5.0 out of 5 stars Social and Personal history at its very best!
The phrase "Couldn't put it down" truly applies to this book, and anyone who buys it certainly won't be disappointed.

Published 10 months ago by Wendus

2.0 out of 5 stars didnt enjoy
This was not a good book for me. Found it really long and boring I'm sorry to say it's got to be on of the worst books I've dowoaded
Published 8 months ago by dragon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Social and Personal history at its very best!, 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: Maisie Pops - 1913-1965: happiness, hardships, health and histrionics (Kindle Edition)

A true insight into the social and personal turmoils of the early(ish) 20th century, as related through the diary of a South London wife and mother, this read will, I think, make you realise just how easy we have it today. I doubt there's many young people who could survive the circumstances which this lady endured!

Lost loves, shortage of cash, the war years, families which blew hot and cold, plus a hint of class prejudice, all give this book the makings of a social classic, and I can almost guarantee that you'll want to read it from start to finish in one sitting. If you're a South Londoner, you'll probably be looking for the locations in your book of street maps too.

When this book is eventually published in paper form, available in every good bookshop and therefore on show to a much wider readership, I feel sure it will become one of today's 'must haves'.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating insight into how people really lived in this country at this time and how hard life was for ordinary folk., 13 Sep 2013
Well worth a read for those who like modern history and true stories. Very easy read and hard to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maisie Pops is well worth reading, 16 Oct 2013
I chose this rating as I enjoyed reading this book .and am pleased I bought it so that I can read it again
I can recommend it to anyone who likes an easy to read Autobiography of family life
Yvonne pilgrim

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming story, 24 Jan 2014
I really really enjoyed this book. It was an easy read and interesting to me because of the location of the story with the London origins. I could associate certain places to the ones where I lived when I was a child growing up in London. I bought it because I do know the author and really wanted to learn a bit about his background - where he came from - what his parents and family were like. I now have all the information to hand. However, even if I didn't know the author, the book made interesting reading. Well done Lewis on another great achievement in writing this book. I think I enjoyed this more than Redeeming Factor!

5.0 out of 5 stars None, 15 April 2014
A fascinating story which I really enjoyed reading, loved the descriptions of people and places. Wish I could read more by this lady.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maisie loved it, 10 April 2014
Beautiful story of gone times lovely read I actually started reading early evening I was so gripped by it I was still reading it at 2.30am well worth it tho

5.0 out of 5 stars A-Maisie-ing story, 22 Feb 2014
Lewis Adler is the nom-de-plume of a personal friend of mine. For the longest time I wasn't able to read this book because I didn't have a Kindle. Then I was told about downloading the free PC-Kindle app, so here we are: I've just finished reading about his mother's life and now I have a better sense of where my friend has come from. Since I was born and raised in Canada, there are certain things I would never have understood in full, without the personal historical viewpoint that Maisie Pops allows the reader to witness. It also helped me to confirm the pivotal life events of my friend's early years, something that is invaluable to an Astrologer, since most people have no recollection of what happened to them before the age of three.
If you want to know what happened since World War I in London and the surrounding districts, Maisie Pops is an eye-opener. You won't want to stop reading until it's done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maise Pops by Lewis Adler, 4 Jan 2014
Andrew Goloskof "proffski" (UK Glos.) - See all my reviews
Warm and though provoking. A magnificent journey through another persons life and experiences.
Well written and quite addictive, material like this just enhances my life.
A bargain even if the price had an extra zero after it.
I shall start on the next offering later in the month.
Above all, thank you for sharing, the humanity within is utterly sublime.
Andy G.

4.0 out of 5 stars A mother's diary, 15 Dec 2013
A diary is always a very personal look at life and surroundings, and this is no exception. I found it most interesting and learnt a lot about life in the 20's and 30's , especially the differences that advances in medicine and social welfare have made.
The return of a soldier from an extended period of absence to his family is well described, and inner family turmoils are not avoided by the writer.
I thought the book well worth reading, and I completed it in two sittings, which shows that my attention was captured throughout. Well done !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read from Lewis, 13 Nov 2013
Plenty of familiar locations throughout the book and many similarities with my own parents and other parents from this era.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›