5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Magic
Published 21 months ago by Customer Bob

3.0 out of 5 stars bryns new one
This was a cd which was slightly disappointing .The glory that is Terfels voice did not really emerge in this recording,but the soprano was beautiful
Published 19 months ago by L.P.GUNTER

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Magic, 13 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Homeward Bound (Audio CD)
Bryn Terfel's voice is a phenomenon, and I feel incredibly lucky to have experienced it in my lifetime; these kinds of voices only come along once in a generation or so. The burnished timbre, richness, colossal power, immaculate breath control, and sheer beauty all combine in an instrument that is peerless among bass-baritones today. Add to that his exceptional sensitivity to text and meaning, and his impeccable musicianship--both of which seem to be enhanced further with age and experience--and pretty much anything Terfel sings is a gem. Put him in company with the iconic Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and it's pure magic.

Comparisons are bound to arise between this album and Terfel's *Simple Gifts* from eight years ago. The repertory traverses the same wide-ranging territory (including some overlaps of song choice) from sacred to secular, old to new, classical to traditional. Here the choir is featured more prominently than the London Voices were on the earlier CD, but otherwise the album concept is similar. That said, I think the current album is much more successful, and the elevation of the choir to an equal partner with the soloist lends more variety to the repertory--the choir isn't there just to sing pretty "back-up" vocals. There are no cringe-worthy collaborations or cloying pop songs to skip over on this album. And I think the quality of performance across the board--soloists, choir, orchestra--surpasses the earlier album.

Terfel applies his lieder chops here to everything he sings, giving as much nuance and attention to "Home on the Range" as he does to Handel or Fauré. That's an artist who has owned his musicianship, and doesn't need to prove anything to anyone. Every track is impeccably sung. Bravissimo, Bryn.

And a heads-up to those who haven't heard the Mormon Tabernacle Choir recently... it's not your grandmother's choir. I've been following the aesthetic direction this choir has taken over the last ten years, and suspect the current album will only augment its reputation as one of the finest choirs in the world today. It is a large group--360 singers--and yet on this album the choir sings with the clarity of tone, precision, and intimacy of a small, professional chamber ensemble. It is scrupulously in-tune and matched in timbre throughout its range--a very carefully controlled sound. On the quieter tracks it holds back, keeping its potential sonic power in check: a lion waiting to roar. Then I hear the end of "Battle Hymn of the Republic" or the middle section of Fauré's "Libera me" from the Requiem, and melt in awe of what a very disciplined large choir can do when it pulls out all the stops. And they don't come any larger, or more disciplined, than the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

Finally, kudos to the guests that sing with Terfel. Sissel is luminous, as always. On the final track ("Give Me My Song") her singing is more ravishing than ever. And Tamara Mumford reveals a beautifully warm and sensitive mezzo-soprano voice in Karl Jenkins's "Ave verum corpus."

All-round, this album sets a new benchmark in choral/vocal excellence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent, if quirky, collection from Bryn, 9 Sept. 2013
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Homeward Bound (Audio CD)
Bryn recorded this album with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in Salt Lake City. The selection of songs is somewhat eclectic, bringing together songs from diverse sources, but particularly from America, Wales and England.

The title track is not Simon and Garfunkel's Homeward bound, but Marta Keen's Homeward bound - a very different but also enjoyable song that I'd not heard before. It seems that this song is her most famous composition.

I am familiar with other versions in my music collection of What a wonderful world, How great thou art, Blow the wind southerly, Shenandoah (which Bryn previously recorded for Bryn, although the version here is different), Battle hymn of the republic, When the saints go marchin'in and Home on the range). I've also heard some of the other songs including Cwm Rhondda, but I'm not sure whether I own other versions of these songs, which is all the more reason to welcome their appearance here.

Despite my familiarity with most of the songs, Bryn's versions are very different from the versions I've heard before, especially Home on the range and How great thou art.. It is particularly interesting for me to hear these two songs, which I've often heard by country singers, but it's nice to hear such a contrast as I find here. Sissel (on two songs) and Tamara Mumford provide guest femal vocals.

