4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting ideas and intriguing story line
This book took me a long time (for me that is) to actually read. It was actually quite put-down-able.

Normally this is a bad thing. But oddly this book wasn't bad at all.

Published 19 months ago by A. Butler

3.0 out of 5 stars ok book
its okas book go not the best book i have ever read but passes the afternoon on the kindle etc
Published 13 months ago by Alastair Bowler

3.0 out of 5 stars ok book, 6 April 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars Annoying, 19 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Droid (Book #1 of The Androids Trilogy) (Kindle Edition)
Every so often there's a glimpse of someone who might be a good writer one day, but is not even close to being one now, despite the great opening action scene. Jolting 'plot' with lots of aimless running about and no believable characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting ideas and intriguing story line, 9 Oct. 2013
A. Butler "tanj666" (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Droid (Book #1 of The Androids Trilogy) (Kindle Edition)

Normally this is a bad thing. But oddly this book wasn't bad at all.

The story line starts out simple, an attempt to save some Android robots from intended destruction by their manufacturer. All nice and clandestine, with an underground and a big corporation.

But things take a nasty turn for the worse, and they don't appear to get better.

This book explores some of the ideas of a darker use of technology, more like Frankenstein complexes than the simple robot adventure it starts out as.

The characters are well formulated and stay true to themselves throughout the book which is nice. Even when their world is turned upside down they are still the same characters. There is even some actual honesty from a politician too! (Well, this is fiction after all)

The plot itself is actually quite wonderful too and very intriguing. I liked the way the few threads (and there are really only 4 threads to manage) were interplayed throughout the book until the end. These four basic threads I mention are the reason why I could put the book down so easily. Short chapters with no pointless suspense at the end of each. I could put the book down and pick it up later without feeling I missing anything by doing so.

I don't want to spoil things too much, but this is the first book I've read since some early Asimov Robot stories where the robots are the main characters not the humans around them. It makes for a refreshing change.

I liked the language used too, descriptive and colourful, describing the essential parts of the world in which the story is set.

The only thing I didn't like, and hence only 4 stars from me, is the excessive monologues.

The other negative feature is the formatting of the text on my Kindle which seemed overly spaced out for my liking, it looked like the whole text was double line spaced. But that's surely a technical thing that can easily be changed? I didn't deduct stars as it just meant more page turns rather than a lack of readability as such.

Will I buy more of this series? I'm not decided yet. Probably I will on balance though.

Droid (Book #1 of The Androids Trilogy)