TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 January 2014
Style Name: Single packVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
At last, a decent LED spot that is a viable alternative to the energy consuming halogen Dino-bulbs of yesteryear AND more importantly lives up to its claims of equivalent light output.

This is the second generation of 50W equivalent LED's from Philips and they have managed to reduce the power usage by 0.5W whilst maintaining the high luminosity index.

The light is a warm white akin to the original halogens which I prefer for areas outside of the kitchen, with the spread being slightly wider and more uniform. The bulb itself feels well made and is identical in size to the halogen it replaced, which means no problems with retrofitting into older down-light fittings. A lower heat output, lower frequency of 'blowing' and the advantage of not tripping your fuse box MCB's makes these bulbs the ones for the future.

Light output is instantaneous with the added bonus of being dimmable, which the majority of LED bulbs haven't been up until now. On this point please be aware that most older style dimmer switches require a minimum load to function eg 40- 220W without causing any flickering or other issues, so if you intend changing your bulbs then make sure that your existing dimmer switch is up to the job of handling a lower load. (eg if you have a dimmer of load handling 40-220W and there are 4x50W existing halogens then the load is 200W whereas if you change them to 4x6W LED's then you only have a load of 24W which would cause problems as its below the recommended load handling of the dimmer switch) Thankfully there are now specialist Low Load Trailing Edge Dimmer Switches that are made to accommodate the lower loads from LED bulbs, so just be aware that you may have to factor in the cost of a replacement dimmer switch/electrician to get the use out of these new bulbs.

It is also worth remembering that LEDs cannot dim as low as halogen bulbs, while a typical halogen bulb will dim to about 5%, an LED will only dim to 10%.

Like others, the only problem I have is the exorbitantly high price point of the bulb, which gives you a nasty sting in the wallet. Hopefully the painful initial outlay will be more than offset by the long term energy cost savings, especially if the bulbs last as long as Philips claim ie 25years/40000hours.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 December 2013
This bulb has taken its place next to a 5w LED from this supplier
Long Life Lamp Company GU10 5 Watt Super Bright LED with New Chip Technology, Warm White 50w replacements
(which is about a third of the price of this Philips one) in a three-spotlamp fitting on our landing, which previously held three 20W flood-beam halogen GU10s. The old halogens did a good job of spreading light across the small landing and down the stairs, so the challenge for their LED replacements was to match this while using less electricity and producing less heat.

In terms of sheer light output, they certainly achieve this. Even the LLLC lamp on its own comes close, suggesting the '50W replacement' label is about right. With the two together, I've left an expired halogen bulb in the third holder because it's already close to being too bright.

So that's quantity, but how about quality? Both these bulbs are more 'spot' than 'flood' in their distribution, so I've aimed them at the wall and ceiling to give a more even spread. Even though both are quite 'warm' (i.e. yellow) in their output, the overall effect is still a little harsh for this smallish space, and I may look in the longer term for some lower-rated LEDs.

There's a fourth star on offer here for longevity. I've been disappointed in this respect with every 'long-life' lamp I've bought, so I'll be back with an update when I have a better idea of how long these last.

For now, though, both do a good job. I'd probably state a slight preference for the broader spread of the LLLC lamp, but in an application requiring a high, directional light output that isn't starkly pure white, either type ought to be very satisfactory.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon 16 January 2014
Style Name: Single packVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you're looking for a top quality GU10 LED bulb with a narrow beam, and you're willing to pay more for it, then this is an excellent choice.

The Good:
=========

- Very modern and neutral design that will fit well in most rooms. The matt silver outer section that is most visible will go very nicely in any silver/chrome or black light fitting, and shouldn't clash against other neutral colours.

- Instant brightness with no delay once turned on.

- Nice warm light (2700K colour temperature) works very well in a relaxed living room or kitchen area.

- Very low running costs given the brightness, with a relatively high light output of 350 lumens for only 5.5 Watts of power consumption.

- Can be used with a dimmer, which makes it excellent for replacing traditional Halogen bulbs in a dimmed lighting circuit.

- Very focussed narrow beam of light (40 degree beam angle) makes it an ideal spotlight bulb for kitchen work surfaces.

- Compact dimensions means it will fit inside most compact light fittings/spaces designed to just fit an old Halogen bulb.

The Bad:
========

- The matt silver outer section gets very hot (too hot to touch) in use, so be careful!

- As you would expect for a spot bulb, this bulb is not great for giving lots of background light across a large room/space. Choose a bulb with a wider beam angle for that.

