5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic tablet!!
The MemoPad HD7 is a breath of fresh air in the crowded Android tablet space. I got it significantly cheaper in a recent supermarket sale, and have found it to be an excellent piece of hardware.

Published 6 months ago by DIY fanatic

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for the price if screen didn't crack.
Oh dear. We have 2 of these and screen has cracked on both in different place. Neither was dropped. Maybe left in sunlight but shouldn't have cracked. Also game performance is very mediocre. Very impressed with this tablet which is very good for this price (100 pounds). The screen has excellent brightness and colours and its so much nicer than browsing on a phone...
Published 2 months ago by Mr. P. M. Tasker

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic tablet!!, 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: Asus 7 inch ME173X MeMO Pad Tablet (Blue) - (Mediatek MT8125 1.2GHz Processor, 1GB RAM, 16GB Storage, WLAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Android 4.2) (Personal Computers)

A clear differentiator between Apple and Android devices is battery life, and this is an aspect that is usually neglected or completely ignored by Android product designers. I have come across very few Android phones or tablets that can get through a full day of constant use without a top-up charge (or two, or three!!). The MemoPad is breathtaking in this respect - I seem to get around 10-12 hours of continuous use after an overnight charge. Just a few days ago I watched 5 hours of Netflix (Fringe) and then surfed the 'net for 4 hours more or less continuosly while streaming music to my bluetooth speakers. By nightfall I had 30% of battery left. This is iPad performance, no less, and Asus has to be commended on their choice of the quad-core Mediatek processor manufactured using the new 28nm process that's largely responsible for this battery life.

The tablet is superlative in many other aspects. It packs in Bluetooth 4.0, GPS, front and rear cameras with acceptable image quality, and a plenty sharp 1280 x 800 screen amongst other things. The screen is as sharp and bright as that on my Nook HD which has a slightly higher resolution (1440 x 900) - I really can't see a difference. Everything works, boot time seems to be 5-6 seconds with wifi connected immediately, and it's fast enough for video streaming or BBC iPlayer without buffering. Wireless signal puckup is very good and I have had no connection issues whatsoever. The microSD card slot means I can keep my entire music collection on the device, a huge plus over the Nexus 7. Nexus lovers will crow about it's USB OTG functionality, but seriously do you want to be seen to be packing a USB memory stick at the end of a short cable tethered to your tablet just for the benefit of listening to a few songs?? Same goes for all the Apple fanbois!

The changes Asus have made to the generic Jellybean skin are subtle and actually quite useful - especially the Quick Apps feature which lets you bring up say your calculator or calendar while in the middle of something else. It is definitely not the monstrosity that Samsung's TouchWiz is!!

All in all, this is a tablet which I find very easy to live with. I will shortly be listing my Ipad Mini on ebay.

If you're thinking of buying this, don't - JUST BUY IT!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Asus Memo Pad 173X, 17 Jan 2014
Here's my thoughts on the Asus MeMo pad. It's a recent purchase so I can't comment on how this machine performs over the long term, but so far I am impressed.

The good:

For this price range, the build quality is brilliant. In fact, for any price range the materials used here are top-notch. It's sturdy, and it's also light - weighs about 50g more than iPad Mini.

Design is very good indeed. If you find the Samsung Galaxy tablet in the same price bracket as this feels a bit plasticky, then this may be a better option. No buttons on the screen, and the on/ off plus volume slider are cleverly tucked away at the side - but they face down the way so there's no chance of accidentally deploying them. The backing is matte plastic, not that slightly sweaty resin that a lot of devices had a couple of years ago.

For this price you'd maybe expect everything to be merely adequate but most stuff surprisingly good. The onboard loudspeaker is adequate. Doesn't compare to the one on the Moto G phone in the way it projects, but it does the job. (MP3 using headphones is excellent on this tablet, however.) The 5mp camera is better than I expected, and it also has a front facing 1mp camera for those all-important selfies. Pictures on the 1mp camera do look slightly odd, although that may just be my face, or the software. Or both.

