5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant wee hen!
Published on 8 Nov 2012 by Best Crime Books

3.0 out of 5 stars A good start, aye
We know Glasgow has its grim side. There are plenty of crime novels around which paint a picture of a city under siege. So what does Anna Smith bring to the table?
Published on 14 Jun 2011 by J. Wise

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant wee hen!, 8 Nov 2012
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I keep getting told by FB followers that I MUST read Anna Smith and that her books are brilliant. Sadly, my to read list is stupidly long which means authors whose books I have on my Kindle, can sometimes sit there `undiscovered' for months! Anna Smith is one such author. What an idiot I felt once I'd finished this book, her debut novel. As soon as I was finished, I immediately downloaded her second book, and have her third release firmly in the calendar (31st Jan 2013 for anybody interested!).

The synopsis sounded great before I had even started the book, but once I got going I was in for a treat. It's Glasgow in the 1990s and when the body of a young girl washes up on a beach, people don't pay much attention. It's just another dead junkie, except the media gets hold of the fact that the victim Tracey Eadie was just 14 years old and was meant to be in the safety of a children's home. The first few chapters had me hooked and from then on, things got put on the back burner (such as dinner!).

The main character in this book is the journalist Rosie Gilmour. Rosie is certainly not whiter than white, but comes across as a little bit vulnerable too. One of the things that struck me about this book is the language, and I don't mean swearing. My husband family are from Glasgow so I am very well adjusted to the way they talk and their accent. Anna Smith manages to get across the accent and the way in which the Glaswegians talk, which translates on paper (if that makes sense?!?). In my opinion it gives the writing a real edge and you get a real feel for the way they speak which I really loved.

The plot was what really kept me gripped, and the shocking part about it, is that it is 100% believable. It was gritty and particularly dark in places, covering subjects that won't be everybody's cup of tea but done with sheer brilliance. I am now obsessed with finding out what Rosie does in the future (yippee for book 2) and thought that she was such a solid character. All in this entire book had me totally and utterly enthralled from start to finish. It's already been recommended to all my friends and family, and now I'm recommending it to you lot too.

Don't put it off a moment longer and grab yourself as copy, you'll love it!

3.0 out of 5 stars A good start, aye, 14 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Dead Won't Sleep (Hardcover)
A seasoned hack's-eye view is the answer. Journalist Rosie walks the walk with a believable quantity of grit in her handbag, balanced by a fair amount of emotional baggage. This comes out in her investigations leading to a cover-up of vile doings by rotten rozzers. Along the way she trawls the sadder sections of Glasgow's underclass and tangles with some particularly nasty villains. The menace mounts nicely and highlights the very real dangers journalists face as they earn a crust exposing crime, corruption and hypocrisy on our behalf, with precious little thanks or recognition except being kept in a job. And even that's not guaranteed these days.
The plot is solid and rings not just plausible but highly likely. If I've a complaint it's that her characters could use a little sanding down. In places they act and speak and a shade too much as you'd expect them to act, but it doesn't impede progress or pace. I got the feeling the book had greater potential. Exploring more the depths and darkness of the subject matter would have taken it up another notch. I hark on about the late, great Derek Raymond but he showed how far a crime novel can be pushed in this respect.
That said, this is a sound debut, a good read. A swift follow-up and Anna Swift will soon be landing punches on the Scandinavians.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting debut, 16 Nov 2013
I liked the fact that this was a crime novel where the heroine was not a detective but a reporter. It was also an interesting style where you knew what had happened and who was responsible right from the beginning. I wasn't' totally convinced that Rosie would have stumbled across two such huge stories at the same time. Generally, however, I was impressed and enjoyed it. I noted that it is compared to Martine Cole which concerned me as I always felt Cole was terribly overrated, although admittedly very successful,and I certainly enjoyed this more

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic read, 10 Sep 2013
Wish I had read this book first as I had already read Anna Smiths other Two books which were follow ups to this one ,this certainly did not disappoint .Anyone looking for a trilogy please start with this book .an amazing and talented writer !!!,

3.0 out of 5 stars New author to me, 19 Aug 2013
Lainy (Bonnie Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dead Won't Sleep (Paperback)
This story starts off with a dead body, 3 cops and a boat. From the beginning we know who committed the crime and what they plan to do. Several months pass and a series of events gives Rosie, a reporter the chance to do a story that will rock the community, boost her career and expose some very influential members of the community. What follows is a fast paced downward spiral for Rosie and the body count starts to increase.

I went for this as it was compared to Martina Cole, this I have to say, in my opinion, is completely wrong. Martina Cole has a particular style of writing and whilst this does cover some dark and seedy parts of Glasgow with corruption, Cole's is in England and very different. I couldn't make a link other than there was crime by both authors and if you pick this up expecting Cole standards you will be very disappointed. That said the author does write a good tale and it is worth checking out.

The story covers prostitutes, murder, sex and exploitation of children and Rosie's issues with relationships. At times I felt there was too much being covered within the one story and maybe one or two key parts could have been dealt with in another book. Despite this the book was a good wee read but I don't think I will be running out to snap up the others. I would have liked to have read much more about the city and things key to the story being set in Glasgow. I think maybe this is an author to visit again in a few months, 3/5 for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Fantastic, 4 Oct 2013
This author was recommended to me by an old friend and have to say am amazed at how good it is could not put it down

5.0 out of 5 stars Very very good, 18 Oct 2013
This is the first book I have read of Anna's. . It won't be the last!
Very interesting story about a newspaper reporter who investigates a child sex abuse ring and corrupt police officers. I couldn't put this book down and enjoyed her ups, downs and danger she finds herself in.
It's well written, good story line and a really likeable main character.
My only criticism is the ending , which to me was a little far fetched and I found myself asking "hmmmm, now would he really have been there at that time"?
Overall though, an enjoyable book and I'm just about to download her other book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent read, 27 April 2014
All in all a good read with a sub plot woven in for good measure, which then linked nicely to the main story.

You'd like to think that this book is completely far fetched and that people who are supposedly trusted and are in high positions within society wouldn't be involved in events such as the ones written about here, but unfortunately in real life, we see and hear of stories every single day of corruption and misuse of power. Don't get me wrong, there are still a few bits where I thought "hmmm'" but overall the story came along as believeable, as did the characters.

I was slightly disappointed by the ending, I wanted it to be happier than it was but that's just a personal opinion, and I see there are other books with Rosie as the main character so maybe I'll get that ending in one of the other novels :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars re read. and still as good., 9 Feb 2014
I read this book a few years ago, then bought it again for my kindle so I have just Re-read it. Just as good the 2nd time around.

Rosie Gilmour, tabloid journalist and crusader for justice, -- What a great character I liked Rosie right from the start, Gut's and determination with a vulnerable side to her.

What will the future hold for Rosie... I guess I'll have to read the next one to find out.
I will certainly be reading more from Anna Smith, this author just seems to be able to grab your attention right from the first page, and keeps your attention all the way through the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed this book, a good read, 26 Aug 2013
Have just discovered this author, and am enjoying her stories very much. This is the first one that I have read of hers.