on 9 February 2014
This is a six-core, hyper-threaded (effectively 12 core) CPU with quad-channel RAM, and double the PCIe lanes over the more common main-stream CPUs (such as the Haswell i7 4770K. It's a bit more expensive, but for some applications, this is a much better choice.

I prefer an E CPU for things like Photoshop, because having double the RAM bandwidth lets you manipulate ultra-large images (lots of layers) more readily. Quad channel RAM means you can get a 16GB configuration using 4GB DIMMs, which run at faster cycle times than 8GB DIMMs. An 8 DIMM motherboard can hold 32GB using 4GB DIMMs. Moreover, if you use 8GB DIMMs, you can get 64GB - something that's not possible with a mainstream CPU. Only an E CPU can address 64GB.

If you wanted to run two top-of-the-line video cards at their fastest, then an E CPU is the better choice, because it lets you run both cards at x16.

I built two machines using a 3960X and a 3930K, and they were fine PCs. The 4930K runs a bit faster than the 3930K, yet cooler - I have worked this CPU hard, and have never managed to exceed 40 degrees C (that's using a Noctua NH-D14 - recommended).
on 3 April 2014
Superb CPU. The six cores mean plenty of processing power for and need, and my particular one overclocks (on all 6 cores) faultlessly at 4.5GHz! There is no guarantee that yours will be as good at overclocking as mine, it varies from chip to chip, but I would be surprised if you didn't get a reasonable level of overclocking from this CPU.

I used mine in a custom PC build with an ASUS Rampage IV Extreme motherboard, 16GB of RAM and 2 Nvidia GTX 780 graphics cards. Works brilliantly!
on 29 June 2014
I decided on this processor when made the decision to upgrade from my 920 i7 quad core that I had been using for the last 4 years. I chose this cpu with a ROG Rampage Black Edition mb & I was not disapointed. All the processing power you will ever need but at a slightly higher cost, an expensive processor but worth every penny. Decided to get most of my build from Amazon & I was impressed with the super fast delivery & excellent customer service I have received for all the parts purchased.
on 2 January 2015
I bought this to make my own PC. This was the highest spec chip for the money I wanted to spend. I get 7.9 on the Windows 7 test and that's as standard ie not overclocked. I haven't tried overclocking yet as I don't need it. I have the capability however with the MB reviewed separately.
It handles video editing really fast which was my prime reason for changing my PC.
on 8 December 2013
Use it mainly for video editing and can handle the 50fps HD with ease. Am running windows 8.1 and 64GB of RAM and mainly CS5 and it is extremely fast.
on 19 December 2014
This cpu is amazing so so fast. I decided to skip 4th gen consoles and build a gaming pc with this at the centre and I am amazed at how good it is. It stays nice and cool even under load and as a previous reviewer has stated I have also been able to overclock to 4.5 and it still remains very stable.
on 30 March 2014
This is a wonderful CPU for those who need it or would benefit from the perks of the extra cores. The thermal performance of these chips is reflected wonderfully by the price; the die is soldered onto the IHS, meaning that there is increased thermal conductivity between the surface and the external heatsink being used. I can run this chip at 4.6GHz easy with an air cooling Hyper 412s with dual Noctua NF-F12 push-pull method running at ~300rpm and the temperatures rarely rise above 45c.

This is a chip I would recommend to anyone who knows where and when this would be useful, and would say to people that unless you will trully use its features, save the money and stick with the Z platform, you will likely get the same performance in the things that you do.
on 6 December 2013
coming a from AMD and having a 4 core to 12 is great. i have had no problems with this cpu is handles it's self really well and is super easy to overclock, excellent for workshop and rendering.

if u do a lot of cpu heavy work it is a must buy
on 4 July 2015
I have had this for a year now in a system based on an Asus X79-Deluxe board runing overclocked at 4.05 GHz, it was higher (4.35 I think) but became unstable when video rendering so slowed it down a little. It has been perfectly stable since.
on 4 August 2014
Fast delivery, arrived on time. Worked perfectly. Second machine I have put one of these in. Rock solid and unbeatable performance.