4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, although I prefer Philips' cylinder-shaped models
I've been using Philips Wake-Up lights for almost 3 years, since I picked up the Philips HF3485. The HF3485 is one of the larger, cylinder-shaped range which Philips have brought out, whereas this one is much smaller & takes up far less space on a bedside table.

Published 11 months ago by Sam Woodward

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for lovers of night time darkness
Maybe I am in a minority here, but I really find LED lights and the like, digital display lights, a huge problem. They interfere with my restful sleep far more than a clangy alarm waking me up in the middle of the night on a dark winter morning.

Published 10 months ago by Lady Fancifull

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for lovers of night time darkness, 31 Oct 2013
This review is from: Philips Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock HF3505/01 with Sunrise Simulation - 2 Natural Sounds and Radio (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Sadly, the digital display on the clock, though you can turn it right down, so that it is invisible in daylight, once the light is out at night, even the minimum glow disturbs me. Sure, I can turn the face completely away from me and put it on the far side of the bedside table - but this then makes nonsense of the dual function `can also use it as a bedside lamp' and also awkward to turn off the light and alarm in the morning.

I certainly like the option of forest bird song as an alarm (as do the cats) or even the radio (though I prefer to leave that till I'm actually up - just in case instead of gentle classical music the 1812 is being played!)

I found the operation a bit fiddly and complicated - too many embedded points on the face to be pressed to set the various different functions - clock time, alarm time, alarm on, alarm off, brightness, alarm sound, 12/24 hour. In common with quite a lot of digital stuff it takes much longer to re-programme variables than a good old fashioned wind-up alarm. It might be fine for someone who always gets up at the same time, but changing the alarm daily is too much of a faff.

A further problem or challenge is given if two people have varied sensitivities to light - one person waking 30 minutes early as the light change begins, whilst the other needs the light to be hyper bright to have woken. Not to mention the fact that if you are someone who, horrors, sleeps with animals in the bedroom (that's me) you absolutely lose 30 minutes of sleep as the one advantage of dark winter mornings is the felines' body clocks say it is night, not breakfast and they slumber on till it is light or I get up. A thirty minute gradual `lamp dawn' means 30 minutes before I need to wake, cats are howling, purring, tapping, pulling at the bedclothes and in a lather of `it must be feeding time' excitement

IF you have no animals in the bedroom, IF you only have your own light preference to deal with, IF you don't need proper darkness to sleep, IF you generally have an unvarying 5 day a week wake up time, I'm sure this will be fine. Sadly, it clashed with me on all of these variables

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, although I prefer Philips' cylinder-shaped models, 23 Oct 2013
Sam Woodward (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Wake-up lights are my favourite way to wake up, particularly in the winter. I'm not sure how well they combat SAD & personally I find the Philips HF3320 goLITE BLU Energy SAD Light far more effective for this purpose. Nevertheless, drifting in & out of a snooze over half an hour while the light increases gradually & the birdsong alarm eventually kicks in is far more pleasant than having my old audio alarm abruptly screaming in my ear-hole like a siren. I feel far more awake & less inclined to remain in bed once the half-hour is up.

As with my first Philips wake-up light alarm, the number of buttons is initially intimidating - particularly since it only comes with a small leaflet containing diagrams rather than written instructions. But because a lot of the buttons are in different places on the unit, I found I got used to them surprisingly quickly.

What I really like is that everything is adjustable - the lamp has 10 brightness settings (although my old HF3485 has 20) & the clock display has 4. You can program the maximum brightness which you want the lamp to light up to in the mornings & the volume of the FM radio. Speaking of the radio, I personally prefer using the natural sound alarms & timing my bedside DAB to come on halfway through the light-up cycle at a low volume because the FM signal in my bedroom isn't great.

Overall I prefer the older cylinder-shaped model because its larger surface area ensures it lights up the whole room. While that one is 250 Lux & the HF3505/01 is 200, its smaller surface area means that it seems brighter on high settings when looked at directly. However, the HF3505/01 has the benefits of being less heavy, taking up less space, having a larger clock display & being very attractive.

At the time of writing, the prices of both types are very similar, so which one you go for will come down to personal preference. But I would certainly recommend getting a wake-up light to everyone, regardless of the model.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better., 27 Nov 2013
M. Dasani (London, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I first got this product I was excited because I had thought of getting one for a while and was looking forward to trying it out. My sleep has been sporadic since starting my own business and need to get all the help I can to get those extra hours in and feel more refreshed in the mornings.

