5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Return To Their Original Sound
'Tales of Us' is the sixth studio album from the seminal Goldfrapp.

Looking at the spread of reviews so far (not just on Amazon) it seems that this record has divided opinion and for a band that has expressed such eclecticism in their career this is not too much of a surprise. As a return to their original Felt Mountain sound fans of the more upbeat...
Published 10 months ago by Adam Finn

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
Its good in parts but just dull in places too and the the tempo doesn't change much throughout the album
Published 3 months ago by Mr. P Branley-Cook

‹ Previous | 114 15 16 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby please don't go (again), 13 Sep 2013
This review is from: Tales of Us (Audio CD)
Goldfrapp's first album, thirteen years ago, was a brilliant reinterpretation of bristol-style trip-hop, an absolute masterpiece.

Then Alison decided to turn into a bad copy of Madonna, making a series of bad, bad, baaaad records.

Now they're finally back! This new record in stunning, beautiful, hunting and unforgettable. If you love Felt Mountain, do yourself a favor a buy it right now!

Just please, now that you're back, don't leave again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, 9 Sep 2013
M. Knight (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tales of Us (Audio CD)
Once again, a terrific album from Goldfrapp. She never ceases to disappoint. After more upbeat Seventh Tree and Head First this is a return to the roots of Felt Mountain with dreamy, sleepy melodic tunes. You just wish she would sing this album to you for a good night lullaby!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good album, 3 Dec 2013
This review is from: Tales of Us (Audio CD)
To be honest, this is probably a 3.5 start album. It is good but not great. It starts excellently but gets a little pedestrian by the end. Still, it is well worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly........, 30 Nov 2013
This review is from: Tales of Us (Audio CD)
Having been a fan since "Felt Mountain" and "Black Cherry", I felt disenfranchised by the later albums. At last, a return to transcendent and iridescent music. So happy to connect with Alison Goldfrapp again!

2.0 out of 5 stars Lush, beautiful but ultimately forgettable, 10 Sep 2013
This review is from: Tales of Us (Audio CD)
Yeah, all very nice. Played it twice in the car yesterday and can't really remember anything about it. Nothing to match anything on the first 4 albums.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a lemon, 30 Nov 2013
Emteq "Emteq" (Down where the drunkards roll) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Tales of Us (Audio CD)
You spend 44 minutes expecting something to happen, the gears to change, the pace to pick up. It never does.

I understand this is a semi-concept album, a sort of homage to Holst's The Planets.

Maybe it works if you've taken mood altering drugs?

3.0 out of 5 stars A step back, 22 Sep 2013
This review is from: Tales Of Us (MP3 Download)
I love Goldfrapp especially, Black Cherry, Supernatural and Head First I think are their best work. Many people love Felt Mountain but I despite the fact I think is a great album sound very Ennio Morricone like. This latest one brings me back again where I can from, Italy, the sounds of Tales of Us just bring me back to my childhood where Italian divas were popular around Europe. I know that they were never popular over here but if ever going to come across to singers like Patty Pravo, Ornella Vanoni or Mina records from 70s and the years before are just full of sounds which are similar to the one you will listen in this Goldfrapp record. It seems they just decided to go back in time and come back with the music that made them famous around the world, the reason is because the pop music is now for people like Ryanna where the record are just strictly produced to make instant money. I miss the dancy Goldfrapp and the more experimental one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly wonderful. Even though I prefer their electronic output., 12 Sep 2013
This review is from: Tales of Us (Audio CD)
I tend to support by buying just their electronic output. Their folksy stuff is a definite no no. This on the other hand is different and wonderful.
I find Alisons haunting and beautiful vocals work perfectly with classic intruments. The art noir feel on this album is just right.
Annabel was the first track I fell for on this. Drew is a track I'm not so sure about. Allison on the Drew video made my jaw drop. She is a tidy bit of crumpet all right, but I had to look away on the other stuff. That's unless there was a two-up planned later on in the woods. Maybe on the 12" video version?
The song I bought the album solely for is Ulla. It's just beautiful. I love how the cello builds itself up and back down with the other strings.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tales of Uszzzzzzz, 20 Dec 2013
This review is from: Tales of Us (Audio CD)
Goldfrapp: great for glorious fruity harmonies and original, colourfully-conceived and sometimes even surreal electronic workings. So...

...where are these in this album? The ten songs on 'Tales of Us' sound mostly alike, chords are standard, predictable ones we've heard before ad nauseam. There are occasionally some clever electronic things going on in the background, but they're so subtle and almost invisible, that one wonders what the point is.

IMHO, this album adds little if anything to Goldfrapp's otherwise strong and distinct repertoire. We need something more original, stand-out and intelligently conceived than this rambling, dilute soup that's all heart, with surprisingly little musical brain.

Come on Will. and Alison, do your thang!

5.0 out of 5 stars Let me ride away..., 5 Oct 2013
This review is from: Tales of Us (Audio CD)
On white horses let me ride away,
To my world of dreams so far away
Let me run
To the sun.

To a world my heart can understand
It's a gentle warm and wonderland
Far away