Overall performance is excellent - other than the very high price, there is very little to criticise here. I believe you can get bulbs that are virtually as good for much less money, so this gets a solid 4 stars.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon 24 January 2014
Style Name: Single packVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have a number of 50W spotlights sunk in the ceiling of my kitchen and bathroom. They are currently all halogen 50W bulbs, so it seemed a good energy efficient move to try out this 5W LED variety instead. I also tried this other brand of LED spotlight AURAGLOW 5w COB LED GU10 Light Bulb, Warm White, 50w EQV - RETROFIT and compared all three together.

Both of the LED spotlights fitted nicely into the ceiling fittings. With the lights off, the Auraglow looked most different to the regular halogen bulbs as it has a marked white surround. With the lights on, the Auraglow white surround was much less obvious, but the Philips stood out more as the area emitting the light was smaller than the other bulbs (you can see it by looking at the picture).

Assuming that you're not being slightly weird (like me) and spending all your time looking at ceiling spotlights, then both LED lights gave off a good light with a nice warm quality, and I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference without peering at the ceiling.

I would definitely recommend these as an investment for their energy saving potential. If you think you are going to be bothered by minor differences in appearance between your old halogen bulbs and the new LED ones, you will just have to plan on changing all your bulbs in one go!
Style Name: Single packVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have more than 40 GU10 type spotlights in my house, so am very interested in replacing the old 50w halogen type bulbs with 5 or 6 watt LEDs. I have been experimenting with LED bulbs for a couple of years now, and whilst the earliest one I have emits a light that is closer to moonlight than sunlight - and therefore in many circumstances is not acceptable as a replacement for a 50 watt halogen, since I acquired my first Philips LED bulb, 6 months ago, I have been confident that the era of LED bulbs as GU10 replacements has now fully arrived.

As I have experimented with the various bulbs (five in total now, all different), I have discovered that the key numbers to look out for are the colour temperature and the beam angle. Whether a bulb consumes 5, 5.5 or 6 watts really isn't hugely important when replacing a 50 watt bulb - and anyway, how accurate within that 5 to 6 watt range is the claim?

Neither am I too bothered whether a bulb boasts an average life of 20,000 hours, 40,000 hours, or something in between. In most home situations, 20,000 hours of use is likely to extend over a good ten years, 40,000 over more than 20 years. Will we still be using the same light units 10 or 20 years from now? Will we still be living in the same house? So long as other performance features of the bulb meet my needs, and the unit cost of the bulb is right, 20,000 hours will do for me. But as it happens this Philips bulb claims a life of 40,000 hours, so that consideration is in this case not an issue.

This bulb is also dimmable - in theory. I add the 'in theory' as dimmer switches tend only to operate satisfactorily on circuits with at least 40 watts of lighting. That's eight or more of these bulbs. Other than in commercial situations, how many people have eight or more GU10 lights on a single switch?

The colour temperature is 2700k, and that is important. The result is that this lamp is genuinely 'warm white' The bigger the number, the whiter the light, so a 3000k bulb is noticeably whiter than this one, even though it is likely also to be advertised as warm white.

The beam angle also matters. In this case it is 40 degrees, which is fairly standard for a GU10 bulb. The halogen bulbs we are already familiar with are usually within the range 36-40 degrees. A wider beam angle will shed more of its light high up on any adjacent wall, a lower number concentrates the beam, making it more of a spot light and more likely to direct a pool of bright light all the way to the floor.

So I'm well pleased with this bulb for use in a sitting or dining area, as a reading light over my bed, or in a bath/shower room. Over kitchen work surfaces or a workbench, and as a living area or office reading light, a slightly whiter light with a somewhat tighter beam angle might be preferred. But this is the general purpose bulb and it's good.
on 7 November 2014
We have been purchasing several makes of GU10 LED retrofit bulbs in the hope of finding some that will fit in recessed ceiling downlight fittings, specifically only getting ones that state the word "retrofit". We had JCC ceiling downlights fitted 8 years ago and were using the energy gobbling halogens. Sadly, having little success finding any LED substitutes that will actually fit far enough into the downlight to allow the clip to hold the bulb in. Had high hopes for this Philips Master LED, but sadly the radius near the rim is too large and the bulb will not fully go in. If you compare halogen bulbs with these bulbs, halogens are shorter and the bulb radius tapers to smaller radius quicker as you go away from the rim of the bulb. I can see on this bulb where it is struggling to get into the downlight as it left a mark on the plastic... about 5mm from the rim. Why is any producer describing these as "same size" or retrofit for halogen bulbs when they clearly have a different profile shape and length?

To date we have read that the problem is bulb length, but that isn't necessarily the case. This bulb is simply too wide as you move away from the rim so cannot fully slot the bulb into the fitting so the wire clip can be employed.

Has anyone found reliable LED GU10 bulbs that will fit in JCC downlights? The only bulbs we could get to fit were LMS 4W bulbs, but those bulbs failed very quickly.

