4.0 out of 5 stars A good entry level tablet
The MeMO Pad is a surprisingly good tablet in this price which used to be dominated with models which had iffy displays, slow processors and generally sluggish all round performance. I've been using one on and off for a few weeks, and it's quite impressive overall

Published 9 months ago by Mr Baz

2.0 out of 5 stars The me176cx is a far better buy.
I thought I'd got the right bit of kit but I was wrong. The manual isn't very helpfull as I found with my eventual purchase the 176czar. The micro sd card didn't fit properly and overheated the top corner of the tablet. Checking on the forums this seems an issue on this model. The me176cx is a far better buy.
Published 6 months ago by JS

4.0 out of 5 stars A good entry level tablet, 10 May 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Asus 7 inch ME173X MeMO Pad Tablet (Blue) - (Mediatek MT8125 1.2GHz Processor, 1GB RAM, 16GB Storage, WLAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Android 4.2) (Personal Computers)

The Asus is a swift slap in the face for the old type of tablets in the budget sector, but it's not quite perfect..but still offers an awful lot for a very modest outlay

My quick summary

Pros:
+ Good screen 7" 1280 x 800 IPS (216 ppi) it's sharp clean and good resolution (though not the best in bright light)
+ 1 GB RAM, 16GB ram and Quad core 1.2GHz MediaTek MT8125 decent performance for the price
+ Bluetooth 4.0 and GPS
+ Rear 5mp and front 1.2 mp cameras
+ Stereo sound isn't bad at this price point (above average, fairly clear)
+ Can expand memory with micro SD slot (though slot is exposed no cover)
+ Does fairly well for games at this price (not far off the original Nexus 7)
+ Pretty good battery life about 7-8 hours on average (real world hands on use)

Cons:
- Build is a bit plastic and cheap, screen is more vulnerable to damage than some tablets
- Micro USB port on device "top" odd location and might annoy if you use and charge at the same time
- Camera output is fairly average nothing to get worked up over (not unexpected at this price point)

Please do buy a case for the tablet as with all devices like this the horror stories of tablets left on a chair and cracked screens. A case will certainly help protect it at least somewhat.
Out of the 16GB around 11GB is available for use, and you can simply use a micro SD if you get short on space

In a lot of ways the Asus isn't far off the first generation Nexus 7 (screen is similar and whilst it's not got the gaming performance it's still very respectable overall) Browsing and general use the Asus is quite fast and response. The newer Nexus is a bit of a beast in performance and with an even better screen, so you'll have to weigh up the pros and cons of spending extra on that over this (for the 16GB version it's about £65 more expensive)

But if you're in the sub £100 7" tablet market then this is by far one of the best offerings out there (also a good first tablet buy to dip your toes into the tablet world without putting a big dent in your wallet). Some corners have been cut on build (as expected) but importantly Asus hasn't skimped on decent performance.

Well worth looking at a good overall tablet

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic tablet!!, 2 Jan. 2014
The MemoPad HD7 is a breath of fresh air in the crowded Android tablet space. I got it significantly cheaper in a recent supermarket sale, and have found it to be an excellent piece of hardware.

A clear differentiator between Apple and Android devices is battery life, and this is an aspect that is usually neglected or completely ignored by Android product designers. I have come across very few Android phones or tablets that can get through a full day of constant use without a top-up charge (or two, or three!!). The MemoPad is breathtaking in this respect - I seem to get around 10-12 hours of continuous use after an overnight charge. Just a few days ago I watched 5 hours of Netflix (Fringe) and then surfed the 'net for 4 hours more or less continuosly while streaming music to my bluetooth speakers. By nightfall I had 30% of battery left. This is iPad performance, no less, and Asus has to be commended on their choice of the quad-core Mediatek processor manufactured using the new 28nm process that's largely responsible for this battery life.

