Published 7 months ago by alapper

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor book. Boring...
Dumped this book after about 6 chapters. Did not like the detailed nature of his description of his sex life.
I am no prude , 10 year's in the navy ensured that. However I hated his reference to ' penetration ' etc
His revelations of political events did not ring true to me.
Very disappointed.
Published 29 days ago by C. A. Moreland

5.0 out of 5 stars Revealing and honest - sometimes intensely so. A very impressive autobiographical work, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: Chance Witness: An Outsider's Life in Politics (Kindle Edition)
I always thought of Matthew Parris as a gay ex-politician turned to media pundit - something like Michael Portillo, but after reading this I am considerably more impressed even though this book tells very little of his very adventurous life. He is clearly something of an explorer. At the start he tells of time spent on Kerguelen Island and from hints dropped he has climbed a number of mountains and is exceptionally well-travelled. He was born is Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) and his early life was spent in Africa. He is obviously very fit, and is a strong long-distance runner. However this book focuses mainly on politics and his crusade to encourage a more general acceptance of homosexuality in the country - which started at a time when attitudes were very different from today. His overall honesty is sometimes very intense - such as the tale he tells of being tied up while a girl he was travelling with was raped. There are other times when the word spinning gets a bit tedious. However I was considerably more impressed with the book by the time I had finished it than as I started it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor book. Boring..., 22 July 2014
C. A. Moreland (Scotland) - See all my reviews
His revelations of political events did not ring true to me.
Very disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it and read slowly, 27 Feb 2014
A lot of good stuff here on all sorts of things relating to his life in Africa and UK; Politics and Journo.
This book is very well written as one would expect and I will now seek out other writings of his.
He is honest and seems to be giving us the whole truth on many things that happened to him.
I came across this thru a recommend in The Week by their author of the week.