Published 14 months ago by D. Mclaughlin

I've been using it for a little while working at home and the nib wears off fast. I have an older Intuos at work whose surface is smoother and I have drawn with the same nib for a year. Haven't tried the wireless function yet.
Published 2 months ago by Renate

5.0 out of 5 stars Wacom Intuous Pro Medium On PC Windows 7, Fantastic Bit of Kit., 26 Jan. 2014
D. Mclaughlin (UK, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wacom Intuos Pro Medium Graphics Tablet (Macintosh, Windows Professional) (Personal Computers)
The Wacom Intuous Pro was a purchase that I did not enter into easily. Whenever I buy anything over a certain price bracket I will always research it. I started by looking at peoples feedback on here. The star rating threw me and peoples negative/constructive feedback cast some doubt in my mind. I have used a friends Wacom Bamboo and Graphite over the years, I'm a Graphic designer so not everything requires me to use a Digital Tablet exclusively. However I thought it time to buy one for myself and invest some time into using it.

One thing that struck me about the reviews whether positive or negative. People never really stipulated what platform they had issues with the product on, operating system or what driver versions etc. So going to Wacoms forum gave me litle to go off in terms of resolving the issue (If I would have experienced any). Nobody wants to buy a product and have endless issues with it. However I took the plunge and I am so glad I did. I have had the Intuous Pro for little over a week now, not long enough to form a real opinion but wanted to log my positive experiences thus far. As I have used it every day for 5 hours + on a Branding Project.

So currently I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate, with all the latest updates. Below is a list of my system specs all running
the latest updates as of 26/12/14. I run AVAST Anti Virus in gaming/Silent Mode. The Wacom Drivers version is 6.3.7-6, this appears very stable and I have not had any issues to cause concern. One thing that I did notice was when I had the wireless kit running from a USB port around the back of my PC. The cursor stopped in CS4 illustrator, I was required to restart the tablet to get it functioning again. To remedy this I just used it on a front panel USB, not had the issue since. I have discussed this with a friend who has also had a similar problem. Had no problems of any sort just running on the USB cable. EDIT: I experienced the disconnection with the wireless kit issue on a number of occasions so posted on the Wacom forums. The problem has never occurred since. Basically I moved my PC case a little closer to my desk as the signal may have been getting blocked as I have all manner of electronics on there. Speakers, mobile phone etc.

System Spec:

Corsair 1200W CMPSU
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Dominator DDR3
Samsung 12X BDROM SH-B123L

The Tablet
The lovely build quality and the superb feel of its surface is stunning. As mentioned I have used a Graphite and a Bamboo previously but these were A5 versions. Functional and appropriate for the work I was doing but using a larger drawing area and a slightly textured surface is a huge improvement. Drawing feels much more natural as I can really activate the use of my elbow now and not rely on my wrist for drawing. Everybodies technique is different but I found a medium perfect for me. I use it on a Dell ultrasharp 24" monitor and they work well together.

Function Keys and Pen
Function keys have been left to run as default at the moment, I still find myself reaching for the keyboard as I'm a bit of a shortcut junky. However certain keystrokes can be added to the function buttons if required. I find that I have no real use for the touch feature (yet), possibly because I'm racing through a project at the moment and using the tablet purely for drawing out logos. Once I have more time to explore the other features maybe it will be a useful function. The zoom dial works well and I find it more accurate and much quicker to use keyboard shortcuts. After using keyboards shortcuts for 15+ years it is a hard habit to break.

The pen is a good weight and is textured beautifully. It is a little broad at the tip, something I'm not used to but it works well and I have adapted to it. It still allows you to apply a broad range of pressure though with ease. From delicate to a heavy handed sweep it delivers it accurately and with nil lag. I have large hands and think it would accomodate small hands just as well.

