5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous literature
Published 18 months ago by Winnie

1.0 out of 5 stars This didn't work for me.
I hardly ever give up on a book, once I've started, I finish but gave up on this one. I just couldn't get into it.
Published 14 months ago by Ellie

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous literature, 22 Oct. 2013
This book is simply great literature. Sometimes folk think that needs to be complicated and difficult: the wonderful thing about this book is that it shines with simplicity. It's essentially a love story but more importantly for me it raise the (important) question of 'ageism' in our world, and how all people - now matter how 'old' they are - can love and need to be loves. I have visited the Scottish Highlands several times and this novel made me fall in love all over again with the people, the culture and the landscapes there. Many books are mistakenly labelled 'classics'- for me what makes a 'classic' is a beautifully-written book which remains alive in your mind and heart after you've read it. It's a couple of weeks since I read this - twice - and the stories and characters have walked with me day and night since. Whatever else you read these days, read this gorgeous book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read, 17 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Girl on the Ferryboat (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely loved this book and couldn't put it down.
I found it easy to read-such beautiful prose.
I love the way the writer switches from personal experiences to detailed references and descriptions of objects and places.As I could identify with some of the memories & cultural identities in the book,I found the descriptions so vivid and real. Its a story of regret,love & loss and many times I had a tear in my eyes.Its also a wonderful mature emotional exposition of life and its ups & downs and coping mechanisms.
I can't wait to read his next novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Novel of Life and Love, 1 Nov. 2013
ACB(swansea) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Girl on the Ferryboat (Kindle Edition)
The narrator of this story is Alexander (Alasdair) from his perspective when an old man looking back on the lives and experiences that have affected him. As a young Oxford philosophy graduate, he is returning home on a ferry up the Sound of Mull. On a stairway he brushes against a young woman with 'dark, curly hair, and freckles and a smile as bonny as the machair'. For him, it was love at first sight. She speaks a few words to him. Her name is Helen, a Glasgow ecology graduate. He does not see her again yet she dominates his thoughts for decades. She is travelling home after visiting friends in Edinburgh. Her mind is preoccupied by the loss of her violin, a family heirloom. She talks to her mother about the violin and the drowning of her father when she was 5 years old. Mother says, 'When we lose something it always goes somewhere. Nothing ever just dissolves'.

His reminiscences cover periods between childhood and older age switching back and forth taking detours through others' experiences, particularly a couple in their 70's in everlasting love, trust and freedom, with 10 children, still with grandiose
plans for the future that they carry out. In his 60's Alasdair is on a ferry and brushes into Helen on the same stairway uttering the same words. Helen recognises him and the two embark on a journey to Helen's house as strangers, where they 'shared a few things and had excluded nearly all that really mattered'. Her exploits and life-story have already been told retrospectively in the narrative, flitting between past and present, before this strange coincidental encounter occurs, recalling Einstein's words, 'coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous'.

The author relates this story in gorgeous prose that draws real characters in depth set against graphic scenic depictions of the Western Scottish Isles. He tells of the protagonists' dreams, hopes, regrets and losses with their associated grief, all through memories and sometimes hazy recollections. We read that age holds no barriers, only death; grief holds no boundaries and 'something lost and then found only to disappear belongs to no one in the first place'. This makes for a wonderful and touching read full of challenging thoughts but foremost is thoroughly enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful writing., 23 Mar. 2014
I really loved the way this book is written. The writing flows well, the descriptions of the Hebrides are very poetic and vivid.There is a lot of food for thought in this book. It is not what you would call a gripping read, not that kind of book at all. It is the kind of book which you read a couple of chapters at a time. A gentle, thoughtful book, a book to be savoured like a beautiful sunset.
I found the characters didn't quite come to life for me, its only flaw, but Angus Peter is obviously an important Scottish writer with a lot to offer us, so I look forward to reading his next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, resonant writing, 14 Feb. 2015
Beautiful, resonant writing. Very much writing with the spirit of place, one can taste the salt air from the sea. What I love about this book is its exploration of the way love is experienced in maturity, and an almost- but- not- quite regret. Stunning!

1.0 out of 5 stars This didn't work for me., 10 Feb. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 Feb. 2015
Bought two more for my daughters!

3.0 out of 5 stars Campbell's Bio?, 13 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Girl on the Ferryboat (Kindle Edition)
I found the long list of Gaelic place names mind numbing. The tale itself was interesting. Felt the author was a bit self indulgent.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not my type of book. Really struggled to read ..., 1 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Girl on the Ferryboat (Kindle Edition)
Not my type of book. Really struggled to read this.

The Girl on the Ferryboat