4.0 out of 5 stars thorough but in specific directions
Published 11 months ago by John Nunn

1.0 out of 5 stars Not really publication standard
Disappointing, this seemed to be more of a set of printouts from a website, than a useful, informative manual. There IS lots of information in the book - but it's simply in the wrong format for the medium.
Published 13 months ago by The Penguin

4.0 out of 5 stars thorough but in specific directions, 16 Jan 2014
John Nunn (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
SharePoint is becoming so ubiquitous in various implementations that really a specialist guide for each flavour is needed. I handed this off to my other half to get to grips with the subject, but she was soon bewailing that she could not use most of the examples because it required a traditional onsite SharePoint installation (and we didn't have a spare server, since we use the online version via Office 365). Unfortunately the nuances of the current Office 365 flavour of SharePoint don't seem to be fully explained anywhere- which is a shame. Ultimately the conclusion was that this would be a valuable book, but only if you went in the direction in which you were being herded.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction for power users/designers or developers, 11 Jan 2014
P. McCauley - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I thought this was a great introduction to SharePoint 2013 Branding and UI. I found it nicely laid out (I guess you should expect that from a book on UI), and an enjoyable read. As a developer starting into doing some SharePoint development this was a nice overview of the options available.

It touches on the main topics from an 'out of the box' perspective, moves into some more advanced topics such as editing Master Pages, and also has a chapter to get you started on branding Apps which are brand new to this version of SharePoint.

You will need to already be aware of what SharePoint is and have a basic knowledge of how to use it, and will also need some basic knowledge of web technologies to get the most from this book. Also, even though it is over 400 pages long I would consider it an introduction since the SharePoint platform is so big, but for many people this will be all the information they need to get started.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellence practical reference guide, 19 Dec 2013
H. Eaton "Helena Eaton" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is a very useful, comprehensive guide to branding in Sharepoint 2013. Easy to follow, with clear illustration and real world examples, it's an excellent reference resource. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's (almost) all about appearance, 19 Dec 2013
Steve Benner "Stonegnome" (Lancaster, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Sharepoint is Microsoft's collaborative application development platform, designed to provide an integrated set of web technologies supported by a common back-end technical infrastructure. Acting in concert with the company's various Office products, It is intended to enable the provision of a whole series of collaborative work space types - internet portals, document and file management environment, extranet, collaboration environment, meeting management, etc -- with minimal development work.

Sharepoint can -- and indeed is intended to be -- used 'straight out of the box', with full and unfettered functionality available at all times and rapidly configurable through built-in libraries of site templates. Whilst this approach allows for maximum leverage of the product, the package's inherent complexity and the need to understand the entirely non-intuitive back-end database and work-flow paradigms make for a steep learning curve for any developer new to the product pretty much regardless of background. Unfortunately, the same steep learning curve is often imposed on end users of Sharepoint sites because by default these are so feature-rich and confusing to navigate; just about the biggest challenge for the Sharepoint site developer is to produce a site that is not so complicated to use that would-be users are immediately frightened away by its impenetrable array of options. Not for nothing has the product been renamed 'Scarepoint' by most users in the trade.

Enter, then, "Sharepoint 2013 Branding and User Interface Design" by Randy Drisgill, John Ross and Paul Stubbs. Despite the way it is presented and marketed, this is not a beginners' book to Sharepoint, largely because it does not dwell at all on the scope and applicability of Sharepoint, nor does it spend any time explaining its underlying operational paradigms. Rather it concentrates on how to manipulate the look and feel of a Sharepoint site, shaping its appearance to better match the functionality that is required -- an aspect of Sharepoint application development that has largely been the preserve of the advanced Sharepoint professional up until the release of Sharepoint 2013. The book is therefore of value to any developer of collaborative web environments looking to exploit the power of this ready-made solution whilst maintaining full control over the user interface that it presents.