If you have considered buying one of these and have been deterred due to other peoples bad experiences, then definately take the plunge. Amazon are a great retailer and if you come across issues you can always return the product. There are so many different configurations and OS systems out there it is likely some will run into problems. It is an amazing bit of kit and has aided my production of logos and drawings within illustrator. I have yet to be let loose in photoshop. I do hope you find this somewhat long winded review of some use.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll never go back to a mouse!, 20 Jun. 2014
I was a reluctant convert initially, but was persuaded to put my mouse away and use a tablet for a few days, and soon enough I was hooked. The level of control, pressure sensitivity and convenience of the programmable buttons and zoom wheel opened up new dimensions of working with Lightroom and Photoshop - for photo editing and compositing. It is certainly worth spending a little time programming the buttons and pen switches to your most commonly used keyboard strokes. For example, programming the lower pen button to the 'Alt' or 'Option' button means you can switch between adding to and subtracting from a selection in Photoshop without moving your pen away from the work area. The buttons can also be programmed for PS shortcuts that need multiple keys - such as Ctrl+Shift+S for 'Save as'
The 'touch' capability of the tablet I probably don't use as much as I could or should - it doesn't seem as sensitive as a Mac trackpad, and although the wireless capability works well enough, but unless you really want to work well back from your monitor seems a little superfluous to me - the supplied cable is of adequate length, and when attached to the cable the pad doesn't go to sleep when not used for a few minutes as it does when running on its battery.
One niggle - despite trying a wider range of settings, I can't get the the zoom wheel to zoom on an image smoothly enough - the wheel on a mouse works far better, but it works well enough for changing the brush or cursor size.
Future improvements? As Photoshop has innumerable keyboard shortcuts, it would be great to be able to programme even more of them into the Wacom - eg by having an extended radial menu.
Verdict - I wouldn't even think of doing photo-editing without one - my mouse seems clunky and imprecise in comparison.
Try one - you won't go back to editing with a mouse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wacom intuos Pro Meduim, Special Edition., 26 Mar. 2014
This is the second Intuos I have bought, the first was in use since 2002 and needed updating and so decided to get this. From the use I have given it so far it's a lot smoother and more responsive than the older one and it works like a dream. Set up was quick an easy an the wireless addition makes a lot more user friendly. I highly recommend this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but not quite perfect, 23 April 2014
Bought this to upgrade from an older Aiptek tablet.

Great feedback from pen, senses even the most subtle pressure.

Good customization in the software and gestures mostly work well as does the touch-pad functionality. Multi finger shortcuts are also a great way to speed up workflow and customization options are great.

Minor niggles:

The pen must be about 2 cm + away from the tablet for it to sense gestures effectively so pinch and zoom with touch isn't always the best way but there is a touch ring to counter so not a deal breaker. Chances are you'll probably have the touch off whilst using it though I would probably recommend the one finger glove.

Also a shame that all the darker part of the tablet is not usable space and there is an "active" space within it.

All in all worth getting, quite portable fits snug in my 15.6" laptop case, has a great minimalist design and includes the wireless kit. Pen is fairly comfortable to hold and a set of nibs are included.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit better than Intuos 5, but with useless features for me, 14 Oct. 2014
I upgraded from a Intuos 5, so the touch controls looked like they'd be awesome, but they don't really help me much, since it's not that responsive and it's really difficult to use it with the same hand you're holding the pen. I didn't use the touch wheel or the side buttons even before, I do all the button pressing with my keyboard, since I use way more buttons than the tablet has, and I usually keep the tablet on the right side of the keyboard, making it more comfortable because both my hands are extended at the same length. Sometimes the pen freezes as if I'd switched to finger control and doesn't respond (even if touch control is off) and I have to move the pen away at least 30 cm and bring it back on the tablet to work again. But overall still the best item to have for a digital artist, indispensable, slick design, great pen pressure, nice material textures, the wireless kit is amazing (don't see myself not using one anymore). The only thing you can and should get if you're looking for a graphics tablet, apart for the cintiqs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does everything it's supposed to!, 20 Jan. 2014
Very prompt delivery, works perfectly. I would recommend a smaller one if you have a 15 inch screen or lower, as the medium is really big. It's a bit big (but still very good) with my 15.6 inch screen home laptop, but I know even going up to 17 inch and it's perfect. but I wouldn't recommend going larger than this, as even on a 26 inch mac the large is too big.

4.0 out of 5 stars Patchy when wireless. Perfect when wired., 12 Nov. 2014
Before going wireless the Intuos tablets were totally infallible. The wireless features on the Pro however make this device super unreliable. In wireless mode it's buggy, often lags and keeps cutting out while I work. When it's plugged-in it's perfect. Maybe an update can fix it. Also, the touch features are kinda half-baked so I turned them off and just use this like an Intuos4.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Tablet, 9 Oct. 2013
I have had a number of tablets, this is by far the best. Oozing quality as soon as you have it out of the box, functionality and ease of use excellent! The pen and wifi kit are included, all in a very neat package. Note the tablet active area is slightly larger than A4 - making the whole tablet very big!

3.0 out of 5 stars I have issues of placing it comfortably on the table because of this, 5 Jan. 2015
I don't really get why it's so large, taking in account the relatively tiny drawing surface. I have issues of placing it comfortably on the table because of this. Also it would be a nice touch if it had as little gaps between the parts as possible. I think those gaps are a design failure, because some dirt will eventually get stuck there. And I'm just taking the stars away so that they would think about these issues when designing their next series. Other than that- drawing with it is smooth and pleasant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing, 16 Dec. 2013
If you are looking for a professional standard, high quality graphics tablet then this is the one for you. I would highly recommend it.