A few songs are sung wholly or partly in languages other than English, but the booklet contains full lyrics of all songs includuding English translations where applicable. The album ends with Give me a song, a song I've never heard before, but which was written by a composer (Benny Andersson, once of Abba) who is very familiar to me. It set me thinking that if there is one Abba song that could have worked well here - The way old friends do. Stll, I like Give me a son, which is a great way to end an album that came full of surprises, but very well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars homeward bound, 19 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Homeward Bound (Audio CD)
I love this album have played it over and over , I love listening to bryn , great choice , you will not be disappointed if you buy it .

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Musical Collaboration, 16 Sept. 2013
Malcolm (Edlesborough, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Homeward Bound, the latest release on CD from Bryn Terfel
and The Mormon Tabernacle Choir, brings together these two
musical greats which produce a most pleasing sound that
no doubt stems from their mutual Welsh heritage.

The result is an eclectic mix of songs, hymns and popular
American folk tunes/sea shanties with a touch of the spiritual
and the Operatic pleasantly blending together.

Bryn puts everything into this album with fine and clear
enunciation as one would expect from such a top quality
Operatic Baritone of world renown. Whilst MoTab under
the baton of their brilliant and equally world renowned
Choral Director, Mack Wilberg, brings a sweet and gentle
quality to this recording.
There is probably something to please everyone on this CD.
Old favourites such as How Great Thou Art, Cwm Rhondda sung
in Welsh and English, Shall We Gather At The River, a new
gentler arrangement of the Battle Hymn of The Republic from
Mack Wilberg, and my particular favourite, Lascia Ch'io Pianga
from Rinaldo by Handel.
Also appearing on this recording are the sweet voices of Sissel
the Norwegian soprano, probably best known for the Titanic film
soundtrack recording and Tamara Mumford the American Mezzo-
soprano whose qualities can be heard on track 10 of this album
with the Ave Verum Corpus.

Over 78 minutes of beautiful music recorded and engineered in the
Salt Lake Tabernacle by Deutsche Grammophon.
Well worth buying for yourself or with Christmas just round the
corner, as a present for loved ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Xmas present, 3 Dec. 2013
MRS C. "Lady P" (Cheshire,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Homeward Bound (Audio CD)
I already have this C D recording and love it so I have bought this one for a Christmas present for a friend, who I am sure will enjoy it very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Homeward Bound, 18 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Homeward Bound (feat. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir) (MP3 Download)
This something I have been waiting for a long time. Bryn Terfel is an amazing performer and human being. This CD is magical and as a Hospital Radio presenter is just the thing my listeners like. Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real favourite, 15 Sept. 2013
Mr. P. G. Cartwright (Ilford, Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Homeward Bound (Audio CD)
From the first listening, I knew this was going to be one of my favourite albums. Since then, I have played it repeatedly and still find it wonderful. Bryn's expression is remarkably subtle for such a deep voice, and the Mormon choir and orchestra is sophisticated and supportive. The Scandinavian singer Sissel joins Bryn on three songs, and her voice is beautiful. Currently, my favourite tracks are 'Homeward Bound', 'Deep River' and 'Home on the Range', but with such variety on the album I suspect that others will take over later on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wanderful voice and sound!, 18 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Homeward Bound (Audio CD)
I heard this album while visiting my friend and I just knew that this album I want in my collection - it's absolutely amazing-I highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Homeward Bound (Audio CD)
After hearing some of the tracks on you tube, decided to purchase. The duet with Sissel is sublime. The recording is very clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bryn Terfel as his best, 8 April 2014
This review is from: Homeward Bound (Audio CD)
great songs by a great singer - Terfel is not only a great bass baritone - he is able to make crossover to other musician styles

Great

Homeward Bound (feat. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir)
Homeward Bound (feat. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir) by Bryn Terfel and Mack Wilberg and Orchestra at Temple Square and The Mormon Tabernacle Choir
Buy MP3 Album£9.49