My first sleep/wake with this lamp was great, I was alert a lot quicker and felt like I had more energy, but it seemed short lived. Sleep seems to be back to normal with the lamp being nothing more than a lamp and alarm clock.

It has standard features like 2 alarm sounds and FM radio. A light which gradually brightens over 30mins to gently wake you up and a touch to snooze (more like whack to snooze).

I also don't feel the light is as bright to light up the whole room as some people claim, but then again I'm up at 5 and out by 6 when it's pitch black outside anyway.

I feel the lamp could be better, but then I suppose that's why they have the more expensive models.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic little light., 20 Dec 2013
I received the Wake-up Light as part of a discount from Philips. I liked the idea that it was compact..

This light is brilliant as it has 10 light settings so you can use for either full light or dim light. I use it as a night light.
I can use it as a reading light.

Its a lovely warm light. I would recommend it to anyone. I am getting one for my son as a night light in his room.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great start to my day, 1 Nov 2013
FLB (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a shift worker and I always wake up tired, my first thoughts every single day are that I can't wait to go back to bed. I am always tired, which I put down to having a stressful job, young twin daughters and a life that is whizzing by at 100 mph.

I sleep right under a velux window and I do not close the blinds usually. I like to wake up to daylight as I find that it makes me feel better than waking up to the sudden jolt of an alarm (no matter how nice the alarm is). Now that winter has returned, I had already noticed it was harder to get up in the morning, so I was delighted to receive this clock.

My first impressions were that it is really quite a small thing, nicely designed, unobtrusive and elegant looking. Yes, it is very plasticky, but what isn't these days?

It was easy enough to start using and I could not wait to try it out.

The first day it woke me up 15 minutes into the 30 min cycle of increasing light. I found it a really gentle way to wake up and I got up and turned it off well before the birds started tweeting (another nice function).

The second day I woke up with the tweeting, which might be considered a fail, but I had not closed the curtains and the clocks had gone back so it was generally lighter in the room anyway.

I think this will be a great product during winter and even in the summer I will use it as I like the birdsong much more than my phone alarm!

Oh, the biggest advantage to me is that the time can be really dimmed, so you can just see it, but it is not bright enough to make my bedroom glow - unlike the clock on my phone which is now redundant!

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't seem to be working for me, 30 Oct 2013
E. L. Wisty "World Domination League" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Thus far this contraption doesn't seem to be working for me. Rather than being woken up gently, I am generally either being woken up with a bit of a start just as you would with alarm clock, or else only being woken up by the alarm sound at the end of the 30 minute "sunrise" rather than by the effects of the light itself.

One thing I can say that I do like about this is that the brightness of the clock digits can be set to one of four brightness levels. Most alarm clocks are just too bright.

I have also evaluated the entry level model Philips Wake-Up Light HF3500/01. Whereas that only has an alarm beep, this next level model has an FM radio and the alarm sound at the end of the wake-up sequence can be set to the radio or else to one of two birdsong sounds. I thought the first of these is OK (though the missus didn't like it, regarding it as "artificial") although the second has too much of the cuckoo.

This model is superior to the lesser model in the buttons. Here they are touch sensitive rather than the clunky push buttons of that other, so you need to only lightly caress them without having to grasp the whole unit so as to prevent it from being pushed back or over. The buttons are invisible in the dark, but all you have to do is tap lightly on the clock face and the buttons will light up for a few seconds. This is a nice feature indeed.

On the other hand there are a number of usability negatives with this:

- When there is any external light shining on the clock, the digits are totally invisible (at least on the lower brightness setting) as the surface is very reflective. I want to keep my existing bedside light rather than use this instead, as I find it's not quite so good at giving 'directional' light for me to use to read in bed, but I can't have that and see the clock as well. Ditto if I have the bedroom main light on.

- Should you decide you want to cancel the wake-up sequence part way through (something I want to do as I often wake up fully before or early on in the sequence and don't want it to continue), there appears to be no way to do this. If you press the alarm button that simply turns the alarm off for the next day but the sequence continues. If you then turn the alarm back on again, the current sequence in progress simply restarts but at a faster rate in order to finish at the original time. On the other hand, if you turn off the light part way through, it remains off, but the alarm sound at the end still happens.

- Unlike every other alarm I have ever had, there is no "weekend" setting to disable the sunrise/alarm on those days when you want a lie-in. OK, it's just a one touch operation to disable or enable the alarm, but you have to remember to do this without fail every Friday and Sunday respectively.

