4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, although I prefer Philips' cylinder-shaped models
I've been using Philips Wake-Up lights for almost 3 years, since I picked up the Philips HF3485. The HF3485 is one of the larger, cylinder-shaped range which Philips have brought out, whereas this one is much smaller & takes up far less space on a bedside table.

Published 9 months ago by Sam Woodward

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for lovers of night time darkness
Maybe I am in a minority here, but I really find LED lights and the like, digital display lights, a huge problem. They interfere with my restful sleep far more than a clangy alarm waking me up in the middle of the night on a dark winter morning.

Published 8 months ago by Lady Fancifull

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for lovers of night time darkness, 31 Oct 2013
This review is from: Philips Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock HF3505/01 with Sunrise Simulation - 2 Natural Sounds and Radio (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Sadly, the digital display on the clock, though you can turn it right down, so that it is invisible in daylight, once the light is out at night, even the minimum glow disturbs me. Sure, I can turn the face completely away from me and put it on the far side of the bedside table - but this then makes nonsense of the dual function `can also use it as a bedside lamp' and also awkward to turn off the light and alarm in the morning.

I certainly like the option of forest bird song as an alarm (as do the cats) or even the radio (though I prefer to leave that till I'm actually up - just in case instead of gentle classical music the 1812 is being played!)

I found the operation a bit fiddly and complicated - too many embedded points on the face to be pressed to set the various different functions - clock time, alarm time, alarm on, alarm off, brightness, alarm sound, 12/24 hour. In common with quite a lot of digital stuff it takes much longer to re-programme variables than a good old fashioned wind-up alarm. It might be fine for someone who always gets up at the same time, but changing the alarm daily is too much of a faff.

A further problem or challenge is given if two people have varied sensitivities to light - one person waking 30 minutes early as the light change begins, whilst the other needs the light to be hyper bright to have woken. Not to mention the fact that if you are someone who, horrors, sleeps with animals in the bedroom (that's me) you absolutely lose 30 minutes of sleep as the one advantage of dark winter mornings is the felines' body clocks say it is night, not breakfast and they slumber on till it is light or I get up. A thirty minute gradual `lamp dawn' means 30 minutes before I need to wake, cats are howling, purring, tapping, pulling at the bedclothes and in a lather of `it must be feeding time' excitement

IF you have no animals in the bedroom, IF you only have your own light preference to deal with, IF you don't need proper darkness to sleep, IF you generally have an unvarying 5 day a week wake up time, I'm sure this will be fine. Sadly, it clashed with me on all of these variables

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, although I prefer Philips' cylinder-shaped models, 23 Oct 2013
Sam Woodward (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Wake-up lights are my favourite way to wake up, particularly in the winter. I'm not sure how well they combat SAD & personally I find the Philips HF3320 goLITE BLU Energy SAD Light far more effective for this purpose. Nevertheless, drifting in & out of a snooze over half an hour while the light increases gradually & the birdsong alarm eventually kicks in is far more pleasant than having my old audio alarm abruptly screaming in my ear-hole like a siren. I feel far more awake & less inclined to remain in bed once the half-hour is up.

As with my first Philips wake-up light alarm, the number of buttons is initially intimidating - particularly since it only comes with a small leaflet containing diagrams rather than written instructions. But because a lot of the buttons are in different places on the unit, I found I got used to them surprisingly quickly.

What I really like is that everything is adjustable - the lamp has 10 brightness settings (although my old HF3485 has 20) & the clock display has 4. You can program the maximum brightness which you want the lamp to light up to in the mornings & the volume of the FM radio. Speaking of the radio, I personally prefer using the natural sound alarms & timing my bedside DAB to come on halfway through the light-up cycle at a low volume because the FM signal in my bedroom isn't great.

Overall I prefer the older cylinder-shaped model because its larger surface area ensures it lights up the whole room. While that one is 250 Lux & the HF3505/01 is 200, its smaller surface area means that it seems brighter on high settings when looked at directly. However, the HF3505/01 has the benefits of being less heavy, taking up less space, having a larger clock display & being very attractive.

At the time of writing, the prices of both types are very similar, so which one you go for will come down to personal preference. But I would certainly recommend getting a wake-up light to everyone, regardless of the model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic little light., 20 Dec 2013
I received the Wake-up Light as part of a discount from Philips. I liked the idea that it was compact..

This light is brilliant as it has 10 light settings so you can use for either full light or dim light. I use it as a night light.
I can use it as a reading light.

