5.0 out of 5 stars An offer I couldn't resist!, 31 Jan 2014
This review is from: Haydn Quartets (10 CD set) (Audio CD)
What can I add to the many critical accolades this quartet has gathered? When the individual albums in this series were first published I was sorely tempted to acquire them but hesitated at the full album price. Now in this boxed set all my Christmases have come at once! The playing, balance of the instruments and capture of the room acoustics are all in the highest class and the price for the box is a real bargain - I just couldn't resist and I'm delighted I didn't!

5.0 out of 5 stars A magnificent box, 30 April 2014
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Haydn Quartets (10 CD set) (Audio CD)
This magnificent box contains contain all ten discs of Haydn quartets so far recorded by Quatuor Mosaiques and is a truly outstanding collection of recordings at a remarkably low price.

Haydn's String Quartets are wonderful works full of melody, invention, intensity and wit. They are among my favourite works in the canon because there is such great variety and joy in them and you can always hear something new. Quatuor Mosaiques play them superbly. They are a "period" quartet who play on gut strings and with little or no vibrato, which gives a clear, warm sound and a distinctive (and to me delightful) style to the quartets. The musicians themselves are brilliant: they have established themselves as one of the world's leading quartets, and listening to these discs it is easy to see why. They play with a fluency, grace and precision which brings out all the charm and profundity in Haydn's music, and they really understand that Haydn often said serious things in a witty way. The slow movements are often truly moving, and others genuinely make me smile every time.

I think that these performances are unsurpassed by any of the great quartets who have recorded them and they have given me immense pleasure for years. Now that they are re-released at this price for all ten discs they're a monumental bargain, too, and I would wholeheartedly recommend it. I am sure these recordings will form a loved cornerstone of your collection as they do in mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unmissable, 22 Feb 2014
Ken Braithwaite (inkster, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Haydn Quartets (10 CD set) (Audio CD)
Best set of Haydn quartets there is. HIP performance, wonderful ensemble playing, beautiful string sound, exemplary recording. Lives up to the hype.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally....., 19 Dec 2013
This review is from: Haydn Quartets (10 CD set) (Audio CD)
It's wonderful to have all these great recordings together in a box at long last. Get it while you can.... Five stars plus plus plus. Some of their Haydn discs, such as Op. 76/77, have been hard to purchase, save for high prices on the used market. The Quatour Mosaiques performances will truly convince you of Papa Haydn's greatness and glory in the string quartet, should you need convincing. For me, their recordings have proved the beginning of a lifelong love of Haydn. Desert island discs for me.

Haydn Quartets (10 CD set)
Haydn Quartets (10 CD set) by Joseph Haydn (Audio CD - 2013)