole book just becomes an endurance. Knowing that his revenge must come does keep you reading, but by the time it does the initial injustice seems so long ago that it doesn't seem to matter any more and your mind will instead have wandered onto what you'll be having for dinner tomorrow. Cut this book down by at least half and it might do itself justice.
on 20 April 2015
I loved this story as a child (I am 62) and I have to admit I am still as enthralled by this as I was then.. It was a hardback copy in my schools` library and this one I had to fork out the very princely sum of.. wait for it!!!!! 49p OUCH!! 49P For one of the greatest prison break stories ever told, I FULLY recommend this ebook!!