5.0 out of 5 stars Enough to give an adult nightmares.
Published 15 months ago by bex taylor

2.0 out of 5 stars A short story made into a long book
I'm hard put to award two stars for this outing for DI Sean Corrigan. I read the previous book and found, in my review, that much of what I could say about this book is still with us, only more so.

Published 16 months ago by Michael Watson

5.0 out of 5 stars Enough to give an adult nightmares., 27 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Toy Taker (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
I only discovered Luke's second book in the DI Corrigan series at the beginning of the week. I read this one first as somebody wrongfully informed me it was the first, I loved it. I then went on to read the first and needless to say I became hooked, I downloaded The Toy Taker Tuesday and I finished it last night, I couldn't put it down, the storyline was fantastic, a little creepy too, I can imagine even more so for those with children of their own. if you haven't read any Luke Delaney yet I would HIGHLY recommend, you won't be disappointed, in some crime fiction I've read some of the stories can get a little far fetched but not with this one, the book constantly keeps you thinking and guessing.... brilliant is all I can really say. cannot wait for the next in the series, don't know what I'm going to read till then!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick to read, believable, crime fiction with plenty of pace and atmosphere., 27 Mar. 2014
JK "J. K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Delaney's experience as a police officer, ex CID, helps him add certain bits and pieces to what might otherwise be considered 'standard' crime fiction and take it to another level.

There's nothing particularly unique about The Toy Taker. This is crime fiction written to formula but; it's a decent read and lead character, DI Sean Corrigan, is certainly developing since his last appearance in The Keeper. The core of the plot surrounds the abduction of a child, four year old George Bridgeman, snatched from his home in the night with no sign of break in and little in the way of clues. Unfortunately for Corrigan he's still suffering the after effects of his last investigation and his 'coppers intuition' is way out of tune. The Cat and Mouse chase is leading nowhere when, suddenly, another child is taken and it seems worse is to come.

There's a nice feeling of being unsettled throughout this novel. The crime and police investigation are believable which makes it quite disturbing while the fast pace adds to the tension. There's nothing here that takes too much thinking about but I'd happily recommend The Toy Taker as quick to read and a decent crime fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am not a great fan of UK's detective fiction, 17 July 2014
rhosymynydd "liz" (west wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am not a great fan of UK's detective fiction. However, this book was so well written, and unusual that I found myself gripped from the beginning. DI Corrigan is a well portrayed, character detective. This wonderfully gripping novel has you on the edge of your seat, as a young child goes missing from his bed in a locked, alarmed house with his parents ad sibling sleeping soundly on....The parents were the first suspects - how could it happen??? where was the body they might have concealed- until another child goes missing. the intruder takes a favourite toy from the child and returns to the bedside with the toy to lure the child away "to a magic place", half-asleep, and so happy to be reuinted with their adored toy the child follows willingly.

Things heat up fast, as DI Corrigan is transferred from his local cop shop to Scotland Yard, forming a new squad for serious crimes but it comes with a heavy price. He and his whole team must make it work and fast or they will be broken up and sent to provincial police units to work on lesser uninteresting crimes. His new boss puts pressure on, expecting results in 48hrs...and the kidnapping continues. Meanwhile Corrigan's wife and children hate the new hours he is working so he is under stress form all angles. Will he survive? Read the book for this really hot-wired realistic UK detective up there with the likes of Mark Billingham's early work.

This is the third book in the series but I came in cold never havig read Luke Delaney before but the book is so well written it can serve as a stand-alone novel.Not to be missed by lovers of good crime fiction

2.0 out of 5 stars A short story made into a long book, 19 Feb. 2014
Michael Watson "skirrow22" (Halifax, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

It's boring, repetitive and hardly thrilling. Corrigan is a disorientated person, searching for someone to show him the way to solve the crimes. He even resorts to a priest to point him in the right direction.

Meanwhile, the kidnapper of small children is busy talking to his dead wife and, of course, God so we have pages upon pages of this very disturbed person's dialogue with non-existant forces. Sad, really.