Its a lovely warm light. I would recommend it to anyone. I am getting one for my son as a night light in his room.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings..., 19 Nov 2013
A. Milne "themilnes" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like the idea behind the Wake-Up Light alarm clocks - surely it's far more pleasant to be woken up gradually and gently than to be startled from deep sleep by a shrill buzzer etc?

Well, I've been using it now for about 3 weeks and have to admit that I have rather mixed feelings about it. It is definitely nicer being woken up gradually than all of a sudden, but I can't help feeling that I'm actually missing out on a bit of sleep because I'm nearly always awake before the alarm, (I have mine set to bird sound), actually goes off. The bird sound itself is very realistic and quite relaxing. At first I was worried that I would go back to sleep to it and so ended up setting my old alarm for 5 minutes later as a backup, but that's never actually happened. Perhaps this is helped by the fact that my rather stupid young cat hears the bird noises every morning and vaults across the bed at a huge rate of knots - generally landing painfully on me on the way over. I probably can't mark the clock down for that...but be warned if you're a cat owner! :)

Waking up aside, the clock does look nice and very neat on the bedside table. However, I find that it's let down a little by some slightly annoying little issues. For example, I found it a little difficult to navigate the functions and didn't find the user manual to be all that much use. A bit of time and effort later I've got there, but it definitely isn't the most intuitive thing I've used. I have the display set to quite a dim level so that it doesn't disturb me at night, but unfortunately this seems to mean that you can't see the display at all in daylight and, without being able to see the display, you can't actually do a lot with it / change any of the functions etc. Grrr!

So, on the whole whilst I still do really like the thinking behind this sort of alarm, I am currently less than convinced. I shall give it a go for a while longer, but I have a feeling that I will be reverting to my old alarm clock in the not too distant future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slim, easy to set-up, with integrated radio or bird sounds to wake you - a real boost during the dark months, 26 Oct 2013
K. Trebell (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using a Sunrise Alarm for the past 12 months (a Lumie) and am definitely a convert to the idea. I've found being gradually awoken by an increasing light so much more natural than being jolted awake in darkness by an alarm or radio.

This Philips sunrise Alarm is a 30 minute alarm, meaning it will begin to light up 30 minutes before hitting full intensity, giving you a 30 minute dawn during those dark months to help gently wake you.

The alarm is very slim and compact yet just as intense in it's brightness as my existing alarm. It's very easy to set-up and configure and just as easy to use (definitely a simpler set-up than my Lumie).

The alarm function works well, gradually coming on and increasing in intensity in the 30 minutes before your alarm time. An audible alarm then triggers when the 30 minutes is reached. Unfortunately this can't be switched off like it can in the Lumie lamps, it does however provide a choice or either an fm radio or a quite nice birdsong sound, both of which are much nicer than the alarm sounds of the cheaper model of this light.

This light also functions as an fm radio which can be turned on an off as you need it, handy for me as it's allowed me to replace my radio and sunrise alarm with just one product and free up a power socket.

The main downside of this alarm compared to my existing is the lack of a sunset function. I really like being able to turn my alarm on with the lamp on and it slowly dimming itself and turning itself off in the half hour following. This sunset function might not be quite as beneficial as the sunrise but it is something I've got used to and seems to help me slowly drop off as it dims.

This is an LED based alarm, which means a long life but also means it isn't replaceable so the clocks life ends when the bulb does. As long as the life is very long this shouldn't be an issue but I must admit my other sunrise alarm having the option of changing is something I prefer as I know I can keep it going for years and years that way.

Overall for the price this is a good sunrise alarm and the in-built radio and birdsong sounds make it a nicer offering than the cheaper Philips Wake-up light. It's got it's pros and cons but I'd strongly recommend anyone struggling in the dark months and especially those with seasonally affected disorder to take a look at an alarm like this. They are a huge boost to sufferers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fiddly to set up, but worth it in the end......?, 3 Jan 2014
Roger Sharp (Kenley, Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have left off reviewing this product for months. It has taken me that long to give it a fair trial and to set it up properly.

One thing this product is not is a replacement for anyone who wants a replacement for a light box becasue they have SAD.

This a an alarm clock that incorporates the element of increasingly bright light as well as a traditional FM radio or a choice of two bird sound loops to wake up. Philips say there is scientific evidence that proves this a a better way to wake in the winter nights. They mention no sources or studies to support this claim. I cannot find any.

It is not the most elegantly designed product. The snooze function has never worked.

Is it worth 95.00? No.

