4.0 out of 5 stars A definite change for Avenged Sevenfold
Avenged Sevenfold's influence passed through my music taste a few years ago, but still I find myself intrigued whenever they bring out new material, so, around once a year I still put a new Avenged Sevenfold on the speakers and see whats new.

Published 16 months ago by Smatch

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, just not great
Like many other people have already mentioned, this album sounds more like a mis-matched collection of tributes to their heroes, rather than a single piece of work by the band.

Published 15 months ago by thetincanman

4.0 out of 5 stars A definite change for Avenged Sevenfold, 30 Aug 2013
Smatch (South West) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)

The first notable thing is that this is the first album where Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan's influence is no where; he was such a huge influence on the music you can hear that loss of input. I think it was remarkable that the band carried on after such a massive loss, both musically and emotionally. They did, and this album once again marks another change in their musical style.

I wasn't that impressed when hearing the single for the first time as it didn't feel like it was painting the right picture for the album; it was painfully simple, not very dynamic and just very formulaic. After giving the whole album a listen it was clear there was much more to it than the single promised.

It opens with 'Shepherd of Fire'. A very dark, moody baritone brass intro mirroring the chords and a thudding drum riff. This song sets the tone for the rest of the album and reveals straight away how much this album is influenced by previous legendary metal bands.

After 'Hail to the King' comes 'Doing Time', probably one of the weakest on the album, it really is quite forgettable, even a stylish Slash/Dimebag hybrid of a solo can't really save it.

'This Means War' is unashamedly a direct descendant of Metallica's 'Sad But True', from every element possible: drum, guitar and lyrical timing. Thats not to say it isn't an enjoyable song, and a couple of underlying guitar harmonies do colour the song nicely and the solo is not a Hammett rip-off at least.

'Requiem' is a slow plodder of a song and leads smoothly from 'War' and presents the first full wah solo Synyster Gates has done I think. The lyrics are are as epic as the semi-ridiculous Latin chanting that opens the song, but again I think it ties together as a good song.

'Crimson Day' takes a cue from James Hetfield's clean guitar tone from 'The Black Album' and is a soft ballad. I actually enjoy Shadows' voice when harsh and loud but it isn't versatile enough here to give anything but a rather flat dimension to a softer song like this, and he has to rely on some vocal layering to thicken it up a bit.

Too many elements close to the end of 'Heretic' are extremely similar to the verse from 'Buried Alive' from previous album 'Nightmare', some of it is almost note-for-note, especially the harmonious guitar leading up to the solo, which is actually a good one: it reminds me of a Paul Gilbert solo actually; slightly more raw but melodic yet technical with a very iron maiden-like harmony to close it out. One of the better solos for me.

'Coming Home', again has a very prominent maiden influence, the verse especially. And its full of solos. Its a good fast song.

'Planets' exhibits simple thudding drums, with a trombone again underlining the chorded intro and later in the song (its actually a bit James Bond-like in places), its quite a dark sounding opening riff and typical of this album the opening chords are translated into muted thuds for the verse.

'Acid Rain' is doubtless the most surprising song on the album. Avenged Sevenfold have attempted ballads before, but none as good as this; with a piano/strings intro which is threaded throughout. Its waltz-like (the timing is in 3/4) and the tone in Shadows' voice is surprisingly impressive in all aspects, notably in in the chorus.
This song sounds like a ballad Guns n' Roses could have written if they were in original dominant form today, which is not a knock in any way as it has a definite originality and is, for me the song I'll most likely play again over the next couple of days.

Being a guitarist myself I should talk about Brian Haner's (Synyster Gates') solos; they are radically different from anything he's done before, visceral in places, from a classic tapping Van Halen influence to very bluesy vibrato reminding you of early Guns n' Roses Slash, and still with a big lean towards the raw leads of Dimebag. And then of course the classic Avenged Sevenfold harmonies. That all being said, his solos still retain the uniqueness that stands him apart from the majority of modern rock/metal guitaristgs working today.

Its a stripped back album, with clear influences of eighties and nineties metal throughout, but not produced in a way that inspires a very raw feeling in my opinion, it may well be a little too over produced, it doesn't really have that grit that Metallica's 'The Black Album' had.
I think that even though a little derivative at times it isn't a bad a thing that their influences are so discernible either, because they mostly pull it off. I enjoyed the album, but there is nothing groundbreaking to be found here. It makes you wonder if the band are ever going to stop changing their sound, or whether they'll settle on this and refine. I'll be ready for the next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hail To The King, 17 Oct 2013
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)
Excellent album I would definitely recommend it to anyone. Very pleased to get it so quickly.
Hail to Avenged Sevenfold!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, just not great, 8 Sep 2013
thetincanman (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hail to the King (MP3 Download)

When you compare this album to their previous output, I'm sorry to say (in my opinion), it doesn't come close. No tracks really jumped out of the speakers and gripped me, and after 3 or 4 more plays of the album, I still feel the same way.