The kidnapper carefully and expertly enters houses at night and abducts the child. In the first case, we are given a detailed scenario as he goes about his business. This is fine, we begin to see the man is at least good at something. However, we have the same detailed picture of every other kidnapping. You can skip pages and carry on where you left off, only to be met with more pages of dialogue with God.

As for Corrigan, he does his own thing, though not very well. Why he believes himself capable of visualising the inner mind of the criminal is at odds with the results. Any half-decent detective could have solved this case halfway through the book. Instead Corrigan swoops on a rather vile man feeling that htis is the kidnapper. He isn't and when finally we reach the rather soft finale, there is no mention of the original chappie and the part he is supposed to have played in the story.

Oh, then there's the AC Addis, Corrigan's boss. Either our police force is filled with people who are not fit for the purpose - as we are led to believe or this pantomime character is in the book just to appease those who have a thing about bobbies not working their way through the ranks. And then his family life. How and why he has one, I'm not sure.

After The Keeper, I was really hoping Luke Delaney would have upped his game. Sadly, not, so much so that I find myself not looking forward to the next release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner..., 13 Feb. 2014
Raven (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Having established himself on the British crime scene with Cold Killing and The Keeper , Luke Delaney once again delights and chills with the new outing for the wonderfully tortured Sean Corrigan in The Toy Taker…

Although on the surface, both in The Keeper and The Toy Taker, Delaney takes quite well-trodden themes of female and child abduction, he lifts his books out of the ordinary with the power and mesmerising interest created by his central character DI Sean Corrigan. In The Toy Taker, small children are being abducted from their homes, and with his team woefully under-employed, Corrigan and his team are redeployed at Scotland Yard as a Special Investigation Unit as the abductions increase. This is a great move by Delaney in the development of the characters in Corrigan’s team, as nothing winds up your average copper more than being in the full glare of the top brass, and the demands they place upon the team’s success. Delaney captures this tension beautifully throughout as we see Corrigan returning to mental and physical fitness after the events of The Keeper, and the tensions that arise through his recovery and the impact on the psychology of his team. Once again, we are immersed in the darkest imaginings of the incomparable Corrigan as he seeks to channel the thoughts and motivations of the abductor, and the personal mental anguish this produces in him. Thus the plot is punctured throughout with these glorious streams of consciousness by Corrigan, trying to think like and outwit this cruel and unusual abductor. On the road to discovery, there is a brilliant game of cat and mouse with a particularly insidious pervert, giving Delaney the chance to portray the frustrations so prevalent for the police in investigations of this kind. Again thanks to Delaney’s personal experience within the police, the feeling of authenticity and realism in this book is always resonant, making the whole premise of the investigation that much more vital and chilling, to the genuinely tense conclusion.

There is always the fear that as a writer becomes more established, that sometimes the quality of their writing, particularly within the demands of producing serial novels, can become diminished with the deadlines placed upon them. I am more than happy to report that Delaney is genuinely going from strength to strength, both in the compulsive attraction of his central protagonist, but also by the fleshing out of others within Corrigan’s team. As I said in the opening, child abduction is an all too common motif of crime thriller writing, but Delaney really does ascend the other pedestrian portrayals of this type of crime, with the day to day angst of, and the demands placed upon police officers, as the clock ticks against them. Through the ruminations and analytical mind of Sean Corrigan, who shows no compunction at fully entering the mind of the perpetrator, there is always an increased level of interest for the reader, that I’ve seldom seen bettered in the police procedural/serial killer genre. Delaney has produced another winner, begging the question- just what will he come up with next? A great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Once Again, 13 Feb. 2014
atticusfinch1048 - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The Return of the Brilliant DI Corrigan

Luke Delaney has written another brilliant crime thriller in the DI Sean Corrigan series and takes him to yet another level and more importantly leave the reader guessing all the way to the end of the book. With all crime novels we always get the who, what and the why, in this novel you have to discover whether those are answered fully and only you can make that decision.