EDIT: I have docked a star from my original rating because I have found a number of times now that the light level for the alarm has for no reason reset to 1, and thus the wake up light has been so low that I have known nothing about it until I have been woken up by the sounds after the 30 minutes. This is very p*sspoor. I have not had this problem with the other entry-level model, so I don't know whether this is just a faulty unit or whether there is an inherent design/build problem here.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fiddly to set up, but worth it in the end......?, 3 Jan 2014
Roger Sharp (Kenley, Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have left off reviewing this product for months. It has taken me that long to give it a fair trial and to set it up properly.

One thing this product is not is a replacement for anyone who wants a replacement for a light box becasue they have SAD.

This a an alarm clock that incorporates the element of increasingly bright light as well as a traditional FM radio or a choice of two bird sound loops to wake up. Philips say there is scientific evidence that proves this a a better way to wake in the winter nights. They mention no sources or studies to support this claim. I cannot find any.

It is not the most elegantly designed product. The snooze function has never worked.

Is it worth 95.00? No.

3.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, modern and a great idea, however ....., 5 Dec 2013
S. A. Broadhurst "SBroadhurst" (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this to be a stylish and modern looking light. The light is bright enough at the higher end of the scale to be a reading light. There is a built in fm radio and a number of alarm calls, including bird song. The digital clock has four brightness settings.
I found the touch sensitive areas of the front to be difficult to use at first, however got used to them. The alarm seemed to go off in the middle of the night when I was unaware that I had set it and I did find it difficult to switch off at first. However after a few days I got used to the controls and now really like the unit.
The gradual sunrise function is nice to wake up to but I am unsure if I would use this as a permanent alarm clock due to its awkward button functions.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but lacking in features for the price., 5 Dec 2013
J. Scott "JS" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First the disclaimer: I was given this free for review purposes.

In a nutshell: Do I like it? Yes, with reservations. Would I buy another if something happened to this one? ABSOLUTELY not.

First, the good stuff. This alarm starts to glow gently half-an-hour before your wake-up time. The glow very slowly intensifies over the next 30 minutes, until by your set time (when the audio alarm also comes on) it's blazing away at full intensity.

Personally I found that it reliably wakes me, very gently, 15 minutes before the alarm time. This is so consistent that if I want to wake at, say 7, I now set the alarm for 7.15.

If you do want the audio alarm, you have 3 options: bird song, a sort of jungle/woodland ambience, or a radio station.

The lamp is also bright enough to service as an OK reading lamp.

So far, so good. So what don't I like?

Well, it's not exactly an inexpensive alarm clock, and even at Amazon's discounted price, I personally think it still costs too much for what you actually get.

The clock itself is VERY plastic-y and lightweight, and while I can't fault the quality of the finish, it somehow FEELs cheap.

If you live in an area where you get occasional power fluctuations, you'll find this clock very frustrating: In this price range, I would have expected it to wirelessly set the time using the MSF time signal broadcast. At the very least, I would have expected that it would allow me to insert some sort of backup battery - but no. Every time there's a blink in the power supply, you have to reset the time and alarm manually. This is a REAL bummer if it happens in the middle of the night, because the clock resets to startup mode - flashing on and off really brightly. It will wake you up wondering if the house is on fire or something.
(this has happened often enough now for me to re-write this review and change my formerly 3-star rating to 2 stars.)

The various settings for the clock are far from intuitive, and this isn't helped by the usual Philips minimalist approach to documentation, though it's simple enough once you figure it out.

The Natural Sounds are OK, but why only two (that are so similar to each other)? Other similar clocks seem to manage a half-dozen or so. A bit more variety would be nice.

Hence my so-so review. It's a very good alarm clock, but not quite as good as Philips must think, given its pricing.
If my freebie dies, I might buy another if it was in the £25-30 price range, but otherwise I'd look elsewhere.

3.0 out of 5 stars Build quality obscures an accomplished product, 19 Nov 2013
M. C. Cresswell - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having reviewed another of the Philips Sunrise lamps previously, I was curious to have the opportunity to try out this step up model, which includes some "natural sounds" and an FM radio. This isn't quite the only difference as the buttons for setting alarm, clock etc. have been redesigned, flush with the surface of the clock and illuminated the same comfortable orange colour of the clock. Sadly, the build quality is disappointingly light even on this superior model, and given the lack of remote control I find myself squinting to look into the brightness of the lamp when I need to either turn down the light level, or make an adjustment to the alarm time. This requires a two-handed operation as the unit is so lightweight.

I'm not entirely convinced that the radio and sounds add much to the unit - I feel the investment would have been better made in making the unit for solid and supplying a remote.

However, this does wake you up very nicely indeed!

Bit of a mixed bag, and at the price I would expect perfection.