5.0 out of 5 stars Great life planning book
This book is about adopting a business mindset when planning and evaluating your life. It's full of great concepts that would appeal to those who would like to achieve more in life. If you are already a business person, then it is possible that you already apply a business aproach to your own personal life. The advantage of using this book (or the method in it) is that...
Published 12 months ago by Happyfamily

3.0 out of 5 stars Reader Friendly
Not too heavy as 'Self help" books go. Was able to get through it in a few hours and it made good sense and several concepts could be applied to areas of life outside work. Reader friendly format - text spilt u with good use of sub titles and diagrams. 10 step programme underpins to the book and chapters and allows you to dip back in where you need to.
Published 12 months ago by M. de-layen Vian

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, 11 Jan 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was far better than most of the self-help books that I have read (damning with faint praise I know)
It is quite well written and detailed. The author is actually a success in something other than writing self-help books which again is not common.
A lot of the content is familiar but much of the advice is quite helpful.
Not an essential read by any means but probably not a total waste of time either.

4.0 out of 5 stars useful..., 10 Jan 2014
Clarke (Linlithgow, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm well read on this stuff and I like this book. There aren't any big surprises in the book, for me, but the value of the book is that you are guided to think about your life. That's valuable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly refreshing, 4 Jan 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This proved to be a much better read than I'd expected to be honest, as I was getting a bit jaded with a lot of 'business' books these days being much of a muchness.

The interesting thing about this book is that it outlines how to apply business theory [plans] to your wider personal life which is very interesting, as most self-help/business books these days seem to want to promote the reverse. It's a well written book that's also refreshingly jargon-free. Worth a look.

4.0 out of 5 stars make plan, wear plan, and fly, 3 Jan 2014
Don Panik (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book takes a fairly simple idea - applying business planning methods and applying them to your personal life. This is hardly a new idea but this one is nicely produced, leading you though a series of exercises that help you to assess your personal goals and objectives, and measured steps to their achievement. This is not going to set the world alight with great new insight, but I am pretty sure if you followed this through rigorously you would be much more likely to get to successful outcomes (a bit like business really). This is quite large physically - bigger than most self help books, and there is plenty of food for thought, and could help you be more pro-active (rather than reactive) in your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the label, 1 Jan 2014
D. P. Mankin (Ceredigion, Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In many respects this management self-help book ticks all the right boxes: fluently written, well formatted, clear underpinning model (in this case a 10 step plan) etc. But therein also lies the rub. It feels a little bit like a designer-led book, one that has been written by numbers. Of course an alternative perspective is that adopting a good practice model for the writing and design of the book simply makes sense. Which means I do need to give credit for clarity and simplicity, and a job well done.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but a bit to business like for me, 5 Dec 2013
Manda Moo (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been reading a number of books about life planning recently and have found information in each one which has been interesting and useful. The Personal Business Plan "does what it say on the tin", it approaches creating a life plan from a fairly dry business like view point. I'm sure this would suit someone who is very left brained and not particularly creative as some bits of the book felt very deliberate and logical and so would suit and person who enjoys following instructions and setting targets but was a little dry for me. I prefer the books which have been a bit more creative and based around visualisation to reach the same goals.

In summary this book would suit people who like the idea of a personal business plan as an approach and so for that reason I have given , although it wasn't my cup of tea, I have given it 4 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reader Friendly, 3 Dec 2013
M. de-layen Vian "M5dlv" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting book for planning your life, 3 Dec 2013
Birmingham Book Reader (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book takes buisness planning to the readers personal life.
There are helpful excercises that set goals for improving someone's life.
Giving a plan for the readers life and goal. Setting things in order as it were.
I like to set goals anyway and have found this book helpful.
Although I have done things like this, goal setting problem solving etc in my work life - this is the first time tried it with my personal life.
So much of the information will be familar to someone who has been involved with goal setting and problem solving at work. The new thing is to use this ideas at "home".
Will suit someone new to this idea or someone not too sure on how they wish to move their life forward.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Personal Business Plan, 27 Nov 2013
Markie "marx1977" (hereandthere) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this book quite an interesting read as I like the idea of focusing my life goals and acheiving them in a business plan format. It isnt stuffy and pretentious but a rather engaging read and well written. There are 10 chapters that break things down such as "What is My Situation" "How Can I Thrive" "What is My Personal Business Plan" ...there are others. I just found this book motivational and uplifting. A good read to get your creative juices flowing....

4.0 out of 5 stars A great idea and a great book, 18 Nov 2013
josie82 (Fife, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was very interested in this book as I enjoy organising things and am always on the lookout for new self improvement ideas or books.

It is a basic but interesting concept - treat your life like you would a business and plan. The fundamental fact, so says the author, is that once you know where you're going, it's fairly simple to get moving and get there. It's deciding where you want to go that is actually the difficult part.

There are exercises to go along with the book. They have pages at the back with the blank copies of the exercises or you can also download them by visiting the personal business plan website. I did this and it was an easy process and meant I didn't have to write in my book.

The book has 10 chapters in total. These are: 1. What is My Situation? 2. How Can I Thrive? 3. When Do I Perform at My Best? 4. What Energizes Me? 5. Where am I on My Personal Journey? 6. How Do I Become Happy? 7. How Do I Reinvent Myself? 8. How Do I Differentiate Myself from Others? 9. What is My Personal Business Plan? and 10. What Have I Learned?

At first I thought the writing style was a little businesslike but as soon as the introduction was over, the book really got going. Each chapter is broken into little sections and snippets using different colours, small graphics, lists, quotes and stories. It means that even leafing through the book, it doesn't look intimidating and it makes you want to dig in and read.

I also liked the fact that there is a list of the figures and tables contained in the book. It's nothing major but sometimes you just want to have a quick link to specific parts of the book and this gives you an easy reference guide.

I really liked the concept of the book, the execution and how it really does make you feel more positive about the challenges ahead. These kind of books aren't miracle workers, but if you've got the right attitude and you feel that the time is right but want some words of advice - I would recommend this book to you. 4 stars.