The Toy Taker is six months on for DI Sean Corrigan from his previous outing in The Keeper and his team have not had any real action for those six months, still based in Peckham his team are happy but in serious need of some action and more importantly some overtime to help with the cost of London living. That is until Assistant Commissioner Addis decides they need to move to Scotland Yard and become his Special Investigations Unit, and he hands them a case that looks like a missing persons case and applies the pressure for the case to be solved quickly and quietly as possible, not everything goes towards Addis’ plan.

Someone is breaking in to houses at night, by being able to pick locks avoid alarms walk through the house and take a child, lock up behind and leave no trace of him being there. This someone is taking children from the rich and affluent of Hampstead and Primrose Hill and leaving nothing for Corrigan to use his skills to crack the case. With every missing child the pressure is cranked up on Corrigan even more so when one child turns up dead on the grave of a former Met Police Officer and VC hero.

Will Corrigan be able to crack the case from what little he has? What is clear that it is driving him to distraction he cannot focus and he cannot see any link between the abductions. He needs a lucky break and whether he can get it depends on what he can read from all the crime scenes and he is worried that he just cannot see what is in front of him.

This book is an excellent crime thriller which really keeps you on the edge of the seat and turning pages because you want to know who will succeed Corrigan or The Toy Taker. It is touch and go all the way to the end of the book and only then do you discover the answer, whether you are satisfied with that answer is a different matter.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 26 Mar. 2014
J. Walsh "joannejo90" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I did enjoy this book (if enjoy is the right word) maybe I was intrigued by the story line.

A poor child is abducted from his room in the dead of night, with no sign of a break in. Police are baffled but think that the locks were picked. This is just the start of a new case for Corrigan. Corrigan it seems is able to see the sceens of crime in his head. This adds a little more depth to his character

I think this was a great book well written. I have enjoyed a previous book by Luke and I am looking forward to reading the keeper. I know I should have read these in order but I cant resist a pristine book to read when it is in front of me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Taken?, 3 Feb. 2014
Belfast Dave (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I read Luke Delaney's previous two novels with glee. I was instantly taken by the character DI Sean Corrigan, and the fact that Luke Delaney in reality is/was an experienced and seasoned policeman first with the Met., and then CID, which brought his characters and plot lines a gritty reality, and helped them to stand out from the many police procedural/serial killer novels that I, in general, read. So I was more than a little happy to get my hands on this, his latest DI Sean Corrigan story.
I would like to say that I enjoyed 'The Toy Taker', and for the most, I did. However for me, it lacked the excitement and compelling addiction of his previous novels, and was so predictable that I didn't need to read the last few chapters to find out how it would end.
As far as story line's go, this is quite a departure from the first two books, and perhaps I was expecting more of the same. Which more than likely makes my lack of enthusiasm more of a plotline criticism, rather than any fault on the author's part.
I haven't fallen out with Luke Delaney or his brilliant DI Sean Corrigan character, and will read any of his forthcoming books. I just found "The Toy Taker" a bit lack-luster.

3.0 out of 5 stars Toys taken along with children, 18 Feb. 2014
Mrs. C. A. Troops (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A child is abducted from his bed as his parents and sister sleep. This is a child of parents that are well to do and live in a good area. There are no signs of a break-in and the police decide the locks must have been picked on the front door.
DI Sean Corrigan and his team get the case, just having been moved to Scotland Yard. this is their first case for six months.( this is the subject of an earlier book which you don't really need to read to understand this one although it helps)
Both Sean and his Sergeant were injured during their last case and his normal intuition seems to have deserted him, then another child gets taken.
The over ambitious Assistant Commissioner wants immediate results which don't materialise, obviously that was why Sean was moved to the Yard in the first place - so that the Commissioner could take the credit.
There is a lot of soul searching by Sean and by the perpetrator which can get a bit tedious, a good basic story and worth reading but not outstanding.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 2 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Toy Taker (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
Having read both his previous books and found them to be really good reads , I pre ordered this one .
What a disappointment , he appears to have changed from a winning formula , to a plodding frankly ludicrous plot .
The police are useless and by the end I just wanted to be finished with it .
I will be very wary about buying any more Luke Delaney books!