If Philips could just slim down the bulb casing a bit below the rim, these might be perfect given the otherwise positive reviews here.
Style Name: Single packVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We have so many of these lights in our house, both of this fitting and MR16. I have been methodically replacing them over a period of times based upon the room usage and quantity of bulbs, tempered by what I could afford at any one time! In order I have replaced 15 bulbs in our kitchen, 6 in the utility room, 6 in the family bathroom, 6 in our en suite shower room; these rooms get used the most with the lights switched on. Thankfully we have wall lights on the landing, hall and 1 bedroom.

I am in the process of replacing the bulbs in the two other bedrooms (6 in one and 12 in the other) our dining room (6) and downstairs bathroom (6). This is the very last GU10 for a spot above the wardrobe in our bedroom, the remainder being MR16. This bulb provides us with exactly what we need, a powerful beam of light, which is actually warm in colour; despite being advertised as such, not all of them are and thankfully at a reasonable price, although a bit cheaper would be better.

I have to say that we have purchased so many of these bulbs now that I feel qualified to say that whilst these items are more expensive than their competitors, they are the best. They are well made, fit perfectly, do not have sharp edges, light instantly and I have no doubt that they will last for the advertised lifespan, although we are nowhere near getting there yet. One of the things I did note with a much cheaper and now replaced competitor is that the bulbs will dim over time, not so the Philips. Our oldest is about three years old now and the light is as consistently bright now as the new ones. I would say though that once a year I do t clean the bulb lens, just those in the kitchen as they do get a film over them, which you would not notice with a halogen as you replace them every year or so, but with low ceilings in our cottage there is an accumulation of film formed from cooking which on a long life product should be removed - takes about two minutes to do them all with kitchen roll and a little window cleaning solution.

I cannot recommend these items enough. There is a budget version of these lamps, also produced by Philips and they too are very good so if your budget doesn't stretch to these, there is a very good alternative for considerably less.
Style Name: Single packVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a 5W energy saving bulb which replaces a 50W GU10 Halogen. At 1/10 of the required power, it is not only a great energy saver, but also noticeably cooler -- a substantial benefit because GU10s get so hot you really can't have them anywhere hands are likely to go.

This model is an update to the previous Philips Master 5W LED bulb. It's noticeably brighter -- we have the old one and the new one in the same fitting in our kitchen.

We live in a rural area where the electricity supply is a bit random, and LED bulbs don't tend to survive very well. So far, we have found that these Philips models have the best longevity, though, for us, that means that they have so far survived more than a year, rather than the typical 3-6 months we've been getting. If you have a stable supply, then these ought to last a long time, but with our erratic supply, we haven't found LEDs in as robust as the halogens.

The quality of the light is good, with a creamy whiteness which is a bit cleaner than the standard yellowness of halogens, though that also means it is very slightly 'colder'.
Style Name: Single packVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A very nice warm light comes out of these bulbs. None of the "cold" appearance of most LEDs. Also, you never know whether the equivalent wattage rating is accurate with LED bulbs - but it certainly seems these are as least as bright as a 50W halogen. Well recommended and uses a tenth of the power!

You save 2 money ways with these bulbs:

1) Lifespan - 40,000 hours means they last about 20 times longer than most halogens. This means that these bulbs are roughly the same price over 40,000 hours because you'd have to buy 20 halogen bulbs (a halogen usually costs anywhere between £1 and £2).

2) Electricity - with a kilowatt hour costing up to 22p with some energy companies these bulbs save 1p an hour (a saving of 45W). Usage of 5 hours a day therefore saves you £18.25 a year.

Long term these are great value - 40,000 hours? That's 400 quid saved by the time you're done with them, ignoring the cost of all the halogen bulbs you would have bought!!
Style Name: Single packVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have tried some cheaper dimmable LED GU10 spotlights, and was disappointed. Sure, you get an amazing reduction in power consumption and a long bulb life, but there are drawbacks, which this Philips lamp overcomes -- mostly. The bulb is exactly the same size as a standard halogen GU10, so is a straight replacement.

Drawback no.1 is the colour -- most LEDs produce a light that is far too blue-tinted for comfort, and quite different from the warmer colour of halogen lamps. Now this bulb, at full undimmed power, is pretty much the same colour as an undimmed halogen, and still gives full 50W-equivalent light but at only 5.5W. Well done, Philips.

Drawback no.2 is dimming -- most dimmable LEDs won't dim much before they blink out completely. But this bulb smoothly dims down to a low level. That's great. However, when you dim a halogen bulb, the colour warms (goes redder) as it gets dimmer, while the Philips LED keeps its normal colour, so do not expect a romantic effect as you turn the lights down low!

Here's the right technology, albeit at a higher price than other LED GU10 types. Let's hope the price comes down a bit, for a faster break-even as we save electricity, and enabling more people to afford these.