• Zebra

Format: Audio CDChange

VINE VOICEon 26 September 2013
Never heard of 'em? Neither had I until I listened to Dream Theater's version of "Take Your Fingers from My Hair" [ from Black Clouds & Silver Linings [Special Edition] Disc 2]. Wow, I said to myself ...that's a tune and a half.

For months I had assumed that DT had written it themselves (CD credits are great but not of much use when listening in the car.) Anyhow having checked, I discovered it was by Zebra (that's Zeee-bra by the way not Zeb-ra). "...Fingers ..." is such a monster tune. It's a wee bit accoustic, then the Great Cyclical Riff until all of a sudden Robert Plant meets Geddy Lee in Battle of the Bands. Yup that good.

Luckily for us the good people of Rock Candy have rescued this, Zebra's debut album from the Black Hole of Rock and what a beauty it is. Bits of Zep, a whole lot of Rush, a great cover of Slow Down (The Flamin' Groovies also do a fantastic version of this), not to mention a bit of Yes/Styx on the final track of The La La song (Fact: there's lots of la la's in the chorus.)

Is it a lost classic? I hear you cry. Yes! Perhaps it is the Rock Candy effect but having also recently purchased their re-releases of Montrose, Paris & Detective I can say with some confidence that they can sure find 'em. Not only that but they are currently providing IMHO the BEST rock remastering around. This stuff sounds fantastic, Play Loud.

I commend this CD to the House.
on 14 June 2014
Long out of print album from the 80's, finally resurrected and now with awesome remastered sound, easily the best sounding release out there including the original vinyl, Thank You!