The tablet is superlative in many other aspects. It packs in Bluetooth 4.0, GPS, front and rear cameras with acceptable image quality, and a plenty sharp 1280 x 800 screen amongst other things. The screen is as sharp and bright as that on my Nook HD which has a slightly higher resolution (1440 x 900) - I really can't see a difference. Everything works, boot time seems to be 5-6 seconds with wifi connected immediately, and it's fast enough for video streaming or BBC iPlayer without buffering. Wireless signal puckup is very good and I have had no connection issues whatsoever. The microSD card slot means I can keep my entire music collection on the device, a huge plus over the Nexus 7. Nexus lovers will crow about it's USB OTG functionality, but seriously do you want to be seen to be packing a USB memory stick at the end of a short cable tethered to your tablet just for the benefit of listening to a few songs?? Same goes for all the Apple fanbois!

The changes Asus have made to the generic Jellybean skin are subtle and actually quite useful - especially the Quick Apps feature which lets you bring up say your calculator or calendar while in the middle of something else. It is definitely not the monstrosity that Samsung's TouchWiz is!!

All in all, this is a tablet which I find very easy to live with. I will shortly be listing my Ipad Mini on ebay.

If you're thinking of buying this, don't - JUST BUY IT!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Asus Memo Pad 173X, 17 Jan. 2014
Here's my thoughts on the Asus MeMo pad. It's a recent purchase so I can't comment on how this machine performs over the long term, but so far I am impressed.

The good:

For this price range, the build quality is brilliant. In fact, for any price range the materials used here are top-notch. It's sturdy, and it's also light - weighs about 50g more than iPad Mini.

Design is very good indeed. If you find the Samsung Galaxy tablet in the same price bracket as this feels a bit plasticky, then this may be a better option. No buttons on the screen, and the on/ off plus volume slider are cleverly tucked away at the side - but they face down the way so there's no chance of accidentally deploying them. The backing is matte plastic, not that slightly sweaty resin that a lot of devices had a couple of years ago.

For this price you'd maybe expect everything to be merely adequate but most stuff surprisingly good. The onboard loudspeaker is adequate. Doesn't compare to the one on the Moto G phone in the way it projects, but it does the job. (MP3 using headphones is excellent on this tablet, however.) The 5mp camera is better than I expected, and it also has a front facing 1mp camera for those all-important selfies. Pictures on the 1mp camera do look slightly odd, although that may just be my face, or the software. Or both.

The tablet's 16gb internal memory is fine, but you can use Micro SD to up the memory. I just used an old phone one that was kicking around and so now have 24gb in total.

Other stuff:

The battery lasts a fair old while. Unlike with my phone I keep wifi on the tablet on all the time, and it stands up well.

The plug does look a bit odd out of the box. Another reviewer said they got a foreign plug, which I can understand. But it's just a clever design - you extend the earth pin, and bingo - it's a UK plug after all.

OS - my tablet got an update as soon as I switched it on. Was hoping for KitKat but sadly it was just Jelly Bean. Not that this makes much of a difference in terms of what you can actually do with the thing. Unforked Android though - regardless of whether you're on 4.2 or 4.4 - is beginning to look a bit old fashioned. All those app icons - I mean, I've only had the Asus tablet a short while and there are now 59 of them. It might have looked cool back in 2007 to have all those annoying little boxes on the screen, but in 2014 it's about as much fun as looking at rows of Windows folders.

Overall:

Recommended! If you're in the market for an entry-level tablet (in terms of price) the Asus MeMo is definitely a worthy option. In terms of its speed and function, it's more than entry-level though. It's a fully-fledged tablet. Check it out in a shop and compare it to the Samsung and Kindle Fire machines with similar spec. For me, this one has the edge.

Update 31/3/2014

I've been using the Asus MeMO Pad for over 2 months now and it's a joy to use. The battery life is excellent, and there's little to fault here. One thing that does happen is that when you're typing emails the space bar is to close to the home button and you very often find yourself accidentally exiting the email app. It saves your draft though so it's not too bad but definitely a design oversight. Other thing that I've noticed is the volume doesn't go quite as high as I'd like. I listen to a lot of quiet music though so maybe depends on your listening tastes.

Overall - I am delighted with this purchase, it's a great machine for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 5 Dec. 2013
Does what it says it would. Battery life expectancy is exactly as described. Would recommend this over Kindle or i-Pad if you don't want to be locked into their products and if you can 't afford the Nexus.