The tablet's 16gb internal memory is fine, but you can use Micro SD to up the memory. I just used an old phone one that was kicking around and so now have 24gb in total.

Other stuff:

The battery lasts a fair old while. Unlike with my phone I keep wifi on the tablet on all the time, and it stands up well.

The plug does look a bit odd out of the box. Another reviewer said they got a foreign plug, which I can understand. But it's just a clever design - you extend the earth pin, and bingo - it's a UK plug after all.

OS - my tablet got an update as soon as I switched it on. Was hoping for KitKat but sadly it was just Jelly Bean. Not that this makes much of a difference in terms of what you can actually do with the thing. Unforked Android though - regardless of whether you're on 4.2 or 4.4 - is beginning to look a bit old fashioned. All those app icons - I mean, I've only had the Asus tablet a short while and there are now 59 of them. It might have looked cool back in 2007 to have all those annoying little boxes on the screen, but in 2014 it's about as much fun as looking at rows of Windows folders.

Overall:

Recommended! If you're in the market for an entry-level tablet (in terms of price) the Asus MeMo is definitely a worthy option. In terms of its speed and function, it's more than entry-level though. It's a fully-fledged tablet. Check it out in a shop and compare it to the Samsung and Kindle Fire machines with similar spec. For me, this one has the edge.

Update 31/3/2014

I've been using the Asus MeMO Pad for over 2 months now and it's a joy to use. The battery life is excellent, and there's little to fault here. One thing that does happen is that when you're typing emails the space bar is to close to the home button and you very often find yourself accidentally exiting the email app. It saves your draft though so it's not too bad but definitely a design oversight. Other thing that I've noticed is the volume doesn't go quite as high as I'd like. I listen to a lot of quiet music though so maybe depends on your listening tastes.

Overall - I am delighted with this purchase, it's a great machine for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 5 Dec 2013
Does what it says it would. Battery life expectancy is exactly as described. Would recommend this over Kindle or i-Pad if you don't want to be locked into their products and if you can 't afford the Nexus.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good entry level tablet, 10 May 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
The MeMO Pad is a surprisingly good tablet in this price which used to be dominated with models which had iffy displays, slow processors and generally sluggish all round performance. I've been using one on and off for a few weeks, and it's quite impressive overall

The Asus is a swift slap in the face for the old type of tablets in the budget sector, but it's not quite perfect..but still offers an awful lot for a very modest outlay

My quick summary

Pros:
+ Good screen 7" 1280 x 800 IPS (216 ppi) it's sharp clean and good resolution (though not the best in bright light)
+ 1 GB RAM, 16GB ram and Quad core 1.2GHz MediaTek MT8125 decent performance for the price
+ Bluetooth 4.0 and GPS
+ Rear 5mp and front 1.2 mp cameras
+ Stereo sound isn't bad at this price point (above average, fairly clear)
+ Can expand memory with micro SD slot (though slot is exposed no cover)
+ Does fairly well for games at this price (not far off the original Nexus 7)
+ Pretty good battery life about 7-8 hours on average (real world hands on use)

Cons:
- Build is a bit plastic and cheap, screen is more vulnerable to damage than some tablets
- Micro USB port on device "top" odd location and might annoy if you use and charge at the same time
- Camera output is fairly average nothing to get worked up over (not unexpected at this price point)

Please do buy a case for the tablet as with all devices like this the horror stories of tablets left on a chair and cracked screens. A case will certainly help protect it at least somewhat.
Out of the 16GB around 11GB is available for use, and you can simply use a micro SD if you get short on space

In a lot of ways the Asus isn't far off the first generation Nexus 7 (screen is similar and whilst it's not got the gaming performance it's still very respectable overall) Browsing and general use the Asus is quite fast and response. The newer Nexus is a bit of a beast in performance and with an even better screen, so you'll have to weigh up the pros and cons of spending extra on that over this (for the 16GB version it's about 65 more expensive)

But if you're in the sub 100 7" tablet market then this is by far one of the best offerings out there (also a good first tablet buy to dip your toes into the tablet world without putting a big dent in your wallet). Some corners have been cut on build (as expected) but importantly Asus hasn't skimped on decent performance.

