Format: DVD|Change

on 5 December 2013
I had the pleasure of meeting David Arnold in Soho. I was over the moon meeting the Bond composer but then couldn't believe my luck that Matt Berry was with him. After speaking to Mr Arnold I asked Mr Berry "any more snuffbox" Mr Berry replied "I've got something coming up". That was in 2012 and after the best pilot of the channel 4 comedy showcase this got a series. It is sureal to an extent but hilarious. We have a infamous Bruce For-syyth episode. We have Toast and an embarassing escort situation and for me one of the best James Bond spoofs with Mr Arnold involved and a great opening title sequence with the brilliant Michael Ball sending himself up as a villain. I hope that Arthur Mathews and Matt get a second series (man down gets a xmas special?) as this as the others have said a slow burner but gives Matt Berry the chance to be the main solo lead with a great support cast as opposed to a character like in the brilliant IT crowd.
on 4 February 2014
Matt Berry plays Matt Berry in this Matt Berry show, starring Matt Berry. Matt Berry excells at doing that voice that he does. Somehow, it never gets old even though he's been doing it for at least 10 years. This is not a sarcastic review though, I could watch this all day.
on 19 November 2013
I'm in a rush, so I'll have to use single words to describe this excellent series from Matt Berry:

Funny
Sports Vest
Fandango
Purchase
Plough
Forsyth
Submarines

Favourite series of the year, and will fit nicely next to Snuffbox, and Berry's other work on your DVD shelf.

Sorry, I have to shoot off.
88 comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 November 2013
Toast - I mean Matt Berry - is fast becoming a national comedy treasure. From what I've seen of it on TV this has been great fun; worth it for the brilliant opening credits alone. Episode 3 with the Alan Ford cameo was particularly good. While I'm here can we please have some more Garth Marenghi?!
on 11 April 2014
This is up there with league of gentlemen and mighty boosh. Matt Berry and his amazing voice stars in this very well written and very funny almost sitcom about a failed actor and his galavantings ! Many brilliant moments,where we were laughing out loud and rewinding again and again. Funniest bit is the bruce forsythe special feature !!!
on 28 November 2013
Richard Ayoade and Noel Fielding might have been tempted by the millions to be made appearing on so called comedy panel shows. Here, though, is a guy who has stuck to what he knows best - Acting. Lets hear it for Steven Toast - An Actor!
on 22 August 2014
I love Matt Berry and as far as im concerned He can do no wrong.This like Snuffbox has gone a long way to try and do something different and original and has sadly not been rewarded with a Second series.So get out there and buy this,you will not be sorry if you're a fan of Matt's previous work.
on 29 March 2015
Perhaps the most underrated genius and funny tv show made, it is just full of nonsense and ridiculousness that just make it unique. Matt Berry is superb...its totally off the wall but absolute class too, i laughed my way through both series and several times just thinking about it...brilliant
VINE VOICEon 31 December 2013
This must have been a fairly hard sell:

"Well, you see it's about an actor. A pretty bad one, actually. He's appalling pretentious. He's currently in the worst play ever. And he does lots of bad voiceover work too. Oh, and his agent's a total bitch."

"Right...."

The best sitcoms work for many reasons. sometimes it's about relationships (think Steptoe & Son, Arkwright & Granville), sometimes it's about putting an ensemble into fully-formed world (like the Young Ones). Toast kind of falls into the latter camp, but beyond that it's hard to categorise.

Berry himself is wonderful, with that fruity, rather louche voice being put to the best use possible. The running voiceover jokes are just priceless (the phrase "Yes, I can hear you Clem Fandango" is now a tone on my phone) and they are just one part of a beautiful mix. What makes it eve n better is the supporting cast of characters: his agent, Ray Purchase, Mrs Purchase, the parade of faces in the voiceover booths. In plotting terms it reminds me a lot of the little regarded Labrats: a succession of seemingly tangentially connected events build up to a final, preposterous set up with a winning pay-off every time. The use of the repetition devices is also very...Harry Hill. But it takes those influences and runs somewhere new with them.

Others have mentioned it was something of a slow burner and this is indeed true, but stick with it. That repetition beds in very quickly and those themes pay off week after week. Each episode has something to recommend, though it is true the later ones are just a little stronger.

Roll on series 2!
on 17 August 2014
I'm glad I stumbled across this first series (of hopefully many) as I hadn't even heard of the programme!

Those familiar with Matt Berry from The Mighty Boosh and The IT Crowd won't be surprised that this comedy is rather leftfield, and if you like those shows then this should definitely appeal. When at its best, Toast of London is asthma-inducing. This isn't hyperbole; there were times I actually struggled to breathe. If these moments had been more regular I'd have definitely given it five stars; alas, some episodes are funnier than others. (Also, the song-per-episode element seems sneakily thieved from the Mighty(er) Boosh.)

That said, I am probably being harsh and there's lots to recommend, particularly the voiceover booth moments - the one in the final episode ('Bonus Ball') had me clawing for my inhaler. Hysterical.

Toast of London also has something to say. The zany/surreal nature of the comedy perfectly satirizes, I suspect, the writers' own professional experiences. After all, what's more surreal than showbusiness?

It's not for everyone - as the (thankfully few) one-star reviews attest - but it certainly amused this reviewer, who watched the entire series in one sitting.

Very funny. Recommended!