5.0 out of 5 stars best at this price point, 31 May 2014
Corrinpowers (england) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
There are so many tablets about this price,most are dodgy rubbish.This is a decent make and is Asus's version of the first gen Nexus.It is a little bit better than the first Nexus and has a camera and SD card slot.It's a very impressive tablet in every way.Fast,well built, great screen, nice Asus android skin and dual band WiFi.
Its got a lovely floating weather app on the home screen that is set to your location and excellent email app too.The best thing in many ways is it is so simple to root.Download framaroot and follow a couple of onscreen prompts and your rooted.So easy and you can then remove any preinstalled apps you don't need,this will speed up the tablet,though its fast and fluid to begin with.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent 7inch Tab, 23 May 2014
Colin "artfully-vague" (Tewkesbury, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this tab as It was reduced in price and I had vouchers to use up. I really haven't regretted the choice. It's quick, easy to use and superb for reading Kindle books and browsing the internet, email etc. I even have a separate keyboard and an app that allows me to keep writing on the move. The downside is the screen is so highly reflective it's almost impossible to use in bright light especially if the light is behind you. It is a bit glitchy now and then when the small grey indicator that wi-fi is either on or off won't disappear from the middle of the screen. It doesn't have the highest res screen either but it's perfectly adequate for watching YouTube or other films. The better buy is the Nexus 7 tab if you can afford it as this can be used as a monitor for Canon DSLR cameras which extends its use. The Asus doesn't support this app. All in all and excellent buy but think about what you need a 7 inch tab for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, convenient and excellent value., 2 Jun. 2014
This is an excellent tablet, well worth the price tag. I purchased it for writing and it can hold my notes, references and music easily letting me write to my hearts content. The battery life is excellent and charges remarkably quickly. Can be a little slow when switching between programs but nothing more than few seconds delay at worst. Would recommend to others looking for a small and dependable tablet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Asus 7'' Memo Pad Tablet, 31 Jan. 2014
This is my first Tablet. It has exceeded my expectations. I can access the web very quickly. It's portable and light weight. Very easy to use for the computer novice. The sound quality is very good. The HD screen is very sharp.This is a great budget buy Tablet. I use it for catchup TV, and Radio, and a e reader, Notebook,and a great Camera front and back.

2.0 out of 5 stars The me176cx is a far better buy., 31 Aug. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value for money - Top of the cheaps!, 15 Sept. 2014
Wotsut (Northern England) - See all my reviews
I just bought this to replace an identical one I just lost. (I'd have liked to upgrade to the ME176CX as it has a higher android version, but I can't find one of those with the higher res camera that comes with the 16GB version HD ME173X. ) The camera and video are very good on this 173X - wide angle and very acceptable results , good in low light, and there's a lower res front facing that still takes very adequate selfies. Also does skype very well on the sofa at home with my fast broadband, and
The video files are very large however, so offload frequently.
The 16GB internal HD is more than enough - 8GB would have been OK, as used with a 32 GB microsdhc most of the larger files can be transferred to that.
Lightweight & responsive, the screen is good and sharp especially with a matt anti-refelective screen protector, and that's what makes this such excellent value for money.
It comes with quite a bit of useful software, including battery-saving & task-killer aps , though of course it only becomes really useful when you've downloaded loads of aps (Android has a better range of free aps than Ipad)
Battery life is better than most of these cheaper range tablets and adequate for a longish trip. Charges whenever attached to a USB port or the mains charger included.
For best results I would say get a good headset for use on noisier public transport, and one of those tiny compact bluetooth speakers if a louder sound is required (say in a car or a busy room). However I watch TV in the kitchen with it and skype in a group without extra amplification.
If you've never had an android before, there's a learning curve of course to realise the full potential. Other top tip is to get or make a lightweight but rigid case for it, as tablets are slippy-droppy, and use some sort of password protection (I didn't and I lost it - luckily I did not use it for anything involving money). Use free antivirus - but unfortunately this will slow down usage sometimes.