Having said that, it's not offensively bad, it's just missing the edge & hooks of previous releases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hail To The King, 6 Sep 2013
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)
This album is a step in a different direction for Avenged Sevenfold, especially without the Rev's unique song-writing style. As a fan of 80's/90's metal, I absolutely love this album. It is great music to put on just to rock out, or as background music. I'm not sure if the new songs will bring as great a reaction live as their old music, as the change in direction has polarised a lot of fans. It is admittedly a very stripped back album, but it's simplicity is one of the reasons I enjoy listening to it so much. The influence of Metallica, as well as Iron Maiden, is more evident here than on their previous albums, which seemed to draw more inspiration from bands such as Pantera. As a bass player, I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed playing along to this album, and I am sure that any musician would really enjoy doing this too. Thanks to Amazon, I managed to buy this album for £6 on a one-day offer, so thank you very much for fantastic value- this will be in my CD player for a very long time!

3.0 out of 5 stars AX7: The Tribute Album, 1 Sep 2013
This review is from: Hail to the King (MP3 Download)
I guess I should say from the beginning that I like this album. It is 'solid' across the board, and certainly has enough going on to be interesting and invite repeat listens. Nonetheless, as a number of other reviewers have noted, both here and in magazines, Avenged Sevenfold here wear their influences on their sleeves, and so strongly do these influences emerge, there is the unavoidable feeling that the band have lost their own sense of identity. It is difficult not to listen to the tracks on offer and not find yourself thinking of them as each paying tribute a band formative for AX7, song titles moving aside for the thought of 'ah, this must be the Maiden Song' or 'hmm - sounds a bit like Sad but True, must be the Metallica song'. Overall a listenable album, but rarely offering anything fresh.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great album, if you liked early nineties rock, 16 Aug 2014
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)
A great album, if you liked early nineties rock: some of it sounds so like Meallica's black album, you'll think it's them, and there's some Megadeth-a-like in there too. I couldn't stop playing it for the first couple of weeks. Recording quality is great too, unlike Metallica's most recent offerings, which i have only listened to once because of the woeful sound.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as "Nightmare", 9 Oct 2013
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)
Firstly, I like this album. However, it's just not a punchy as "Nightmare" or "City of Evil" which are fantastic. Perhaps it was a tall order to follow these great albums. In addition, on some of the songs the vocals is just too low (or am I going deaf?). No probelm with the previous albums.
"Hail to the King" as the title track also isn't as strong as I'd hoped for.
So overall it's a good album, but I expected better unfortunately.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hail to The King, 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)
Being a massive AX7 fan I waited with anticipation for this release. However, I'm rather disappointed to say its just ok. Not a patch on much of their earlier stuff, and quite 'lacking' in anything that really reaches out and grabs you. Still sticking with though, but I have to admit that its not really growing on me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hail to the King - a great album, 13 Oct 2014
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)
I'm new to Avenged Sevenfold, so I know nothing of their earlier works (my loss I'm beginning to think), but 'Hail to the King' is simply one of the best albums I've bought this year. You can easily see the influence of greats as Guns N' Roses, Metallica etc. But this doesn't really matter because it just works and the tracks are classy well produced numbers. Listen to the quality of the guitar playing. This is the sort of stuff that would give Slash a run for his money, and I suspect perhaps even best him. The title track 'Hail to the King' blew me away. It's so addictive that I've had it on repeat play with the volume on '11'. A genuine pleasure to discover a band that has rekindled feelings of the raw 'wow' factor I used to get in my teens/twenties. If you area fan of late 80s/early 90s style hard rock, buy this album, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. Not one to miss to show the bands' versatility., 17 Oct 2014
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)
With reverence to the Rev, the new lad does a stirling job. This album has a more classic rock 4/4 feel, as the band first stated. There are obvious influences on each track, namely Guns and Roses, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath etc. and a few are very home-grown A7X, even a nod back to the early days (Trumpet). Brilliant. Syn shows his amazing versatility on each track, as does the new drummer - better than Fortnoy and more palatable (less ego). Both I and my daughter loved every single track, so there's 2 generations happy. I won't name track by track, find out yourself. Worth the money absolutely.

Hail to the King