5.0 out of 5 stars BEST YET!
Published 10 months ago by Dave B (Leeds, UK)

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected more
This is the best album of Tarja so far, but lyrical side is pretty weak. For example, when I heard the Victim of ritual for the first time, I was blown away. But when I read the lyrics, it was a major letdown for me. They were bland and empty, though the music and production was epic. Still is, but after awhile it kind of wears out.

So here we go, musically...
Published 2 months ago by Ivan Jekic

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST YET!, 8 Sep 2013
This review is from: Colours In The Dark (Audio CD)
For me this is Tarja's strongest studio album yet, a great blend of the best of the heaviness of WLB with the wider instrumental range of My Winter Storm. Plus for a studio album the production also has a great "live" tone and vibe ,which is maybe why every track has an impact first time , rather than being one of those albums you "need a few plays to get into".....so roll on a future ACT 2"DVD!!

Just one slight let-down: -On "Act 1" Tarja introduced "Into The Sun" as being "from my next album". That of course was well over a year ago, so maybe the concept for the album has simply evolved and moved on since, anyhow this powerful track has not made it onto the CD at all-even though there was enough disc time left to just tag it on as a bonus track at the end, if so preferred. Nor can I find the "download code" apparently included instead, so we can get it as MP3 ....guess I can wait a bit to see if any "Sun" appears later for me in Amazon's "Cloud"!

Versions -

Amazon tell me I bought the "Deluxe "edition, what they posted me had a "Special Ltd Edition" sticker, my guess is these are in fact one and the same!

If tempted by the extra goodies in the Box Set, just bear in mind on Amazon the T Shirt has had to be a "one size (L) fits all" approach -and be aware there is a VERY long comments thread on this on Amazon USA!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tarjarific!, 11 Sep 2013
This review is from: Colours In The Dark (Audio CD)
Tarja gives us top quality yet again. Great voice, great songs (the single is probably my least favourite), great musicianship and production. Diificult to find anything negative (because there isn't anything!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tarja's best yet, 7 Oct 2013
This review is from: Colours in the Dark (MP3 Download)
This is a stunning album of metal music with Tarja's beautiful voice doing what it does best. This album is her best yet, including with Nightwish in my opinion..

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting New Album, 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: Colours In The Dark (Audio CD)
I was looking forward to the release of this new album as I'd loved the previous two albums, so I pre-ordered it feeling confident that it would be just as good. On first listening to it I was pretty surprised, as to my ears , it was quite different to the others. At first I was quite disappointed, but on listening to it a few more times, I've grown to like it a lot more. Though still not as much as previous albums. My favourite tracks from this album have to be Deliverance & Mystique Voyage. The rest are good, but not WoW.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing CD! Tarja is back!, 5 Dec 2013
This review is from: Colours In The Dark (Audio CD)
This CD is absolutely amazing i love all of the songs. I have already got tickets to see her at rock city, nottingham, UK in February. I had to get this CD because into the sun is one of my favorite songs. THIS IS A MUST HAVE CD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 26 Nov 2013
This review is from: Colours In The Dark (Audio CD)
Tarja branches out into more experimental, vibrant music. Not as heavy as its predecessor 'What Lies Beneath', but far more masterful.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best yet!, 14 Nov 2013
S. Gibson (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Colours In The Dark (Audio CD)
I found this new Tarja offering a little harder to get into than the previous two albums however after a few listens I have to conclude this one takes the best parts of the previous ones and adds to them giving a fuller and more approachable feel.
One of my favourite albums of 2013.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finnish Queen Is Back!, 23 Oct 2013
J.P.Gomes (Lisbon, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Colours In The Dark (Audio CD)
Tarja’s third studio album in the field of rock music surely lives up to its predecessors “My Winter Storm” as well as “What Lies Beneath”. A new set of great rock songs is on the offer, interspersed here and there by softer songs, in absolute consistency with her solo recording history. And all of them backed by that portentous asset she possesses; her wonderful voice!

On the new tracks, I pick out the hit single “Victim of Ritual”, “500 Letters” and “Darkness” as my favourites.

In “Never Enough”, unveiled in the “Act 1” double album, is she addressing the 2005 “Nightwish split”? Either way, from the very onset of her solo career, we were, no doubt, in presence of talent which “Colours In The Dark” simply substantiates.

Mandatory if you’re a fan!

For the Finnish Queen and her latest album, 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Tarja yet, 19 Oct 2013
This review is from: Colours In The Dark (Audio CD)
Best Tarja yet, If you liked Tarja when she was in Nighwish you will love this. Bass & drums very driving & heavy, yet orchestral sections haunting & dreamy, BRILL.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 23 Sep 2013
N. C. Bullen - See all my reviews
This review is from: Colours In The Dark (Audio CD)
Tarja's best release yet, hope this is the direction she's now going to follow.Much rockier than her previous and songs complement her vocal range really well. Highly recommended.