4.0 out of 5 stars I like it!
Having read the other reviews I was expecting total dross but I was pleasantly surprised and I'm pleased to say "I like it!".

I already have the originals up to 15 so there's only a couple of track that I don't think I've heard before, but hey, what would you expect from a Crucial.
The disk does fit well with the rest of the Crucial series and my only...
Published 20 months ago by TopRock

3.0 out of 5 stars Rose Tinted Specs
It's worth it just for the 'Original' unmixed classics as well as the nostalgia for those that are of a certain age, so buy it.

Published 21 months ago by Grumpy Old Man

3.0 out of 5 stars Rose Tinted Specs, 2 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Crucial Electro 4 (Audio CD)

However - the mix by the man Kurtis Mantronik - what a let down. There is an absolute clanger in there going from track 3 to 4 on CD2 that any DJ with 2 turntables and 2 slabs of vinyl would cringe at. But, with having a raft of digital 'tools' at just about anyone's disposal these days, this is unforgivable.

My theory is that the mix was not submitted like this but has had to be edited/shortened (by someone that has no clue about the art of the DJ mix) for it to fit the CD.

Some of the 'remixes' are also questionable.

More quality control by those that really know next time!

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it!, 9 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Crucial Electro 4 (Audio CD)

The disk does fit well with the rest of the Crucial series and my only disappointments are the numerous changes to the release date and the couple of changes to the shipping times.

I'm not as technically savvy on mixing prowess as some of the other reviewers, so I'm also pleased to say that I also like the mixed disk.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 9 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Crucial Electro 4 (Audio CD)
It's rare to see an album released of underground tracks from the 80s so when I heard about this, I knew I would be buying it. The digital remasters are of top quality - a fantastic job! The artwork is spot on too - perfect in keeping with the original series. And I like the fact that you get one CD unmixed and then an additional CD which is mixed. Even though the mixing isn't great, I would still rather this be a double CD than one CD of unmixed tracks. It is kind of 'messy' having what are referred to as Bonus Tracks after the mixed CD but again, better than only filling half the CD.

So would I recommend this? Of course, with no hesitation, because the original electro sound is here and it's remastered to sound crisp and vibrant. I support StreetSounds completely in releasing this, but it makes me thirsty for more and in particular, I'd love to see the original three Crucial Electro albums digitally remastered and released on CD in the same format.

1.0 out of 5 stars Money for old rope., 9 Aug. 2013
C. Grey (moon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crucial Electro 4 (Audio CD)
In the 80s the Streetsounds Electro series were essential to any Hip Hop fan. They gave the UK listener affordable access to countless classics we would never of heard of unless we were regular diggers in major city independent record shops. It was Streetsounds that inspired me to start DJing and I have over the years managed to source a lot of the original tracks.
So here we are 25 years on and there appears to be a Streetsounds revival. When I heard there was going to be another Crucial release I was quite excited. The massive delay that followed managed to deplete most of that. Then there's the track list.... nothing new that didn't appear on the original LPs! Money for old rope I was starting to think. The remixes - I don't really care too much for a modern day take on these tracks as they're classics, and personally feel they shouldn't be tampered with. So that said there was still the mix to look forward to, another great detail in the Streetsounds legacy. But this mix by legendary Kurtis Mantronik is embarrassingly amateur. It appears to have been done on an Ableton type of software, which Mantronik appears to have relied on too much. There are obvious mistakes, which should have never been allowed out of the door.
So in summary, this release falls way too short. If you want remastered copies of the original classics then buy it. Otherwise save your money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Took too long, 2 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Crucial Electro 4 (Audio CD)
I have read the other review on this CD and have to agree that there is some suspect mixing on disc 2, not sure what is going on but it is not up to the usual standard. My gripe is that we were informed that this album was due for release in 2012 and a year later after a number of promised delivery dates we finally get the goods. I don't have any problem with the track listing as this is a "best of" album and it certainly delivers on that score. The cover art is also brilliant as it fits the original series perfectly.

However, there are a lot of Street sounds fans out there that would follow Morgan Khan to the ends of the earth as he brought us all good grooves in the 80's when no one else was supporting the genre. To be kept waiting for over a year from press release to discover that there is some dodgy mixing on the disc is not good for future sales and it is very disappointing. Come on Morgan don't let us down we believe in you and your product, hopefully the next release will be a bit more organised.

Rant over, the un-mixed disc is priceless and is the best part of the album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Crucial Electro 4 [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Great service and great item many thanks

Crucial Electro 4
Crucial Electro 4 by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2013)
Click for more info
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available