5.0 out of 5 stars THE THIRD CD IS WORTH THE PRICE.
Published 7 months ago by Bradley S Martell

1.0 out of 5 stars Vinyl rip rip off!
Having bought this album elsewhere, I wish I’d read the reviews on here first!

Published 9 months ago by Customer Feedback

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Vinyl rip rip off!, 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: 12" 80s Club Classics (Audio CD)
Having bought this album elsewhere, I wish I’d read the reviews on here first!

I’ve bought a few of these 12”/80s collections over the years and thought that many of the early releases were really well compiled with a good mix of crowd-pleasers and a few rarities throw in to appeal to the collector. However, I’m staggered to see that there are several 5 star reviews of this album when the sound quality is so unbelievably poor. As other reviewers have noted, this is due to the fact that several tracks have lazily been ripped from vinyl with no attempt to edit out the clicks and scratches. Why include a vinyl rip (e.g. ‘I Feel For You’) when digital copies are available on several other compilations? House tracks on Disc 3 (e.g. ‘Jack Your Body’) suffer worst from this and, from the opening bars of ‘Love Can’t Turn Around’, you’ll be astonished that this ever passed quality control. The fact that someone actually thought "That's good enough for our customers!" warrants giving this album a 1 star review! If you’re really not bothered about sound quality and are happy to tolerate clicks and scratches on worn out vinyl, then go ahead and buy this; if you want something with a purer sound, then check out any of the albums from Ben Liebrand’s excellent Grand 12” series over the past decade. At around £20 for a 4 cd collection, they're much better value than this rip off.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE THIRD CD IS WORTH THE PRICE., 23 May 2014
Bradley S Martell (calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 12" 80s Club Classics (Audio CD)
I LOVE THE EIGHTIES. WHAT I LOVE EVEN MORE IS THE MID TO LATE 80'S WHEN HOUSE / HIP / ACID HOUSE CAME OUT. I PURCHASED THIS ENTIRE COLLECTION FOR--S-XPRESS- HEY MUSIC LOVER--THE SPATIAL EXPANSION MIX. tHIS MIX IS AVAILABLE ONLY WAS VINYL. WHEN I SAW -THE SPATIAL EXPANSION MIX -- ON THIS CD COMPILATION, I IMMEDIATELY PURCHASED THIS. CD 3 ALSO HAS OTHER GREAT HOUSE / HIP SONGS.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ruined by crackly vinyl and poor sound quality, 14 April 2014
This review is from: 12" 80s Club Classics (Audio CD)
The idea is a good one, the execution was a bad one.

Many of these are poor quality vinyl transfers, it's not acceptable in these days where there is readily-available computer software for removing clicks and noise.

A couple of the tracks sound okay, like the S'Express. But that's about it. Atrocious quality control overall.

I would urge people not to buy this, it's an utter disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 7 Oct 2013
This review is from: 12" 80s Club Classics (Audio CD)
I just can't stop listening to this. The 3 CDs are split into early/mid/late eighties - the remixes are good, sound quality excellent and selection of songs is brilliant.

I would say this is the best of the 12"/80s collection so far!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellence from the 12" 80s team again!, 2 Sep 2013
This review is from: 12" 80s Club Classics (Audio CD)
I have been collecting these 12" 80s albums since the beginning, being a child of the 70s, my musical penchant has always been the 80s.

CD 1:
From the opening bars of The Adventures of Grandmaster Flash on the Wheels of Steel, stealing scraps and riffs from a hugely eclectic mix of influences (including my fave - Another One Bites the Dust), a glorious mix of I Feel For You, which never seems to have been available on the UK 12"s, through another Arthur Baker produced masterpiece "Walking on Sunshine" by Rockers Revenge, and reminding me just how good the original SOS bands "Just Be Good To Me" really was, this disc covers the earlier 80s club tracks perfectly.

CD 2:
Moves on from above, covering mid 80s classics, Feel So Real, filling spaces on the dance floors of the day, Cameo being (She's) Strange as ever, and ending with yet more Arthur Baker classic production Neneh Cherry's Buffalo Stance.

CD 3:
Follows the trend and moves to the later stages of the 80s, Mantronix's mad house anthem bigging it up front, Bomb the Bass Beating Dis drum as supplied by a lot of samples (although I think this may be a slightly cut down, resampled, more copyright friendly version than I remember. I will have to refer to the original 12" to check) the pounding early house of Darryl Pandy on Love Can't Turn Around, and a surprise appearance for an early Stock Aitken Waterman lost classic Sydney Youngblood's "If Only I Could", closing out with a couple of acid house classics courtesy of Ten City and S-Express.

on the whole, a nicely nostalgic jaunt through the classic 80s dancefloors.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Compilation Spoilt by a few poor Vinyl Rips, 11 Sep 2013
This review is from: 12" 80s Club Classics (Audio CD)
I purchased this CD with high hopes, but alas it wasn't the top notch audio quality I was hoping for. For the most part the songs sound crystal clear and are great quality, but some - namely "I Feel For You", "All and All", "My Magic Man" and "Love Cant Turn Around" are vinyl rips and not good ones at that. If in doubt listen to track two Disc 1 on the preview tracks and this confirms that the Chaka Khan track sounds distinctly "gritty" and distorted and isn't a bad disc. (Go seek out a Ben Liebrand Grand 12 inches disc if you want this one in pristine quality.)

It just smacks of laziness when compilations are put out with Vinyl rips when a clean digital version exist - certainly this is true for the Chaka Khan and Darryl Pandy tracks. So on the whole if Vinyl Rips annoy the hell out of you but you don't care about the tracks mentioned above then please go ahead and buy. If you are buying this CD because of the inclusion of the tracks above - be prepared to be disappointed. Personally I only bought the CD for the last track - S'Express Spatial Expansion Mix which I'm glad to say is a good transfer, so for that I gave it three stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars If I wanted vinyl copies, I would have bought them on ebay., 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: 12" 80s Club Classics (Audio CD)
I've NEVER before returned a CD simply because it sounded average, but I would have definitley returned this if it weren't for being fully charged for the Auto Rip thing (nice little scheme there Amazon).

Many of these tracks are transferred from vinyl, and not very well at all. If tapes absolutely aren't available (which I find hard to believe for many of these tracks) then vinyl transfers can sound good as an alternative IF remastered and restored well. However, the tracks that are from vinyl just sound horrid. In fact, I suspect the tracks not from vinyl are simply from original CD singles or other CD compilations. Don't major record companies bother retrieving tapes any more? (actually, I know they don't)

The track list is ok, but seriously, the sonics of this CD is rubbish, especially noticeable when listening to a track from vinyl followed by a track which is not. The difference is like watching a VHS compared to Blu Ray.

The majors are really screwing up reissues and comps. This is a good example of just how bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars CD, 10 Nov 2013
This review is from: 12" 80s Club Classics (Audio CD)
This was the next one to the list and it is a great set of 12" tracks. 10 out of 10 let have more of them please.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 Oct 2014
This review is from: 12" 80s Club Classics [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
A good blast from the parst

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Nov 2014
This review is from: 12" 80s Club Classics (Audio CD)
was very pleased with this

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›