Style Name: GO 5000 EU - 5 inch|Change

on 15 April 2015
I purchased this unit to replace aging Garmin units. My car has an inbuilt TomTom unit so I have got used to the TomTom system, however the Go 6000 has a different system but nonetheless the mapping and speed of use are excellent. With lifetime maps it represents very good value and hopefully will do so well into the future.
on 27 August 2015
I have updated from a TomTom XL after a lot of deliberation. I read many of the reviews on Amazon and thought this might be a bit of a gamble. I was wrong. This was a great buy albeit expensive. The screen size is excellent and the processing speed is great - no delays as with the XL which would sometimes cause you to take a wrong turn and then tell you to turn around. Satellite signal reception appears to be very good and the traffic information is good.
The way it operates took a little getting used to as it differs from the XL but I have had that for a fair few years. Route planning and finding points of interest is still a little problematic.
I love the screen size - so much better than the XL.
The one downside is the apparent inability to download a number of the places of interest such as National Trust premises. I am still looking into how I can get around this without having to do all the work entering individual addresses myself!!
on 9 November 2013
I tested one TomTom Go 6000 for a whole month when I was driving through Europe. 3D buildings are only in UK and not in all regions. Either way, is nothing like in reality... different shapes. The screen size is good in case that you are far away from it. If you have a small car, you will be sorry.
Most of the previous model's features were deleted.

As an overall, this is the WORSE TomTom that I had till now. And I had more than 7 models.

I was lucky that my FREE Traffic did not work either and I manage to return it even if was after 30 days.
on 11 March 2015
I bought this after damaging my previous TomTom.
Positives - the chip picks up the signal more rapidly and responds better than previous products
- pre-programmed POIs are more comprehensive for UK and France
Negatives
- Most additional features on previous top of the range products are not available (Weather, Trip Advisor,
add your own POI etc)
SERIOUS PROBLEM -
The updates are not accurate and the company will not take action when notified of a problem. You might waste hours in traffic jams as a result.
Example - Pont Mathilde in Rouen, France closed for reconstruction for two years but never shown in updates. Note that free products such as Google Maps and Navfree (now renamed as Navmii) apps were updated accurately at this time. I contacted TomTom customer service who took no action apart from saying they had referred my comments to the relevant team. I contacted them three months later when the problem persisted and asked why other free products were up to date but paid-for TomTom not. I told them to Google the location and look on Youtube for the numerous postings to confirm my information and give their customers the service they had paid for.
They thanked me for my understanding - but the point was I didn't understand why TomTom was not accurate and would not/could not update - and I DID NOT UNDERSTAND.
TomTom is obviously a dysfunctional organisation with plenty of corporate speak in its customer care - the problem is, it doesn't care.
Oh - Pont Mathilde is now open again!
on 31 October 2014
Good when it works - which is rarely. Connection to TomTom live traffic service is extremely unreliable, often disappearing for an hour or more. At first I thought this might just be an intermittent glitch, but it happens on more than 50% of long journeys. On a recent journey from Cambridgeshire to Bristol it lost connection about 5 mins into the journey and it never came back. Normally I would go cross-country for this route, but I thought I'd give the TomTom a chance to find the fastest route - it chose M1, M25, M4 with several stand-still jams along the way. The TomTom was completely clueless about these jams. The trip took me over 30 mins more than my regular route.

That's just one example - it has taken me into a half-hour jam on the new Severn bridge when it would have been much quicker to use the old bridge or take the route via Gloucester. I paid extra for Live Traffic services - which I am not getting. Without it, this satnav is no more use than the app on my phone which cost £1. The description says "TomTom Traffic always connected" - yeah, right.

Check out the attached photo - see the speed indicator? Nope - it's not shown because the car is at a complete standstill. See the jam on the map? Nope - the Tomtom hasn't a clue. That's because of the more-or-less permanent 'X' showing that there is no connection to TomTom Traffic. Google maps on my phone did show this jam (and the others).

There are a bunch of other niggles but the lack of live traffic info is by far the worst. TomTom have been in this game for years - there's no excuse for such poor hardware. I have nearly chucked it out of the window a few times. Very disappointed indeed.
on 18 October 2014
TomTom's latest SatNav seems to have been improved in terms of it's hardware but the software lacks many of the features that even previous versions from the same product line (the Go Series) had.

The most important thing that is missing (from my point of view) is the ability to install 3rd party POIs (Points Of Interest). There are the usual list of POI's that seem to come with all TomTom devices but that's it. You can choose to 'Search Places Online' but that seems to be mostly a way to find businesses, restaurants and coffee-shops.

Also missing is the ability to change the colour scheme to any but the few built in schemes and the ability to change the location indicator from the standard arrowhead. There is no way to backup your 'My Places' (the renamed 'Favourites' which is now on the second menu page).

The user interface has been completely redesigned and the menu system has to be relearned, for users that are familiar with previous devices. My most used menu item, My Places, has been moved to the second page of the menu and that now includes the 'Home' Location. Also, you now have to tap on a small icon in the bottom left corner of the screen to get into the menu, rather than being able to just touch the main part of the map.

TomTom do say that they 'may' introduce some of the missing features at some time in the future. Based on the launch of my previous Go1000 it could well be a year or even more before all of the features are added.

Overall, I am not impressed with this SatNav and would recommend waiting to see what features and redesigns it gets in the future.
on 30 August 2015
I have just linked this TomTom to my account and decided to do the updates only to be told I need a memmory card as there isn't enough room on the satnav to do all of the updates required. Why are they selling a device with no room to update the programs ? Either TomTom need to use a larger internal memmory or supply a micro card in the package. Either way something needs doing with it as straight out of the box it is un-updateable which is just ridiculous.
I have had a response from TomTom who are really having a laugh. They say to choose what maps I use and which country I display 3D buildings in or simply buy a micro memmory card. How about they just sell a usable product in the first place ? I paid for all of Europe and expect the unit to be capable of dealing with updates which this unit is incapable of doing. Either increase the internalmemmory or supply a card as standard which would cost Tomom pennies to do.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 August 2015
Ignoring the criticisms about the lack of smartphone style features, it fulfils its primary purpose of being a sat-nav very well. With lifetime maps and traffic and the bonus of a £50 cashback thrown in, it's pretty much paid for itself already, and I've only had it for two weeks. What's not to like?
on 9 August 2014
I have had one of these devices for about 6 months and here are my thoughts about it:-

Good:
Large screen
Free Map Updates
Fast
Live Traffic updates
Bad:
No Compass
No quick volume adjustment
Can't change colour of traffic delay section. If you wear sunglasses, this becomes invisible.
Lot of wasted space on front screen
Long menu paths to carry out any operations - No quick menu like older models
Battery life.
App:
MyDrive is not a patch on original TomTom Home. If you run on Chrome you get a useless error message. On Internet Explorer the Title banner hides the upload buttons.

Would be useful:
Favourite Trips from front screen - most users will use device for to/from work.

This product does what it says, but apart from the free maps, I feel that it is a retrograde version to prior models.
on 26 July 2014
After a few hours of working properly the machine started to reboot about every 15 seconds and it is not stopping. This is in the middle of our European road trip so this TomTom has left us in pickles. I noticed after some Google search many people had the same problem back in 2011; this did not filter through to the Amazon reviews. TomTom should be ashamed of themselves to release such faulty software. I used to have the American Garmin which always worked well. I will try to return this and buy a Garmin instead.