3.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, modern and a great idea, however ....., 5 Dec 2013
S. A. Broadhurst "SBroadhurst" (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this to be a stylish and modern looking light. The light is bright enough at the higher end of the scale to be a reading light. There is a built in fm radio and a number of alarm calls, including bird song. The digital clock has four brightness settings.
I found the touch sensitive areas of the front to be difficult to use at first, however got used to them. The alarm seemed to go off in the middle of the night when I was unaware that I had set it and I did find it difficult to switch off at first. However after a few days I got used to the controls and now really like the unit.
The gradual sunrise function is nice to wake up to but I am unsure if I would use this as a permanent alarm clock due to its awkward button functions.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but lacking in features for the price., 5 Dec 2013
J. Scott "JS" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First the disclaimer: I was given this free for review purposes.

In a nutshell: Do I like it? Yes, with reservations. Would I buy another if something happened to this one? ABSOLUTELY not.

First, the good stuff. This alarm starts to glow gently half-an-hour before your wake-up time. The glow very slowly intensifies over the next 30 minutes, until by your set time (when the audio alarm also comes on) it's blazing away at full intensity.

Personally I found that it reliably wakes me, very gently, 15 minutes before the alarm time. This is so consistent that if I want to wake at, say 7, I now set the alarm for 7.15.

If you do want the audio alarm, you have 3 options: bird song, a sort of jungle/woodland ambience, or a radio station.

The lamp is also bright enough to service as an OK reading lamp.

So far, so good. So what don't I like?

Well, it's not exactly an inexpensive alarm clock, and even at Amazon's discounted price, I personally think it still costs too much for what you actually get.

The clock itself is VERY plastic-y and lightweight, and while I can't fault the quality of the finish, it somehow FEELs cheap.

If you live in an area where you get occasional power fluctuations, you'll find this clock very frustrating: In this price range, I would have expected it to wirelessly set the time using the MSF time signal broadcast. At the very least, I would have expected that it would allow me to insert some sort of backup battery - but no. Every time there's a blink in the power supply, you have to reset the time and alarm manually. This is a REAL bummer if it happens in the middle of the night, because the clock resets to startup mode - flashing on and off really brightly. It will wake you up wondering if the house is on fire or something.
(this has happened often enough now for me to re-write this review and change my formerly 3-star rating to 2 stars.)

The various settings for the clock are far from intuitive, and this isn't helped by the usual Philips minimalist approach to documentation, though it's simple enough once you figure it out.

The Natural Sounds are OK, but why only two (that are so similar to each other)? Other similar clocks seem to manage a half-dozen or so. A bit more variety would be nice.

Hence my so-so review. It's a very good alarm clock, but not quite as good as Philips must think, given its pricing.
If my freebie dies, I might buy another if it was in the 25-30 price range, but otherwise I'd look elsewhere.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better., 27 Nov 2013
M. Dasani (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I first got this product I was excited because I had thought of getting one for a while and was looking forward to trying it out. My sleep has been sporadic since starting my own business and need to get all the help I can to get those extra hours in and feel more refreshed in the mornings.

My first sleep/wake with this lamp was great, I was alert a lot quicker and felt like I had more energy, but it seemed short lived. Sleep seems to be back to normal with the lamp being nothing more than a lamp and alarm clock.

It has standard features like 2 alarm sounds and FM radio. A light which gradually brightens over 30mins to gently wake you up and a touch to snooze (more like whack to snooze).

I also don't feel the light is as bright to light up the whole room as some people claim, but then again I'm up at 5 and out by 6 when it's pitch black outside anyway.

I feel the lamp could be better, but then I suppose that's why they have the more expensive models.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brings sunlight to a dark morning, 25 Nov 2013
Big Bertha (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Don't like being dragged awake in the darkness during these winter months by an alarm clock? This Philips Wake-Up Light could be the answer. Set it for the time you'd normally get up and gradually the sunshine simulation builds up in intensity to the maximum level (which you can set)waking you up naturally before a backup alarm goes off at the time you set it. The alarm can be snoozed by simply tapping the light.

This is an upgraded version of the HF3500/01 and gives you the choice of setting the alarm to either FM Radio or two different bird sounds. It also has a dusk setting enabling it to be used in reverse to send you off to sleep. Compact sized this light fits easily on my bedside cabinet, it's also very light and annoyingly it slides around when touching the control buttons if not held in place. The clock display is easy to read at night and not overly bright like some other alarm clocks.

Philips to a vast range of Wake-Up lights and personally I prefer the larger cylinder style one, but if you want a compact model and budget is a concern this one is is a good buy.