In keeping with its subject matter, the book is no light read. At over 400 pages in length and using a tightly-packed font for the main body of the text which is quite a challenge for old eyes, the authors pack in a substantial amount of material, covering just about every aspect of appearance design and customisation available within Sharepoint - and these days that's a lot of material! Far from being turgid though, the material is highly readable (if you can see it) and remains firmly grounded in practical real-world applicability whilst providing lots of examples and hands-on practice material, with plentiful illustrations and figures to break up the reading.

So, if you've ever struggled to try to make Sharepoint sites look less like Sharepoint and more like something that you would actually be prepared to share with anyone, this is definitely the book for you. It should probably become an essential part of every serious Sharepoint developer's arsenal of support materials for creative and usable site development. If you are wondering what Sharepoint does, though, and whether or not it is the right tool for your next web project, you'd do better looking for a different sort of book in the first instance, such as "Beginning SharePoint 2013: Building Business Solutions" or "SharePoint 2013 For Dummies".

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to design with SharePoint, 5 Dec 2013
R. Tait (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a web designer who had come to SharePoint to help out with branding and styling, and I've found this book very useful. Firstly, it's a good roadmap around SP terminology ('web part!' 'Master Page!'). There's a lot of basic stuff about planning, branding and introductory css, but seeing this applied in a SharePoint context is helpful.

For me, the most useful section is spelling out of the key areas of SharePoint, and the corresponding css.

I'd recommend this book for both front end devs working with SharePoint for the first time, and (probably) SP Pros stepping into branding and design for the first time. It's readable and a good reference guide. There's a wealth of information online, but I'm glad to have had a good intro, all in one place.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reference guide to Sharepoint, 5 Dec 2013
David A. Nash "Nash aka Taker" (Chesterfield) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Whilst the majority of the book is available from various sources on-line. The design aspects and layout has a great section to help design exactly as you want it.

I find whilst developing design your wanting your screen all the time and I prefer not to have to keep looking online for bits so the book will come in very handy when we get to that part of our project.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a 'Waffle' in Sight !, 28 Nov 2013
Duncurin (Manchester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A perfect book for anyone wishing to get to grips with the length and breadth of what seems to be an amazing programme.
Firstly, the book itself is beautifully set out with nice summaries, clearly defined statements for each chapter and the size is perfect for a manual of this type. Although the text font size is a teeny bit small it's beautifully laid out and one can assimilate the information each chapter and section contains easily.

The modern NHS generates a vast array of information, some comes in the post, some by email and some arrives in the form of lectures and structured learning. The difficulty is not only keeping up, but also finding that piece of paper that tells you the clinic times of the ear-syringing service or which drugs have just gone on the amber list and should be avoided if possible or more simply the specific blood tests that need to be taken before a patient will be seen in the specialist liver clinic. I was very keen to create an intranet, perhaps stored in the cloud so that it would be accessible all of the time and use this to load up information as and when I came across it. I thought about One Note for this and more recently Sharepoint. As regards the latter in particular, the more I read the more impressed I became and I realised that it would not only be more than capable of creating an Intranet for myself and my partners, but it could be easily expanded for use in other areas/hobbies that interest me.

Though ultimately I realised that one would need more skill than I possess to utilise a programme like this to its fullest advantage; and though I suspect that I will for now settle for One Note - do not let this dissuade you. My knowledge is pretty basic for instance and my only experience of HTML is when I convert Word files so that I can publish my books to Kindle and as for CSS - well, that's something I had to Google!
The most wonderful thing about this book is that it has given me a thirst to develop my knowledge and skills so that perhaps one day, one day soon I may aspire to start work on my own Waffle Net.

For those of you with more experience with HTML and who already knew what CSS are then I suspect this book is just about perfect. Until then, many thanks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably for the more advanced user, 13 Nov 2013
P. Potter - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a beginner to SharePoint and its set up I found this book too technically advanced. For the elements I did understand it was concisely written. It's a book that I will keep and hopefully make better use of in time. I'm sure more advanced users would enjoy reading it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not really publication standard, 21 Nov 2013