5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any teacher!
Published on 23 Jun 2007 by Jack Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book but not for individual teaching
Excellent book - I bought it for my 7 year old on recommendation of his teacher but I found the exercises to be more useful in a group setting rather than on an individual level which is what I wanted.
Published 13 months ago by Claire

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any teacher!, 23 Jun 2007
I have Jumpstart for over 3 years now and it has been invaluable in my Literacy planning. The games are split into sections, some are quick, others need more time - but all of the games are wonderful. My class has several firm favourites, and I have been particularly happy with the spelling games, of which many are now being played at the children's home whilst learning their spellings for the week. Jumpstart games can be applied to any year group and I would recommend it to any Teacher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Useful!, 22 Feb 2005
By A Customer
Suitable for upper KS2 and secondary level, this is a great collection of literacy starters and warm-up activites. Many of the activities and games could be adapted for KS1 and lower junior. Corbett covers virtually every aspect of sentence structure and language use in this gem. He is an inspiring writer and his ideas have really livened up the start of literacy lessons in my year 5 class.
Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have book, 30 Aug 2007
I love it! The children in my class love it!

It is full of literacy starters and games to get children thinking. It fits really well with the Ros Wilson 2020 / Big Writing and the Literacy Hour.

I wouldn't be without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great literacy starters, 16 Feb 2009
This book is full of fantastic, short activities that are perfect for literacy starters. They can also be 'played' during any spare time you have (maybe a couple of minutes before lunch or at the end of the day). Suitable for all KS2 children (I teach y5), and could be easily adapted for younger children. I have noticed an improvement from all my children's sentence level work after playing a selection of these games for only a few weeks.

5.0 out of 5 stars pie corbette, 28 Mar 2009
L. Chilton (yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This book is brilliant, filled with endless games to play during every aspect of literacy. I bought it to go with Letters and Sounds to make the sessions more interesting..i would recommend this book to any one who works with children during literacy who require a few extra ideas on how to make learning more fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars You will wonder how you managed without one!, 5 Jan 2009
This is a must for ks2 teachers everywhere. This book provides a wealth of short games to start off your literacy lessons be in fiction, non fiction or poetry - sentence, text or word level work. The games really allow you to extend the childrens vocabulary and provide extra input into vital literacy skills in a fun way.
All NQT's should be given one! A wonderful book - the most regularly useful book i have bought for use in my classroom. Cant give it any higher praise. Mine is full of post it notes of all the activities i love and use regularly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy for the classroom, 28 Nov 2006
This has been a great classroom tool. It is easy read and has some great ideas. Some of them you may have already thought of, but on those rainy days when your brain just isn't working, it's great to be able to flip through the pages and find an inspiring starter. Or, in some cases the inspiration for a greta lessons; there are some lovely writing workshop ideas included. Great for 7-14's. A must have for every teachers tool box.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good starting point, 3 April 2007
SJSmith (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I've used a few of the activities in this book 'as they stand' and they have worked very well with my Y7-Y8 classes who are about Level 2 - Level 4.

I don't feel it is something you could refer to as an emergency 10 minutes before the lesson starts. I have to either incorporate the activities into schemes of work or refer to it the night before/morning.

Covers all range of literacy activities and is an excellent resource in that respect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal Resource, 23 Oct 2011
P. Husband (England) - See all my reviews
the head of the junior school was delighted with this classroom resource. However as I wanted it for one to one lessons in my case it wasn't appropriate.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent teaching resource!, 8 Jun 2011
An EXCELLENT "couldn't live without it" resource.

Once in a while a teaching resource comes along that it so amazingly indispensible that you just have to tell the world about it. This book is one of them.

I bought this to use with a mixed age class of Y5 and Y6 pupils at the beginning of the academic year 2007-2008. Admittedly, i didn't know exactly what i was buying (it was an Amazon - buy these two for X deal), however given the author i suspected that it would probably be quite useful.

I was wrong.
It wasn't just quite useful - it was amazing! The activities range from modern twists on old-fashioned consequences through to film based drama activities. It even has suggested activities for use when working on poetry.

Each activity is clearly explained, easy to deliver and most importantly fun and engaging.
Most activites are short and can easily fit into a morning registration period. I put some on the board as an early morning starter whilst we do the dinner register (in French of course!)

EVERY TEACHER SHOULD HAVE ONE!