4.0 out of 5 stars Diffi Cult 2nd album done and dusted!, 8 Nov 2013
Mr. R. Deoraj "JohnnyD" (England, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Static (Audio CD)
I'm a huge fan of their debut album and I still revisit it over 2 years after it's release.

So unique an album and the band themselves exuding a unique mystic that I wasn't sure how a follow up would pan out, so I was a bit unsure when I finally got wind of this 2nd album. After a listen to the first, I just had to get this.

It took a few listens to bed in (the first album hit the bulls-eye at the first listen) but I can safely say that they have delivered again.

If like me you loved the first album, you will not be disappointed. Same wall of sound effects and dreamy vocals but with an added maturity and fleshing out of their sound.

The only reason I've given this 4 stars and not 5 is that the vocals are somewhat in the mix, covered in, well, static! The vocals in the first album are out front and you could really connect with the bittersweet lyrics. On this album you're really need to tune your ear pick up the lyrics.

That aside, a worthy 2nd album. If you're new to the Cults. Buy the debut album first before buying this. If you've got the debut, buy this too.

I'm really intrigued by the thought of a 3rd album in the future however I did read somewhere that this duo were a couple whose relationship has now ended, albeit the band remains. Is the last we will hear of Cults? Fingers crossed it's not!!

4.0 out of 5 stars "Alone, together"... and even better in concert!, 9 Sep 2014
Paul Allaer (Cincinnati) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Static (Audio CD)
I recently saw Cults in concert (more on that later). Cults is an indie-rock band (albeit on a major label) out of New York. The band was started by real life couple Madeline Follin and Brian Oblivion. They broke up after the band's first album a few years back. They nevertheless decided to carry on and stay both in the band, and apparently the break-up provided fertile ground for new songs and material. "Static" is the band's second studio album.

"Static" (11 tracks; 35 min.) starts off with a short, angelic-sounding "I Know", only then to crash in with the guitar-heavy "I Know I Can Make You Mine" while Follin's vocals keep swirling in and through the guitars, wow. The biting "Always Forever" follows (with lyrics such as ""You and me/Always forever/We could stay alone together", ouch!). "High Road" spotlights the ban's musical growing chops and sounds fantastic. Later in the album, "Keep Your Head Up" is another highlight, with a dreamy atmosphere which matches Follin's lead vocals perfectly. The album closes with the self-explanatory "No Hope", wow. It's hard to imagine to carry on with an ex in the band, and even harder to see a whole album written about it. Doesn't make the album any less appealing, though, perhaps on the contrary. At just over half an hour of running time, this album flies by in no time.

I recently saw Cults in concert at the Bunbury Music Festival here in Cincinnati. They played a late afternoon/early evening set on the Main Stage, and while I was absolutely mesmerized, the huge crowd got a bit restless as they didn't get the dance songs they were hoping/expecting to hear. I say, go see these guys live if you get the chance, you won't be disappointed (and check out the interaction on stage between Follin and Oblivion!). Meanwhile, "Static" is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Static
Static by Cults (Audio CD - 2013)