Well worth looking at a good overall tablet

5.0 out of 5 stars Asus 7'' Memo Pad Tablet, 31 Jan 2014
This is my first Tablet. It has exceeded my expectations. I can access the web very quickly. It's portable and light weight. Very easy to use for the computer novice. The sound quality is very good. The HD screen is very sharp.This is a great budget buy Tablet. I use it for catchup TV, and Radio, and a e reader, Notebook,and a great Camera front and back.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent value for money, 10 Jan 2014
This is my first tablet and I am loving it. i have already used lots of the functions as it is easy to use, even for a first-timer like me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Present for me, 19 Jan 2014
I bought one of these for my son at Christmas and was so impressed purchsed this one for myself i absolutely love it and at such a reasonable price

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Happy Christmas, 9 Jan 2014
Bought for my daughter, she loves it, it does everything she wanted plus more. Hasn't put it down since Christmas!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent purchase, 17 Jan 2014
Eileen E (North Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
I brought this recently after my old 10.1" tablet produced a fault. I was concerned that I would find the 7" screen too small but far from it - I actually prefer it as I can hold the Asus in my hand easily. Also it is a far better quality than my old Toshiba. The hd screen is sharp and clear; the style is impressive. Even though it has a 16GB memory it also has a micro sd slot which takes up to a 32GB card enabling a whopping 48GB storage. The sound when watching BBCi player is a little low but fine if you are watching on your own. Very pleased and would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal First Tablet, 15 Mar 2014
This is actually the second tablet I have purchased, the first was about two years ago, and I send it back because the specifications were not as advertised. I needed a tablet to basically carry video and imaging data about to show people, rather than have to carry a laptop. After some research I selected Asus as I have purchased many of their items before, and although their direct customer service is not what it should be, when the products work they seem to work well.

I did not really want to set up a Google account, etc, for the purposes I had in mind, so after initially downloading the manual, and charging the unit, I switched it on to be presented with a very nice looking screen. I have read some reviews where comments have been made about the slightly inferior quality of the screen, compared to the Nexus 7 I presume, but I found it more than pleasing. Some reviews talked about a slow response, but yet again I found it worked as fast as I did, maybe if you are a game player there might be a problem, but not with everyday tasks.

Now came the problem of transferring files from my computer. Not a lot of people seem to comment on this. I though this would be inundated with problems, but yet again, I just connected the USB lead to my computer, re-booted to Windows 7, and I could see a drive dedicated to the tablet, whereupon I could transfer files between the two units. Unfortunately, I very rarely use Windows after becoming hooked on the speed and simplicity of Ubuntu, so I re-booted my system again to see how Ubuntu would cope, as there were only references to Windows within the tablets USB connections. Ubuntu did not want to know, so I had a quick search on-line and soon found the answer. This is what I really like about Ubuntu, you can often find the answer to a problem in a matter of second, unlike Windows, which I have often had to give up on. I entered the following like in Ubuntu's Terminal window, sudo apt-get install mtp-tools mtpfs, and the problem was solved, I could now seen the tablets icon, and thus again was able to transfer files as required.

Next up was the bad sound quality I had read about in some reviews. I don't know what some of these reviewers are expecting, but I found the sound was probably better that the little media player I have which has its own speakers, and cost about 80% of the cost of this tablet. The sound did not distort to my eyes, and yet again I found it quite exceptable for such a relatively inexpensive unit. One always has the option to link to Blue-tooth, etc, to connect a bigger speaker system if required.

All in all I am very pleased with this tablet and would highly recommend it as a first step into this technology, even after only a few days use. Of course once connected to a Wi-fi system it can perform many more tasks, and with a battery life of 10 hours it is good for a days outing.